The Student Room Group

Confused about what course [help]

Hey guys, I'm in year 12 and the A-level subjects I picked are as follows:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

I really like Maths, out of all lessons subjects Maths/Further are the ones I enjoy the most, however, I'm completely confused about what course I should pursue, it has to be maths related.

Here are my options and my personal drawbacks of them:

Maths - I love it but to get into a top university its competitive as ****, you also have to do STEP for the top universities and more uni's are implementing STEP as one of their requirements. Not only is it extremely hard to get into, I've heard that it is also a very demanding course at university level and you spend most of your uni days slaving away.

Engineering - This was initially what I set out to pursue, however I feel that the engineering jobs aren't that interesting and not as high paid as jobs in finance/banking (you know where this is going) etc.

Economics - I think this would be a great course to do at university to go into banking, however I hate writing essays and I really don't like Economics at A-level, its very boring and more to do with common sense.

Help me please
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
Original post by `God
Hey guys, I'm in year 12 and the A-level subjects I picked are as follows:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

I really like Maths, out of all lessons subjects Maths/Further are the ones I enjoy the most, however, I'm completely confused about what course I should pursue, it has to be maths related.

Here are my options and my personal drawbacks of them:

Maths - I love it but to get into a top university its competitive as ****, you also have to do STEP for the top universities and more uni's are implementing STEP as one of their requirements. Not only is it extremely hard to get into, I've heard that it is also a very demanding course at university level and you spend most of your uni days slaving away.

Engineering - This was initially what I set out to pursue, however I feel that the engineering jobs aren't that interesting and not as high paid as jobs in finance/banking (you know where this is going) etc.

Economics - I think this would be a great course to do at university to go into banking, however I hate writing essays and I really don't like Economics at A-level, its very boring and more to do with common sense.

Help me please

If you are really passionate as you say you are "it has to be maths related" then competing for your high up place should't be too big an issue, I know there's the issue that you risk not making it but if your so passionate about it then you will pursue it and make it.

but the worry for me is that you say you'd like to do something maths related but it seems to be the money thats choosing the course for you, do something that you're going to enjoy, it will help you dramatically and there are endless advantages but on another note engineering is very well paid, take chemical engineering for example starting pay of £30,000 which goes up dramatically in the first few years

and with regards to economics I don't know if it changes at uni but if your not enjoying it now I doubt your going to enjoy it in the future...

If I were you I'd take a step back forget about the money for a minute, imagine everyone was paid equally, what are your attributes? what do you enjoy? for example is there something that you enjoy maybe researching or reading about?
I'll give you an example I'm into bodybuilding and enjoy reading about training, motivation, nutrition blah blah blah and I do effortlesy not like my chemistry homework you know so if you could get a job that you enjoy and do it effortlesy imagine how great that would be

There also joint degrees, maybe one that gives you something intersting and the security of a good well-paid career within maths i.e. I saw one in loughborough which looked good to me maths with sport science...

' If you enjoy your job, you will never work'...

Hope that helped, if you need anymore help let me know :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending