The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston Applicants + Attendees 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi I have applied to Kingston to do Mathematics and computing, I haven't heard anything from Kingston yet.
I have also applied to Greenwich for roughly the same course, and they have made me a conditional offer already, hurry up kingston lol

:smile:
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 21
Original post by jackie11
Hi I have applied to Kingston to do Mathematics and computing, I haven't heard anything from Kingston yet.
I have also applied to Greenwich for roughly the same course, and they have made me a conditional offer already, hurry up kingston lol

:smile:

Kingston>Greenwich ;D

Also a girl doing computing, rawr. Don't get enough of those, you will be bombarded by male attention probably.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by mariposa6
Hi, I applied to kingston but haven't heard anything yet :-(

What did you apply for, trust me lots of people haven't heard back. You're not the only one.
I reckon they will do most of the offers around January.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by gonon
I am going in for Renewable Energy engineering.

Sounds like a course that will have you travelling around to the different campuses for lectures.

One poor soul has to travel to all four campuses for his studies.
Reply 24
Original post by So Instinct

Also a girl doing computing, rawr. Don't get enough of those, you will be bombarded by male attention probably.

As a proud member of both the Computer and Videogame societies, I feel as though I should say something.

But I ain't got nothin', because I am the last person who should speak of such things. :colondollar:
Reply 25
Original post by Seaton
As a proud member of both the Computer and Videogame societies, I feel as though I should say something.

But I ain't got nothin', because I am the last person who should speak of such things. :colondollar:

Lol confusing post, what do you mean your the last person who should speak of such thing?
Reply 26
Lol confusing post, what do you mean your the last person who should speak of such thing?

Social awkwardness and the combating of pc nerd/gamer stereotypes. Would be hanging onto a peg as shoogly as Rafa Benitez's beside it. :biggrin:

There is going to be quite a shake up of the IT modules (and a few others) taught next year, some of the students (am led to believe it is a number, but would rather report 'numbers' I know) are unhappy with some of the material contained in and delivery of different modules. Don't do the courses so can't give my own opinion, but those in the society seem happy about the impending changes in their discussions.

Just thought I would throw that out there, maybe current IT students on the forum could enlighten new applicants further/otherwise?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Seaton
Sounds like a course that will have you travelling around to the different campuses for lectures.

One poor soul has to travel to all four campuses for his studies.

All four campuses....:eek::eek::eek:. I had better prepare myself, but i will like to know what student life in Kingston Uni is like. Could you break it down for me?
Reply 28
Original post by Seaton
Social awkwardness and the combating of pc nerd/gamer stereotypes. Would be hanging onto a peg as shoogly as Rafa Benitez's beside it. :biggrin:

There is going to be quite a shake up of the IT modules (and a few others) taught next year, some of the students (am led to believe it is a number, but would rather report 'numbers' I know) are unhappy with some of the material contained in and delivery of different modules. Don't do the courses so can't give my own opinion, but those in the society seem happy about the impending changes in their discussions.

Just thought I would throw that out there, maybe current IT students on the forum could enlighten new applicants further/otherwise?

Gotcha, haha.
I'm doing Media Tech so I guess that would include me too.
Doesn't sound too big of a deal, they're gonna change some of the content, we probably won't even notice it.
Reply 29
Original post by gonon
All four campuses....:eek::eek::eek:. I had better prepare myself, but i will like to know what student life in Kingston Uni is like. Could you break it down for me?

I live 1+ hour away by bus (going to start cycling rather though, but have chosen an incredibly +%^# time of the year to learn :s-smilie:), so as with many other things in the lives of normal people my view is rather limited, and you are best suited to wait for someone with a little more insight from halls/Kingston.

If that is what you are referring to, otherwise I am afraid I perform very poorly when presented with such an open ended question over a large topic primarily social in nature. Need specific questions.

Sorry if I don't seem to be of much help. :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Seaton
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes, if you paid £150 a week for accommodation (the norm around Kingston seems to be £120-140), that leaves you with £100 a week to play with.

Which is more than enough, me thinks you would have to be an alcoholic/heavy chain smoker/drug-addict/160kg behemoth that needs to eat 6000 calories a day to be unable to survive on that. :biggrin:

:tongue:

£1000 monthly is more than enough considering that you pay
£600 for accommodation with bills
£25 - £30 on travel
£120 on food and drink
£50 on entertainment
£50 on sports
£150 clothes, stationery, books
Reply 31
Original post by klika89

£50 on entertainment
£50 on sports
£150 clothes, stationery, books

I hope those are not figures that you think should be spent on a weekly basis. :confused:

I mean you could even afford Sky with £1000 a month! :eek:
Reply 32
Original post by Seaton
I hope those are not figures that you think should be spent on a weekly basis. :confused:

I mean you could even afford Sky with £1000 a month! :eek:

These are not figures you should spend on a weekly basis. It was just an example what could you do with 1K a month.

Although £150 for books and stationery in a first month of studies is fairly real
Reply 33
Original post by klika89
These are not figures you should spend on a weekly basis. It was just an example what could you do with 1K a month.

Although £150 for books and stationery in a first month of studies is fairly real

Aye.

Must say I felt pretty awesome getting all my textbooks second hand off Amazon for less that £80, whilst others spent double that on new ones.

A little annoying that a flood of core text books seemed to magically return to the shelves in the library after 2 weeks though.

If I could give anyone going into Accounting and Finance/Business with Accounting or any other business degree, use the library system to check for core text books, take them out and continuously renew them rather than forking out £££.
Reply 34
Original post by Seaton
Aye.

Must say I felt pretty awesome getting all my textbooks second hand off Amazon for less that £80, whilst others spent double that on new ones.

A little annoying that a flood of core text books seemed to magically return to the shelves in the library after 2 weeks though.

If I could give anyone going into Accounting and Finance/Business with Accounting or any other business degree, use the library system to check for core text books, take them out and continuously renew them rather than forking out £££.

I used to take books from the library for last 4 years (not at Kingston so I don't know how good the library is) and bought only those books that I really needed (ex. when I had to bring my own copy to the lectures- and it could not be from the library)
Reply 35
Original post by klika89
I used to take books from the library for last 4 years (not at Kingston so I don't know how good the library is) and bought only those books that I really needed (ex. when I had to bring my own copy to the lectures- and it could not be from the library)

Definiteky room for improvement my side with regards to misery, thought I had it covered but evidently not.

Only been to the Kingston Hill and Penrhyn Road Libraries, the former is far superior than the latter in my opinion, however both have all the resources I have needed so far, except the one Penrhyn Road doesn't have nearly enough computers or 'non-quiet' area computers, especially in comparison to Kingston Hill which has a really good, very modern library. Even has bathrooms. :smile:

Oh, and the uni is set to have an £80 million pound upgrade soon, surveys and what not are being done as to what the students feel is required, if you are coming in January definitely have a look see to determine what is needed and have your say! (I presume most students wouldn't be bothered given the publicity the surveys have received so far, so every opinion added is worth more than it should be)
Reply 36
Kingston>Greenwich ;D

Is that saying Kingston is greater than Greenwich?? lol

aww great, just when I'm thinking I might be gay haha
Reply 37
Original post by jackie11
Is that saying Kingston is greater than Greenwich?? lol

aww great, just when I'm thinking I might be gay haha

Maybe :awesome: Or maybe I'm just trying to make friends who are going to kingston :holmes:

Lol, I doubt that will stop them. Unless you stick a sign on your forehead saying "I'm Gay". You never know, it might get fashionable.
A few girls I know have though about being gay, think it's normal haha.

It's funny because your doing psychology right?
That's what I did until I went into computer sci =P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Maybe :awesome: Or maybe I'm just trying to make friends who are going to kingston :holmes:

Lol, I doubt that will stop them. Unless you stick a sign on your forehead saying "I'm Gay". You never know, it might get fashionable.
A few girls I know have though about being gay, think it's normal haha.

aww ok, well as I have heard back from Greenwich already and Greenwich is a bit closer to home and easier to get to and from, its my first choice.

Haha, if im not interested im gonna let them know in a very obvious way lol
I will be looking to pull one or some women there myself haha I feel the urge to experiment at least

and hey I'm Jackie, nice to meet you :smile:
Reply 39

It's funny because your doing psychology right?
That's what I did until I went into computer sci =P

I am doing Psychology as well as Mathematics at A Level, yes

aww kool, how was computer science? how far into your course are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending