The Student Room Group

Top Universities for Mathematics

What are the top universities for mathematics?
Reply 1
Depends how "top" you're looking for. At the very top, there's Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial. After that there are a whole host of very good universities, such as UCL, Durham, and Bath, to name just a few. :smile:
Original post by Meg94
Depends how "top" you're looking for. At the very top, there's Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial. After that there are a whole host of very good universities, such as UCL, Durham, and Bath, to name just a few. :smile:

Thanks.
Reply 3
Original post by SherlockHolmes
What are the top universities for mathematics?

That's not a very easy question to answer. This list is pretty much the best that anyone can say with any degree of accuracy.

Original post by Meg94

If you want some more detail I would say that it goes:
Tier 1: Cambridge
Tier 2: Imperial, Oxford, and Warwick (Oxford being perhaps slightly ahead of the other two)
Tier 3: Bath, Bristol, and UCL
Tier 4: Durham, KCL, and St. Andrews
This is just my personal opinion and I have probably missed out some very good maths courses...
Reply 4
Original post by dbou
That's not a very easy question to answer. This list is pretty much the best that anyone can say with any degree of accuracy.

Tier 2: Imperial, Oxford, and Warwick (Oxford being perhaps slightly ahead of the other two)
This is just my personal opinion and I have probably missed out some very good maths courses...

I'd probably add Durham to Tier 3 and Nottingham to Tier 3/4
Apart from the obvious ones like Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews, Warwick etc, I know that universities like Lancaster, Stirling, Birmingham, Aberdeen, Oxford Brookes, Strathclyde, Bristol, Exeter and Leeds all have a very good reputation for Maths :smile:
Top for what? Flipping burgers?

Cambridge has the hardest offer (1,1 STEP)

Imperial has the highest graduate starting salary.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dbou

Thanks for the additional detail - Which of these universities are likely to require STEP?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by dbou

Really, St Andrews as higher than Edinburgh? And I'd object to your placement of Oxford as significantly below The Other Place. :tongue:
Thanks for the additional detail - Which of these universities are likely to require STEP?

Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial and UCL require STEP. All the others don't require it but would likely give you a lower offer if offering it.
Reply 10
Whys is everyone leaving out Manchester? It has one of the strongest mathematics departments in the UK.

The top 4: Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial (perhaps in the order to, in case you want to break them further, lol)
Reply 11

Cambridge and Warwick are the only two which require STEP currently, but Imperial has been giving out some offers requiring STEP recently. Bath and Bristol can give out offers which are slightly easier on the A-Level side but have a STEP requirement.

Original post by anyone_can_fly
Really, St Andrews as higher than Edinburgh? And I'd object to your placement of Oxford as significantly below The Other Place. :tongue:

It may be closer than I think, but in MY OPINION it is :P (This holds for both)
Original post by dbou

It may be closer than I think, but in MY OPINION it is :P (This holds for both)

Looking at this, your first year seems much the same as ours. I was of the impression that the course is basically the same for the first three years, but that the Cam one pulls ahead in Part III? (If you don't feel like an online argument on this, you don't have to reply :smile: . I'm actually quite curious about how different the two courses are, I'm not trying to do "my uni's better than yours".)
Ok, thanks everyone.

Reply 14
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Looking at this, your first year seems much the same as ours. I was of the impression that the course is basically the same for the first three years, but that the Cam one pulls ahead in Part III? (If you don't feel like an online argument on this, you don't have to reply :smile: . I'm actually quite curious about how different the two courses are, I'm not trying to do "my uni's better than yours".)

This will give you a more detailed look at what our first year involved :smile: I think the only reason I have been given that the Cam course is more advanced is that we had to go through STEP to get in, but that doesn't seem to be an adequate reason. I think it would probably be impossible to give a good answer without sitting both courses, but I suspect that you are probably right about the first three years. :smile: Although Part III here is definitely harder than yours, you need to get a first to get into ours...
Lol I hate these threads, just full of peoples opinions rather than facts.

Anything in the top 20 is fine. Even after that it's all a matter of reputation rather than actual quality of teaching.
Reply 16
Looking at Oxford past papers, problem sheets, lecture notes etc. I can't see how Oxford's course is superior to Warwick's.
Original post by jj193
Looking at Oxford past papers, problem sheets, lecture notes etc. I can't see how Oxford's course is superior to Warwick's.

They offer decent applied modules?
Reply 18
cambridge, imperial, warwick
oxford is apparantly not as good as these

Quick Reply

Latest