The Student Room Group

Girls, would you ever turn down a proposal if the ring was too small?

Hey girls just a random question popped into my mind. If you were with your boyfriend for years who has always promised you the best there is, then he pops the question but gives you a silver ring with no diamonds/stones or just a cheap ring would you refuse on that alone?

What is a factor that would make you say no?

Btw this isn't about me lol, like I said its a random question haha :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Absolutely not. Any girl who refuses a proposal on the basis that the ring isn't expensive-looking enough isn't worth proposing to.
If somebody rejects a marriage proposal, solely because the ring is too small, then their continued existence is unfortunate for the human race.
Reply 3
of course not, who would do that!? The ring is just a symbol at the end of the day.
What if it was like a stainless steel ring? Lol
No, of course not.
I wonder what Beyoncé's stance on this matter is...
what if it was a hoola hoop srs question
Original post by Panda Bear
I wonder what Beyoncé's stance on this matter is...

If you like it then you should have put a ring on it! :awesome:
I'd even consider proposing with a cheerio if it was big enough. If you get to a stage where you're both considering marriage I'm pretty sure she's into you and not the potential of a nice, shiny ring.
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
what if it was a hoola hoop srs question

Lmaooo I'd say yes for that hahaha
Reply 11
Original post by fluffykitten123
Hey girls just a random question popped into my mind. If you were with your boyfriend for years who has always promised you the best there is, then he pops the question but gives you a silver ring with no diamonds/stones or just a cheap ring would you refuse on that alone?

What is a factor that would make you say no?

Btw this isn't about me lol, like I said its a random question haha :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way!! I mean if it was plastic obviously maybe... I think whoever I was with would know what sort of ring I would like if they knew me well enough. I think so long as they'd made a sufficient effort I wouldn't matter, it doesn't have to have cost loads or be a huge rock
Reply 12
My intial reaction was No! How shallow is that?
Then I rethought. If we were both reasonably well-off, I would be upset if he proposed with a ring that only cost about £50. However, I wouldn't expect him to spend thousands getting the "perfect" ring. Equally I wouldn't be upset with a £50 ring if he were struggling to make the rent every month, but I wouldn't expect him to propose unless that was clearly going to be a long-term siutation anyway.
No.

If you turned it down then you'd be incredibly selfish and not worthy of it.
No, the ring isn't important.
Reply 15
Do people actually do that?

I think I'd rather be proposed to with a haribo/hula hoop or cheerio on the basis that it is comical.

Plus if the relationship starts getting rocky you can just eat the ring and forget about it :biggrin:
Reply 16
It depends. Rings are ridiculously expensive, so if his gesture was sincere and he really thought about it, and truly meant it, then the price of the ring wouldn't mean anything and of course I'd accept.

But if he flung a £10 one he picked up on the way home from Tesco at me across the kitchen counter and said "wanna get married?" then I might have to say no. :colonhash: Although that'd go for an expensive one too...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pawsies
Do people actually do that?

I think I'd rather be proposed to with a haribo/hula hoop or cheerio on the basis that it is comical.

Plus if the relationship starts getting rocky you can just eat the ring and forget about it :biggrin:

Did that once with my best friend but the ring got too sticky!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IlexBlue
It depends. Rings are ridiculously expensive, so if his gesture was sincere and he really thought about it, and truly meant it, then the price of the ring wouldn't mean anything and of course I'd accept.

But if he flung a £10 one he picked up on the way home from Tesco at me across the kitchen counter and said "wanna get married?" then I might have to say no. :colonhash: Although that'd go for an expensive one too...

Hahaha this is epic
i wouldn't turn it down, obviously not. If they were on a good salary and it was clearly a piece of **** i'd maybe make a joke about it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending