The Student Room Group

Man? Guy? Lad? Bloke? Fella?

What are the differences..?

Which one would you prefer..?
As long as he has a penis, I'm not too fussy.
Original post by Londonburger
What are the differences..?

Which one would you prefer..?

They all denote the male gender so it is not immediately obvious what the variant meanings are.

I do not prefer any of them as I may be biologically male, but I am agendered and find it uncomfortable to be referred to by male or female terminology.
Original post by iammeyouareyou

Out of context that probably sounds quite bad.
Original post by ~MiserableLogic~
They all denote the male gender so it is not immediately obvious what the variant meanings are.

I do not prefer any of them as I may be biologically male, but I am agendered and find it uncomfortable to be referred to by male or female terminology.

So you're an it?
Reply 5
Original post by iammeyouareyou

You and your mind :sexface:
Reply 6
I would prefer 'male'.

I wouldn't want somebody to refer to me as 'bloke' or 'fella' - that suggests a closeness that I just don't like. And the words sound horrible too
Original post by So Instinct
Out of context that probably sounds quite bad.

Haha, I'm not thinking straight, I'm supposed to be writing an essay that's due tomorrow but instead I'm here. Inside, I want to cry.
Man. A man is an adult male and that's what I am, all the other options have some other connotations.
I never use the term 'man' really for males who are in 19- 24. I still think of them as boys, although maybe that's because I only really know students who are still in that mindset. If a male is working in a full time job and he's around 23 and has a mortgage etc then I'd probably call him a man.
I don't really use bloke or fella. I use lad when I'm joking about someone who behaves like a lad. I don't really tend to say 'guy' as much as 'boy' but they mean the same thing to me.
Reply 10
If you're the type of person that people refer to as 'LAD' you're probably a colossal dickhead
Man or guy are alright.. I think lad suggests a more immature guy since the explosion of 'lad culture'. Bloke gives me the impression of a more manlier guy, and fella sounds a bit gay to me.

In any case, I don't take offense to any of the terms, people have their preferred terms so let them use whatever they want.
If I had to choose, it'd be man. I can live with bloke and fella (difficult not to where I live). 'Lad' makes me think of either a very small child or the sort of person I wouldn't wish to be defined as, 'guy' just sounds wrong.
Guy
I like to think of myself as a geezer.
Reply 15
Original post by ~MiserableLogic~

aint you just a special snowflake:rolleyes:
Reply 16
I like to use "bruv" when referring to a male...

Kidding...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gentlemen, please.
They all mean the same thing. I know there's that nonsense people refer to as 'Lad culture' but I believe the term lad is just another universal term for any given male.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending