The Student Room Group

HNC after being at uni

I'm in Scotland and I'm currently in second year (out of 4) of uni but I'm dropping out to do a HNC and hopefully reapply to a different course (also 4 years). Can anyone tell me what I'm entitled to receive funding for? Will it just be years 3 and 4 of my new degree programme, meaning I have to fund my HNC and years 1 and 2 by myself?
I'd of thought you could apply to saas since you're still studying. But I don't really have a clue to be perfectly honest! Just guessing :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by jennifeer11
I'd of thought you could apply to saas since you're still studying. But I don't really have a clue to be perfectly honest! Just guessing :tongue:

I think SAAS only fund so many years, I think I'll be going over it.
Original post by Vitamin D
I think SAAS only fund so many years, I think I'll be going over it.

Agh, could try phoning to ask? Had a look on SAAS and found a link to other sources of funding if you aren't eligable for SAAS.

http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/other_funding.htm

:smile:
Reply 4
I'd love to know the info for this too. If anyone finds out anything further please help.
I'll also return the favour in regards to information.
Reply 5
As far as I am aware student finance bodies of England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales will fund you for 4 Years.

If you have used up 2 years already, this means that you will have 2 years funding left.

This means they will only fund years 3 and 4 as they fund backwards from the end of the course to prevent people from taking the money then dropping out.

So if this is correct then yes you will have to fund the HND (Years 1 and 2).

Hope this helps,

Daryl
Reply 6
Original post by daryl1
As far as I am aware student finance bodies of England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales will fund you for 4 Years.

If you have used up 2 years already, this means that you will have 2 years funding left.

This means they will only fund years 3 and 4 as they fund backwards from the end of the course to prevent people from taking the money then dropping out.

So if this is correct then yes you will have to fund the HND (Years 1 and 2).

Hope this helps,

Daryl

They fund you for length of course + 1 - previous years study.
Reply 7
Original post by OU Student
They fund you for length of course + 1 - previous years study.

Yeah so basically 4 year course - 2 years study = 2 years funding backwards from the end of the course.
Reply 8
Original post by daryl1
Yeah so basically 4 year course - 2 years study = 2 years funding backwards from the end of the course.

But Scottish degrees are 4 years so doesn't that entitle me to 5 since it's length of course + 1 year - support already received?
Reply 9
Original post by Vitamin D
But Scottish degrees are 4 years so doesn't that entitle me to 5 since it's length of course + 1 year - support already received?

I don't think they fund length of course + 1 year. They just found you for 4 years. So it's only the length of your course. Which means you have 2 years of funding left.

edit: since I've been negged, I guess I'm wrong?? What else do SAAS fund?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending