The Student Room Group

Should exams be before or after Christmas?

This poll is closed

Should exams be before or after Christmas?

Before, it makes no sense spoiling Christmas for the sake of something that can be moved back. 40%
After, students should learn to deal with unwanted situations. No matter how stressful or difficult.60%
Total votes: 48
Just saw one university polling their students on this. What do you think?
Reply 1
After. You get more time then :wink:
I need time to revise! After Christmas; I want to do as well as I can!
After - because you actually have time to revise, and anyway most unis teach / have deadlines up to the Christmas break, so the time before xmas is needed for teaching and coursework.
After!
You can't do lectures, exercises, seminars, tutorials et c. and revise for exams during term time ... there just isn't time!
I'd rather they just added a week onto the first term and we did the exams then, I get the feeling I'm going to leave my revision to the last minute at home and I'm going to have forgotten everything.
Reply 6
Before

Giving me time to mark them
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
Just saw one university polling their students on this. What do you think?

I'd go with a 3rd option- get rid of them altogether like UEA did for most courses (they got rid of january exams and now only a few courses have tests before christmas).
Reply 8
Yea you're talking about aberdeen right?
Basically all the students voted for jan exams, but they chose to ignore it and from 2014 exams will be right before christmas.

But WHEN do we actually revise then??

Posted from TSR mobile because a bear ate my laptop
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
I'd go with a 3rd option- get rid of them altogether like UEA did for most courses (they got rid of january exams and now only a few courses have tests before christmas).

Are you serious? They got rid of the January exams? Then do they have all the exams crammed up in May? :eek:
I would like it to be before, but only if they shifted the rest of the year to accommodate. That way we'd start back at the beginning of September, and finish for summer around May. Still get three months of summer, but don't have to stress about trying to revise during the festivities. :smile:

To be honest, I'd change the timings of a lot of things if I could. Why we have to apply for graduate jobs now, before even graduating when we have other things to worry about, I just don't understand
Original post by Juichiro
Are you serious? They got rid of the January exams? Then do they have all the exams crammed up in May? :eek:

Depends on the course/module- History and some Science have all the major exams crammed in May, plus there is one Politics Semester 1 module which has an exam in May. Then a few subjects have more minor course tests at Christmas, or in the case of languages oral exams. Most Arts subjects though are 100% coursework for semester one (including all of my modules).
Meh, Stirling has pre-Christmas exams. It's fine for most people, and it means I don't spend the Christmas holiday stressed about modules.
Reply 13
Before, then I can enjoy Christmas and do all these assignments I'm meant to be doing o.0 over Christmas not stressing over exams

Sent from my HTC
Reply 14
After - I need as much time as possible to study!
After so you have the holidays to revise..?
I'd hate to have all my exams now. I always find it a bit awkward revising whilst we're still learning new material.
I don't get how it'd spoil Christmas- I'm not gonna be revising on Christmas day :p: Then again I'm not one to stress much at all about exams.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
After, you get more time to revise :smile:
I'd say before, I like to actually have time off to relax when it's a holiday! You get more time to revise if they are after, though. At college I was stressing out massively over the Christmas period but now that my assignments are all due in before Christmas at uni I feel so much better. Each to their own.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Honestly have no idea how I would cope with the coursework and all the revision if it was before Christmas. We only finish our lectures a week before! And it's not like we could drastically alter the timetables, unless:

1) There is reduced teaching; or
2) We completely alter secondary educations timetables, so that grades are released in July, rather than August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending