The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Unconditional offer for Nottingham 2013!

Got an unconditional offer for German at Nottingham :smile: really excited about starting there next year! Who else is going? And what are you studying! Any fellow linguists out there? :biggrin:

Jess

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for German at Nottingham too!
Haven't started getting offers yet though, waiting on head of sixth form to write my reference haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hannxo
I've applied for German at Nottingham too!
Haven't started getting offers yet though, waiting on head of sixth form to write my reference haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo exciting :smile: is Nottingham your first choice? Where are you from? :smile:
Original post by jessdale18
Got an unconditional offer for German at Nottingham :smile: really excited about starting there next year! Who else is going? And what are you studying! Any fellow linguists out there? :biggrin:

Jess

I applied for Economics mit Deutsch at Nottingham, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Very unlikely to go there though, as I've got AA from Durham and interviews from UCL/Cambridge. It is a great uni, though, so congrats :smile:
Original post by The Polymath
I applied for Economics mit Deutsch at Nottingham, but haven't heard back from them yet.

Very unlikely to go there though, as I've got AA from Durham and interviews from UCL/Cambridge. It is a great uni, though, so congrats :smile:

Nottingham laughs at Durham for Economics; two economic Nobel prize winners in its alumni...but I don't need to point that out to you :biggrin:
Original post by Meat is Murder
Nottingham laughs at Durham for Economics; two economic Nobel prize winners in its alumni...but I don't need to point that out to you :biggrin:

It doesn't really 'laugh at Durham' where did you get that from?
As River85 said, "How selective a university is at undergraduate level has little relevance to its research and its potential to produce Nobel Laureates."
I'll admit though, the difference is negligible, but then I'm not doing Econ at Durham - I'm doing Maths+Econ with German, via Natural Sciences. Warwick and St Andrews don't have any Nobel Laureates either, but Warwick Econ > Notts and Durham :tongue:

Looking at the Notts Maths+Econ BSc, I have to say their module selection is outstanding:
"Typical year-one modules

Analytical and Computational Foundations

Calculus

Introduction to Macroeconomics

Introduction to Microeconomics

Linear Mathematics

Probability

Statistics

Typical year-two modules

Careers Skills

Complex Functions

Econometrics

Experimental and Behavioural Economics

International Trade

Mathematical Analysis

Monetary Economics

Numerical Methods

Statistical Models and Methods

Typical year-three module

Advanced Financial Economics

Advanced Time Series Econometrics

Advanced Economics of International Trade

Coding and Cryptography

Game Theory

Group Theory

Industrial Organisation

International Money and Macroeconomics

Modelling Chaos and Disorder

Statistical Inference"

Really well thought out modules which go perfectly together, I'm impressed :tongue:
I now agree with you partially, in that the course itself at Notts (the straight Econ one) is a lot more mathematical and theoretical, whereas Durham's is an attempt to combine Economics and Business into one subject.
When comparing Maths+Econ course, though, which is what I'd do at Durham, I'd say Durham > Notts, as I can skip the Business crap and do Maths instead.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

thank you! Good luck wherever you end up :smile:
Reply 7
I've applied for English and German! Coming from a gap year, so I've already got my grades as well :smile: Nottingham is my first choice! I got an unconditional from Liverpool today, so fingers crossed :wink:
Reply 8
Ooo exciting :smile: is Nottingham your first choice? Where are you from? :smile:

It's my second choice, Warwick's my first :P. I'm from Norfolk :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Oo I have a friend at Warwick doing German and Spanish and he's loving it :smile: good luck! :smile:
Reply 10

Durham is excellent for economics as well. The margin between the two (if any) is not, by any means, so great that it's laughable to pick one over the other. Also, what are you, a sadist? Let the person with a Durham offer be happy about it, it's a brilliant university!
Reply 11
wrong thread sorry! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by saachi
Durham is excellent for economics as well. The margin between the two (if any) is not, by any means, so great that it's laughable to pick one over the other. Also, what are you, a sadist? Let the person with a Durham offer be happy about it, it's a brilliant university!

The poster the comment was directed at is applying to Nottingham. He has been mulling over which uni to apply to for weeks and the uni's he has selected have been argued for numerous times. I often post in his threads which is why the humour of my post was lost on you, but wasn't on him.
Original post by saachi

The poster the comment was directed at is applying to Nottingham. He has been mulling over which uni to apply to for weeks and the uni's he has selected have been argued for numerous times. I often post in his threads which is why the humour of my post was lost on you, but wasn't on him.

I think the answer is clear. In reputation and employability overall, Durham >> Notts. For Economics, Durham just edges it, but the fact is that employers will just look at the uni - they don't have time to compare stats for each course.

In terms of how good the courses themselves are, Notts' Economics course is more what I'm after in an L100 degree - more mathematical and theoretical, compared to Durham's crappy business modules and fluffy stuff.

If we look at what offer I have for Durham, though (Maths+Econ with German) then suddenly Durham>Notts, even > Notts' Maths+Econ course.

They're both excellent courses (the Maths+Econ ones) and probably very similar in content, and so the decision comes down to other factors such as employability, reputation, standard of fellow students etc. on which Durham wins.
The decision comes down to other factors such as employability, reputation, standard of fellow students etc. on which Durham wins.

Internationally, particularly in China, your statement here would be refuted however. There's no denying the prestige of Durham, and I don't wish to start heated debates about silly things. I am an English student, and Durham is top of the pile for that subject no doubt.
Reply 15
I think the answer is clear. In reputation and employability overall, Durham >> Notts. For Economics, Durham just edges it, but the fact is that employers will just look at the uni - they don't have time to compare stats for each course.

In terms of how good the courses themselves are, Notts' Economics course is more what I'm after in an L100 degree - more mathematical and theoretical, compared to Durham's crappy business modules and fluffy stuff.

If we look at what offer I have for Durham, though (Maths+Econ with German) then suddenly Durham>Notts, even > Notts' Maths+Econ course.

They're both excellent courses (the Maths+Econ ones) and probably very similar in content, and so the decision comes down to other factors such as employability, reputation, standard of fellow students etc. on which Durham wins.

Exactly, congrats on your Durham offer! :biggrin: I remember when I got mine, was so ecstatic (for English though).
Original post by saachi
Exactly, congrats on your Durham offer! :biggrin: I remember when I got mine, was so ecstatic (for English though).

:smile: Now fingers crossed that I'll reject Durham (because it means I'll have got my 1st/2nd instead :laugh:)
Reply 17
Original post by phwack
I've applied for English and German! Coming from a gap year, so I've already got my grades as well :smile: Nottingham is my first choice! I got an unconditional from Liverpool today, so fingers crossed :wink:

Omg you're just like me then, cos I've got an unconditional for Liverpool but Notts is my first choice now :smile: I'm hoping to do another language when I'm there as well as German. English and German sounds really impressive, don't think my grades were good enough for that! What are you doing on your gap year? Hope you get into Notts :smile:
Reply 18
Omg you're just like me then, cos I've got an unconditional for Liverpool but Notts is my first choice now :smile: I'm hoping to do another language when I'm there as well as German. English and German sounds really impressive, don't think my grades were good enough for that! What are you doing on your gap year? Hope you get into Notts :smile:

haha, what a coincidence! thanks, I hope so too :P Just realised that there's only 4 places for my course, though, so I'm panicking a bit! ooh, I applied for German and Russian at Nottingham last year, got an offer but ended up not going! i'm just working at the minute, so not very adventurous.. how about you?
Reply 19
Original post by phwack
haha, what a coincidence! thanks, I hope so too :P Just realised that there's only 4 places for my course, though, so I'm panicking a bit! ooh, I applied for German and Russian at Nottingham last year, got an offer but ended up not going! i'm just working at the minute, so not very adventurous.. how about you?

I wouldnt worry about it, you'll probably be fine. Yeah im just working as an aupair in mannheim. Its alrite but im coming home in 3 weeks and then yeah im just gonna work too. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending