The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Which University? Manchester or Sussex

I have applied to study Engineering with a Foundation Year at Manchester and Sussex for 2013 entry, and I received offers from both.

Now my main dilemma is where to go!!

Manchester (41st) does fairly badly on Domestic Rankings compared to Sussex (27th) who do quite well, but international rankings Manchester is 49th in the world compared to Sussex's 110th. (see attached links)

Manchester seems to be more prestigious, but Sussex seems more friendly. I would just like some views on general things about the two universities and their respective cities.

Things like :
Nightlife / Social Life
Campus Life
Graduate Employment Prospects
Accommodation
Cost
Culture
The Course if anyone studies it?
Most importantly did you enjoy your time?

Just generally how you feel about the university you went to.
Any opinion is more then welcome, please do share your experiences, any feedback will be really helpful.

Links for reference:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...gue-table-2013
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u.../world-ranking
manchester is amazing seriously... have a mate at sussex and he is having a blast too but i dont think they compare...

Can't speak for anything relating to engineering but i know manchester always underperforms on ratings because they don't force us to fill out student satisfaction surveys. The academic history and global respect (33/world) speaks for itself really. Don't be a rankings slave its not like employers have the year on year rankings sheet when looking at applicants.

In cheapest accommodation and its about £84 a week, it'll be cheaper next year as average rents round fallowfield is £60 + bills. I love the campus and the city, so many nightclubs there really is something for everyone.

any questions just ask
(edited 11 years ago)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by rugbyladosc
manchester is amazing seriously... have a mate at sussex and he is having a blast too but i dont think they compare...

Can't speak for anything relating to engineering but i know manchester always underperforms on ratings because they don't force us to fill out student satisfaction surveys. The academic history and global respect (33/world) speaks for itself really. Don't be a rankings slave its not like employers have the year on year rankings when looking at applicants.

In cheapest accommodation and its about £84 a week, it'll be cheaper next year as average rents round fallowfield is £60 + bills. I love the campus and the city, so many nightclubs there really is something for everyone.

any questions just ask

What would you recommend for accommodation , money aside, somewhere very sociable and where people don't lock themselves in their rooms all the time. I know at Sussex it seems to be like the cheaper the accommodation the more fun you have!
Original post by Confused Panda
What would you recommend for accommodation , money aside, somewhere very sociable and where people don't lock themselves in their rooms all the time. I know at Sussex it seems to be like the cheaper the accommodation the more fun you have!

Yea i reckon the most fun accommodation is the cheapest. im in oak house fallowfield which is the cheapest self-catered. The whole OP complex are known as the party halls but Oak House (self catered) and tower (catered) and without a doubt the most live!
Reply 4
I'm from Brighton and study at Manchester.

The nightlife in Manchester is better than in Brighton I'd say, also you have a far bigger choice. I'd say Brighton is a nicer place to be in the day time though, it's got a milder climate and the locals are generally friendly. Has quite a bohemian feel at times, quite prosperous and definitely in vogue at the moment. As Universities I would have them on a par, with Manchester giving you more options if you're proactive, and obviously more respected on an international scale.

Either are good choices though.
Reply 5
The Manchester domestic ranking is always poor because of the student satisfaction rather than anything reputation related. However you may want to take this into account because of the teaching quality, try and speak to current Manchester engineers if you can and find out what they think.

In terms of job prospects Manchester nearly always comes in top 3 on the graduate targeting survey of the top 100 companies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending