The Student Room Group

University of Worcester - Nursing - Sept 2013

I currently have firmed offer for Sept 2013 entry for Mental Health Nursing. I was wondering if anyone has an offer or is applying to Worcester. It would be nice to meet some others as it is a small university and not an overly big cohort.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody else yet? :biggrin:
Reply 2
I have :smile:. For sociology and education studies!:smile: just hoping I get the grades :smile:. Are you staying in halls or student housing? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi - I have but for childrens nursing. I have found the same as you that there does not appear to be anyone else going haha. There are only 11 in the cohort for childrens nursing. Hopefully come the end of March/April time the Uni will contact us with some more information I'm sure thats what they did last year xxx
Reply 4
After, you write about the group activity :smile:
I've firmed for mental health nursing at Worcester!! See you in September :smile:)
Reply 6
Yay!!!!!

Are you excited? I firmed back in Nov, its been a long wait but its seems to be approaching quite quickly! I can't wait to get started!

Kerry :smile:
Original post by kerryjayne21
Yay!!!!!

Are you excited? I firmed back in Nov, its been a long wait but its seems to be approaching quite quickly! I can't wait to get started!

Im excited and nervous lol!! I'm at college atm doing my Access course but because that's almost finished, really starting to think about what Uni is going to be like! I think im most worried that i wont fit in as I'll be almost 35 when i start Uni! At least I already live in Worcester so I'm familiar with the Uni & I know the programme leader for the Nursing courses as I used to work with her at Worcester Royal Hospital lol!! :smile:
Reply 8
I'm just finishing up my access course too, I do mine at Worcester college of tecnology, where do you do yours? I'm pretty local too I recently moved from Worcester to Bromsgrove, however I did move to Worcester from Lancashire a few years ago. I'm a mature student too I'm 30, it's really nice to know I'm not the only one! Really can't wait to get started now :-)
Reply 9
i've got an interview for children's nursing on wednesday! So nervous and i have no idea what to do with this article haha. Could you give me any tips? What sort of things did you get from the article? x
We were able to take notes in with us so I used spider diagram. I just noted down important details like the effect on nurses, pros an cons of using psychological approaches etc. I also did a little extra research and got some figures about childhood obesity as the article I felt was generic so I could direct my essay towards children. Also I included some information from the discussion so take a few notes then. Although I didn't do a lot. Have some sort of essay plan , ie intro, pros and cons, effects on nurses, what nurses could bring to the a psychological approach etc. if you need any other help let me know!! Is worcester your first choice or have u applied elsewhere???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Think of the article as something to start discussion, in my group we went completely off tangent, covered all sorts of things but still had a great discussion between us and plenty to present to the other groups. When I did the group task there were myself and two others who where Mental health applicants and 4 others who where there for adult in our group. The MH applicants seemed more focused on the psychological aspects of obesity and the adult applicants who focused more on the physiological aspects. But I think the point is the article can stimulate discussion from many different points of view and they want to see how you interact with others and present your opinions and views. Remember to be courteous and polite and not to talk over others or dominate too much.

You can research around it in any ways you seem fit but I think the obvious place to start would be with a definition of obesity and some statistics. I would also advise that you take notes with you. I had a huge amount of research, not only was it useful for reminding me of points I wanted to raise it was handy for the written part as the written exam was the summarise what we had discussed as a group.

As you are child branch you will probably find that the current obesity statistics and estimations of future child obesity rates will provide some interesting discussion. You can also look things like obesity's links to other diseases and the cost of this on the NHS. Think about how this could be reduced in other ways as well as psychological interventions, such as health promotion and current health promotion initiatives such as healthy schools, change4life and the eatwell plate. Is prevention (education of children) better than cure (CBT/treatment of illnesses in later life)? You may wish to look at eating disorders and the use of CBT for them, is obesity a psychological disorder? Can childhood obesity cause psychological issues? You could also look at family attitudes to healthy eating and activity levels, are children who have obese parents more like to become obese themselves?

Best of luck for Wednesday, try not to get too nervous, they are very lovely people there :smile:

Kerry xx
(edited 11 years ago)
Good luck for Wednesday, like Kerry said use the article as a discussion point & also take an essay plan with you. Also make sure you get your point across during the discussion but be mindful not to talk over other people & make sure you have something to say when you do the group presentation following the discussion. I was surprised that two people in another group said nothing during the presentation & just stood there. Remember this is your opportunity to showcase yourself!!

Kerry - I am doing my Access course at Worc Sixth Form, one of my friends is at the tech tho, Kerry Fallon? I'm excited too, just want to get stuck into it now!! :smile:))
Reply 13
I do (done, just had my last assignment/exam grade back to make up my 60 credits) the evening part time course, we do have quite a few Kerry's in my class but I'm not sure we have that one! :biggrin:
Reply 14
thankyou so much everyone that's helped so much! xx
Reply 15
I know nobody has posted here for a while but had offer for mental health today and wanting to say hi :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hey!!!!

Congratulations on your offer! Are you local to the area or moving into halls?

Reply 17
Thanks kerryjayne21 :smile: will be commuting, I'm only in Birmingham so not far :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
If you use facebook there is a page for all us new starters - Worcester Nursing Induction. It has tasks on for the summer school days and session plans. The person who runs the induction posts lots of useful information on it. Once added to there if you reply to the mental health group post I can add you to a group which has just the mental health September starters in and you can speak to the rest of the cohort.

Have you selected a summer school day yet?

Reply 19
I have a place confirmed for September for Adult Nursing! I'm going to the summer school day on Saturday, is anyone else?

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending