Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel 6BIO1 ~ 9th January 2013 ~ AS Biology

Announcements Posted on
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubyturner94)
    hey guys,
    can someone explain the effect of cf on the gas exchange (respiretory system)? [4]

Posted from TSR Mobile
    - Mucus in sufferers of CF is thick and sticky
    - Thickened mucus can't be moved by cilia/coughing
    - Mucus blocks airways
    - Gas exchange reduced
    - because surface area is reduced
    - so diffusion decreases
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    when they ask to ''describe the structure of enzymes'' do we descibe the 3-dimensional structure? eg chemical bond between R groupa etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    when they ask to ''describe the structure of enzymes'' do we descibe the 3-dimensional structure? eg chemical bond between R groupa etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes and no. The mark scheme says this.

globular / eq ; (NOT 3D.)
    2. reference to active site ;
    3. reference to specific shape of active site ;
    4. reference to {bonds /named bond / interaction / eq} between R groups ;
    5. credit correctly named {bond/interaction} e.g. disulphide bond, hydrogen bonds, hydrophobic interactions (between R groups) ;
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just did the June 2010 paper, and I'm a bit disappointed with my mark (62/80). Even though it was an A, I made stupid mistakes getting 0 marks in 3 parts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Just did the June 2010 paper, and I'm a bit disappointed with my mark (62/80). Even though it was an A, I made stupid mistakes getting 0 marks in 3 parts.
    That was my worst paper I think I got 60 in it. I just found some of the questions odd!
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingboss)
    That was my worst paper I think I got 60 in it. I just found some of the questions odd!
    It really was a bad paper, and a lot of the questions were, nonsense to say the least. And the way they worded it aswell was bad.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry to bother you again :/ (really do hate enzymes)
    can someone explain this question to me.
    explain how the 3D structure of proteins enable enzymes to perform their functions as biological catalysts?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry to bother you again :/ (really do hate enzymes)
    can someone explain this question to me.
    explain how the 3D structure of proteins enable enzymes to perform their functions as biological catalysts?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Enzymes are globular proteins.

They have an active site

The active site is specific for a certain type of substrate.
    The substrate binds in the active site

The shape of the enzyme changes slightly (induced fit)

An enzyme-substrate complex is created.

A reaction occurs..

The porduct(s) leaves the active site

*Less energy is needed for the reaction- activation energy decreases
    *Enzymes speed up the rate of reaction
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks hows revision going guys? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me on question 2ci in june 2011. I thought that Elina is recessive has the disease so wouldn't her alleles be gg as she has galactosaemia. This appears to be wrong can some explain this
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks hows revision going guys? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Going good
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me on question 2ci in june 2011. I thought that Elina is recessive has the disease so wouldn't her alleles be gg as she has galactosaemia. This appears to be wrong can some explain this
    Not wrong.

Galactosaemia is recessive. So if Sahan is a carrier:

Then Sahans genotype is : Gg
    and Elinas: gg

Do a genetic diagram from that and work out percentage that the child is heterozygous. pretty staight forward if you ask me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    Not wrong.

Galactosaemia is recessive. So if Sahan is a carrier:

Then Sahans genotype is : Gg
    and Elinas: gg

Do a genetic diagram from that and work out percentage that the child is heterozygous. pretty staight forward if you ask me.
    It was straight forward and that's what I did, but the examiners' report showed Elina as GG and the candidate still got three marks.. and that made me wonder
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was straight forward and that's what I did, but the examiners' report showed Elina as GG and the candidate still got three marks.. and that made me wonder
    LOL! the examiner did not mark properly.:rolleyes:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at the exam report. that q was a 4 marker, the candidate got 3 marks for everything else but just the GG wrong. some how its a coincidence as you get the same answer even if you do that mistake.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolRunner)
    Just looked at the exam report. that q was a 4 marker, the candidate got 3 marks for everything else but just the GG wrong. some how its a coincidence as you get the same answer even if you do that mistake.
    Lol yeah it is that candidate was lucky though that might have not been the case in another question. I also wonder how the student thought it was GG when she was clearly in bold
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah it is that candidate was lucky though that might have not been the case in another question. I also wonder how the student thought it was GG when she was clearly in bold
    Same here :s
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I just did the June 2009 paper which was shockingly hard, although I got 58. The grade boundaries for it were so low as well, you needed 49/80 for an A. I hope our paper has grade bondries like this, but I hope the content is easier.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    So I just did the June 2009 paper which was shockingly hard, although I got 58. The grade boundaries for it were so low as well, you needed 49/80 for an A. I hope our paper has grade bondries like this, but I hope the content is easier.
    lol that wouldn't happen easy content means high grade boundary. But we can all hope
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol that wouldn't happen easy content means high grade boundary. But we can all hope
    Yeahh, only hope
    But don't you think 49 is mad for an A. I was shocked doing that exam because I was so pushed for time.
Updated: May 21, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.