The Student Room Group

PhD Pol Science LSE

Hi all,

I have a few questions if anyone can help me, pls:

1.Does anyone know how competitive it is to get in?

2. I have already submitted a proposal, but it happens to be too general. Does it matter?

Thanks to anyone who can answer any of my questions!
(edited 11 years ago)
1. The MRes/PhD as of 2011 had 26/128 acceptance rate. That's about 20%. Which is twice as high as most tier-1 US Political Science PhD programs

2. This is sort of connected with your initial-supervisor contact. Did you send him a copy of your proposal? If he said the proposal is fine, then it should be ok. The supervisor I contacted for with LSE gave me a lot of comments on how to better fine-tune and tailor my proposal, plus agreeing to supervise me.

3. It depends on what sort of weight he carries within the department. Is he a senior academic i.e. reader/professor? But even as a senior lecturer, he may make a good compelling case for you if there is any issue that the Department in general has. At least in the IR department the PhD acceptance hinged on if you are able to convince both a Primary and Secondary. The panel's acceptance/refusal is normally rubber-stamping for the primary and secondary's approval. Unless there is something obviously glaring like you don't meet the entry requirements.

4. I have heard this from academics at LSE back in 2009 that the LSE is planning to do this. So yes, potentially the plans I imagine have been finalized by now. Of course this means that there will be a lot fewer acceptances.

5. Yes. Departments at LSE are very autonomous things, so it can be done.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by WaltzvWendt
1. The MRes/PhD as of 2011 had 26/128 acceptance rate. That's about 20%. Which is twice as high as most tier-1 US Political Science PhD programs

2. This is sort of connected with your initial-supervisor contact. Did you send him a copy of your proposal? If he said the proposal is fine, then it should be ok. The supervisor I contacted for with LSE gave me a lot of comments on how to better fine-tune and tailor my proposal, plus agreeing to supervise me.

3. It depends on what sort of weight he carries within the department. Is he a senior academic i.e. reader/professor? But even as a senior lecturer, he may make a good compelling case for you if there is any issue that the Department in general has. At least in the IR department the PhD acceptance hinged on if you are able to convince both a Primary and Secondary. The panel's acceptance/refusal is normally rubber-stamping for the primary and secondary's approval. Unless there is something obviously glaring like you don't meet the entry requirements.

4. I have heard this from academics at LSE back in 2009 that the LSE is planning to do this. So yes, potentially the plans I imagine have been finalized by now. Of course this means that there will be a lot fewer acceptances.

5. Yes. Departments at LSE are very autonomous things, so it can be done.

Thanks a lot for your reply! My potencial supervisor did say he "initially agreed to supervise me", although he said my topic was not their priority because it was more related to IR. Also, I asked him to send my proposal, he agreed, but never got back to me. So I don't think he was very excited about it, which he made clear in our meeting. Do you know who analysis my proposal? Is it only him or someone else in the department?
Thanks again!
Normally it is only them and whoever they had in mind for a secondary supervisor. The department head or committee would look more at the overall profile than the proposal in depth. Unless you choose not to specify a supervisor in your application. then your proposal gets spread around for anyone that may be relevant. But that does not gauruntee you will get in as the committee may not be able to find anyone suitable, and your appplication can take months waiting for replies.

Well, at least he told you yours was more IR-like. Maybe go email someone in the IR department with it?
From their FAQ... google is a wonderful thing:

5. How many research students does the International Relations Department accept each year?
Under the School's new funded PhD scheme, the Department is likely to admit between 10-12 new research students for the 2013-14 academic session. New research students will join an existing cohort of about 75 students.

Reply 5
Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from them? It's been more than 8 weeks....Thanks!
Reply 6
Well it's the Christmas/New Year break at the moment. The LSE term restarts on 14th January, so if my current organisation is an indicator, academics and admin processes will be gearing back up from around the 7th. Don't expect anything before the second week in January at the earliest and you shouldn't be disappointed.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
Well it's the Christmas/New Year break at the moment. The LSE term restarts on 14th January, so if my current organisation is an indicator, academics and admin processes will be gearing back up from around the 7th. Don't expect anything before the second week in January at the earliest and you shouldn't be disappointed.

Thanks! Do you think that because I havent heard from them yet (after more than 8 weeks) it means that I have been shortlisted? Or it doesn't mean anything? Thanks!
Reply 8
I'm afraid you'd need insider knowledge of the LSE admin systems to know that. Your guess is as good as mine - sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending