The Student Room Group

Should mobile phones be banned?

Scroll to see replies

My dad said the day the school could guarantee I would be safe from the moment I left school grounds to the moment I arrived home would be the day I wouldn't take a phone to school. However, it was always turned off and in my bag during school hours.
I don't think that phones should be put into a locker or anything like that because there is an increased chance that they could be stolen. I have issues with confiscation for the same reason.

As for universities, well they're adults. Yes it's rude, but they're paying to be there and they're mature enough to know that not only is it rude, but they're wasting their own time and money.
Reply 21
Original post by CarryOn123

I personally ban mobiles when I'm out with my friends otherwise everyone is on their phones 24/7

You enforce a mobile phone ban on your friends? :confused:

...Do you also intimidate them into spending time with you? :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
In my school we had a not seen and not heard policy. Nobody was saying you weren't allowed it, but if you had it out in view or it rang in class, you had it taken away. It seemed to work well enough even though I had a clear pencil case on the desk with mine in, the screen lit up when I received a message and I was sent out for that which seemed a bit extreme.
Reply 23
I can see why they would do this in a school...but sometimes having a mobile phone to communicate with parents is essential, so banning them outright is silly. Having zero tolerance in school hours, however, is different.
Original post by Converse Rocker
I agree with you, I was just pointing out that mobile phones are one of the problems.

I prefer the word 'debate' :smile:

m8 we could debate all day and all night lol it dont matter, nothing we can do to help so might aswell just accept this country is full of melts..which is fact btw the england is the thickest in Europe .. so bad lol
Original post by fire2burn
:dontknow: My school always prohibited them, if you were caught using one before the end of the school day it would be confiscated. You'd then be handed an after school detention and you wouldn't get the phone back until a parent came in to collect it and sign for it. If you were caught a second time you were sent to the isolation room for a week.

There is no need for pupils to be using phones during the school day, after school is fair enough as they might need to arrange being picked up early for instance if an after school club is cancelled.

This image sums it up for me, during the school day there is only one thing that pupils need to concern themselves with:
facebook_why_dont_you_face_book_and_study-300x298.jpg

My school was pretty much the same as this, apart from the isolation room. Is that as bad as it sounds?
Reply 26
No, what a stupid question. Though shouldnt be allowed on them during lessons.
It's not that rare is it? my middle and high school both completely banned phones but i think that was more of an "if they get stolen its your fault for bringing them in" thing than anything else.
I've never have a smart phone, never had a phone that could get anywhere near the internet so its never been a problem for me..i do text alot in lectures though admittedly..
Reply 28
My school used to have us hand in the phones during the day and we get them back after school. If you get caught with one, you're warned a couple of times, then they inform their parents. Banning phones is a bit harsh. But for younger students it might be a good idea to have them switch it off. I've seen so many young kids (10-14) with phones and I'm not sure I agree with that.
Reply 29
I it should not be banned,but it should be lower price.
I don't think they should be banned. I don't think you'd completely be able to do that anyway. Use them at break time and lunch time by all means, but teachers should be stricter about them in class. I know I always got away with texting in lessons, particularly in the Sixth Form, and quite openly too.
Did all of you go private school or something? (wait this is TSR :facepalm:) I've never heard of a school where mobiles had to be handed in before the start of the day. Wow and I thought my old secondary school was unnecessarily strict. Out of interest, what would happen if your phone got lost in the process?

Also change the thread title cause it sounds incredibly idiotic taken out of context, "should mobile phones be banned?" I mean really, REALLY?!!? :lolwut:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thetopnotch
My school was pretty much the same as this, apart from the isolation room. Is that as bad as it sounds?

It was a bare room with just chairs and desks, supervised by the deputy principal (a real no nonsense man). Pupils in isolation would be sent work from their teachers which they would then have to complete in silence, they would also have to spend all break times in the room isolated from friends and other pupils. I imagine it was probably dreadfully boring, basically exam conditions all day for a whole week.
Reply 33
It will just end up with people becoming more skilled at hiding them. Girls for example, can easily put a phone in their bra and you wouldnt know its there.
Well, Education is for learning. I believe in acting nicely, and respecting students. I'd have a policy where by you are demanded to have your phone on silent, and cannot use it during lesson times. You can, however, use your social media on breaks. As it is their break, they are entitled to spent their time on what it is they wish to do.

Failure to comply with such a rule will result in the absence of their phone, i.e. being taken away from them for the lesson. Multiple offences could then lead to something more?

I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt though. :smile:
Original post by Ice Constricter
Did all of you go private school or something? (wait this is TSR :facepalm:) I've never heard of a school where mobiles had to be handed in before the start of the day.

No, I have never been to a private school. Which is exactly why I raised this point, because from high school onwards I've seen people taking out their phones all the time in class.

Maybe some teachers are too soft on the issue? Both my school and college say you can't use your phone in lesson, but people still do. Which is why I asked about an outright ban.

Also change the thread title cause it sounds incredibly idiotic taken out of context, "should mobile phones be banned?" I mean really, REALLY?!!? :lolwut:

This the 'UK Education' forum, I'm sure people will understand what I mean.
(edited 11 years ago)
How you can you really ban them though? They're not going to search everyones bags at the start of the day, and i don't see why you should be banned from using them during your lunch/break. They're already banned in lessons and will be confiscated if you're caught with it out, so although they do cause a distraction, it's quite a difficult rule to impose. It won't stop anybody taking them to school.
Original post by Rob da Mop
There's no reason whatsoever to have one turned on in school time. They just distract people in lessons and cause people to misbehave. TO ban them completely seems harsh as many people will want them to contact parents etc. after school, but making them be handed in at the start of the day or similar has my full support.

a school of, say, 800 students handing their phones in and then coming back at the end of the day to collect them again? it would be chaos! :tongue:
Reply 38
My Headmaster at my secondary school banned all mobile phones, apart from having them turned off and in your bag (wasn't even allowed them out at lunch time, although everyone still did)
Original post by Rob da Mop
There's no reason whatsoever to have one turned on in school time. They just distract people in lessons and cause people to misbehave. TO ban them completely seems harsh as many people will want them to contact parents etc. after school, but making them be handed in at the start of the day or similar has my full support.

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending