The Student Room Group

How good at art to you have to be to do A Level Art?

I'm not terrible at art, but I'm not amazing either. Everybody in my class is much better than me. I'm predicted an A in GSCE Art, but I personally I think I'll get a B.

Is the standard of work much higher at A Level? For instance can you still get an A if you do all of the work necessary and it all links up, but it's not considered "the best" in the class?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
you have to be amazing at art to do it at alevel
Reply 2
Nah you don't have to be that amazing for A level like you said as long as if you do all of the work necessary and it all links up you will be fine
Reply 3
Original post by __Student__
Nah you don't have to be that amazing for A level like you said as long as if you do all of the work necessary and it all links up you will be fine

mate you have to be like van gof or picaso if not you will only get a C grade or below
Reply 4
Original post by YLIA
mate you have to be like van gof or picaso if not you will only get a C grade or below

Aww Calling Me 'mate'. Anyway, not for A level, for uni I agree
you dont actually need to be amazing to do art a-level as long as it is obvious of the effort you have put in and it all links up together and you have done all the elements required. Anyways art is really subjective even some painting that sell for thousands, i think my two year old cousin could do a better job... if it starts to go terribly wrong you could always go down the abstract art / sculpture / textile route ( i think with most boards ) if you enjoy it and are willing to put in the time, go for it
Reply 6
You just need to explain everything and link everything up, some girl who was crap at GCSE art, she got an F got into A level art, because they looked at her books and saw she explained a lot :L

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
I do A-Level Art, and I am predicted an A*.

I believe that if you wish to do Art at a high grade (A-A*) then there is only so much hard work, reading around, researching, practising etc. you can do. When it comes down to it, you need to have a natural flair and talent to achieve the top grade. This isn't, of course, a written law. You would certainly be able to do Art, there is much more variety of techniques and styles you can use (3D is an option too), so you can avoid dodgy areas of your skillset.
Reply 8
Original post by Dobrzynski
I do A-Level Art, and I am predicted an A*.

I believe that if you wish to do Art at a high grade (A-A*) then there is only so much hard work, reading around, researching, practising etc. you can do. When it comes down to it, you need to have a natural flair and talent to achieve the top grade. This isn't, of course, a written law. You would certainly be able to do Art, there is much more variety of techniques and styles you can use (3D is an option too), so you can avoid dodgy areas of your skillset.

What would 3D work involve? Also is photography an option for final pieces, as oppose to painting etc?
Reply 9
Original post by Emily Green
What would 3D work involve? Also is photography an option for final pieces, as oppose to painting etc?

As far as I know, 3D can be used for certain pieces but not all, although a 3D piece can be submitted as a final piece. As for photography, I'm very doubtful they would allow it. Though there are alternatives to paint (personally I'd rather not use paint), for instance inks, mixed media, oil pastel etc.

What did you get for your GCSE?
Reply 10

They don't tend to like photography as much due to the fact you could have just done A level photography. If you use it in mix media, it's usually okay.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 11
Original post by Dobrzynski
As far as I know, 3D can be used for certain pieces but not all, although a 3D piece can be submitted as a final piece. As for photography, I'm very doubtful they would allow it. Though there are alternatives to paint (personally I'd rather not use paint), for instance inks, mixed media, oil pastel etc.

What did you get for your GCSE?

I haven't finished my GSCEs yet, but I've been predicted an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't finished my GSCEs yet, but I've been predicted an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be fine, I can't tell you whether you will get a good grade in it or not,that's for you to decide. Just make sure you enjoy and interested in art, and you should be okay.
In contrast to what other people have said about photography - all my final pieces have been photographic outcomes and that has been absolutely fine and hasn't effected my mark at all! In fact, my teacher highly encourages it because the exam board like to see a use of technology instead of just traditional media all the time. I don't really agree with that view, but it benefits me as someone who veers more towards photography and digital drawing. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest