The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Anna10
Heya
I would appriciate some help on this 30 mark question for my AS politics:

"To what extent has the UK political system become more democratic in recent years?"

It might not be hard to some but it is in for tomorrow and i am at a dead end.
cheers:smile:

Wrong forum.
Reply 2
hello.. ok basically, you have to look closely at New Labour, and how Blair has brought changes to the constitution to make it more democratic, for example, you shud talk about the demolishon of most of the hereditary peers in the house of lords - a big democratic step. but to show the other side of this arguement, u cud say how like blair didnt demolish all the hereditary peers (although he promises to do so in the future), he still has considerable control over peers in lords - i.e. they are not chosen by the people - so its not very democratic. i dont know which txtbook u use, i used the phillip alan book, and it helps a lot... and nay txtbook u have will have the answer written in bullet points anyways, u just have to expand on it, u dont have to mention all the points, just mention 4 or 5, explain what u mean and give an example. goodluck!
Reply 3
Anna10
Heya
I would appriciate some help on this 30 mark question for my AS politics:

"To what extent has the UK political system become more democratic in recent years?"

It hasn't really.

Removal of hereditary peers from the House of Lords;

Removing the Lord Chancellor as Head of the Judiciary;

Removing the Lord Chancellor as Speaker of the House of Lords (the Lords will elect their own ‘Lord Speaker’ in July.)

Creating the Supreme Court (which will come into existence in 2009) to take over the role of the Highest Court in the UK from the House of Lords;

Devolution to Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland and London

Brought into existence the Freedom of Information Act

Creating the Judicial Appointments commission to take over the appointment process for the Judiciary (Judges, etc) from the Lord Chancellor.

Latest

Trending

Trending