The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Most important criteria in LSE undergrad admissions?

I just got rejected from Oxbridge and feel devastated. I was told that my grades can guarantee me an interview but they did not. I am very disappointed and have this sick feeling at the back of my throat that all my effort since GCSEs has been wasted. But oh well, I can't really change it now. I understand that there are other factors being considered. So hopefully I can try again in postgrads.
On the bright side, there is still a possibility of getting an offer from a (comparable?) university such as LSE. I know that whatever discussed here will not make any difference to my submitted application. I guess talking about it can ease of the anticipation. Xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Your hard work does not amount to nothing simply because you didn't get in to Oxbridge.

The impression that LSE staff gave me when I applied last year was that they place a great deal of emphasis on your personal statement.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
From my experience they place a great deal of emphasis on you being from outside the EU and therefore paying higher fees...
Agree with above, also they have a preference for cool economists :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by cooleconomist
I just got rejected from Oxbridge and feel devastated. I was told that my grades can guarantee me an interview but they did not. I am very disappointed and have this sick feeling at the back of my throat that all my effort since GCSEs has been wasted. But oh well, I can't really change it now. I understand that there are other factors being considered. So hopefully I can try again in postgrads.
On the bright side, there is still a possibility of getting an offer from a (comparable?) university such as LSE. I know that whatever discussed here will not make any difference to my submitted application. I guess talking about it can ease of the anticipation. Xxxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

PS

assuming you have grades of decent quality and similar standard to most other applicants.
Reply 5
Original post by danny111
PS

assuming you have grades of decent quality and similar standard to most other applicants.

Thanks. I'm screwed
Reply 6
Thanks. I'm screwed

1. Well what are your grades.

2. Did you really expect to get in without quality grades?
Reply 7
Original post by danny111
1. Well what are your grades.2. Did you really expect to get in without quality grades?
Here's the answer to your question: i have 11A* at GCSE, 5 As at AS, an odd D at General Studies and 4 A* prediction. My A level subjects are (F.Maths, Maths, Economics, Physics and Art (As). And Yes, I do expect it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
i have 11A* at GCSE, 5 As at AS, an odd D at General Studies and 4 A* prediction. My A level subjects are (F.Maths, Maths, Economics, Physics and Art (As). haha, yes I do expect it, just I did not think that my personal statement was good enough.

Oh okay, I assumed you meant your grades weren't that great because it's kind of hard to judge one's own PS.

good luck anyway, you probably won't hear back til March so forget about it for now.
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey. If it helps, we are in the same boat! I just got rejected from PPE at Mansfield college, oxford, despite having 5 A band ones at Higher, and a 3 A prediction for Adv Highers. (I go by the Scottish system!) I think I really mucked up on the TSA entrance test :frown:

What did you apply for at Oxbridge? I am going for LSE too - Gov + Econ. Here's hoping :frown:

xxx
Reply 10
Original post by selina pope
Hey. If it helps, we are in the same boat! I just got rejected from PPE at Mansfield college, oxford, despite having 5 A band ones at Higher, and a 3 A prediction for Adv Highers. (I go by the Scottish system!) I think I really mucked up on the TSA entrance test :frown:

What did you apply for at Oxbridge? I am going for LSE too - Gov + Econ. Here's hoping :frown:

xxx

Heya, I applied for E&M at St Anne's. It is not the most competitive college, but tough luck on the TSA. Your grades are brilliant and it was a shame they missed you out. It is only your PS this time that does the work. Haha, I wish you the best of luck lovely. What are your other choices?
Reply 11
They place a great deal of importance on your personal statement.

If applying for straight Economics, they expect close to 95% or so average in maths and econ.

They like people who do further maths too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear of your rejection; perhaps it might of been due to the TSA? Oh well its their loss at the end of the day. No your efforts haven't been wasted as you've got an offer from Warwick, a great uni for Economics so don't worry too much about it. As for lse it might slightly depend on your ums they asked for in that questionnaire thingy. What were they?
Original post by sacheeen

If applying for straight Economics, they expect close to 95% or so average in maths and econ.

Where did you get your figures from?
Reply 14
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Where did you get your figures from?

A friend of mine who's doing straight Econ at LSE. He said roughly that's what's expected and that is what most of his friends who are doing Economics achieved.
Reply 15
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I'm sorry to hear of your rejection; perhaps it might of been due to the TSA? Oh well its their loss at the end of the day. No your efforts haven't been wasted as you've got an offer from Warwick, a great uni for Economics so don't worry too much about it. As for lse it might slightly depend on your ums they asked for in that questionnaire thingy. What were they?

Hi there stranger, I was never asked for a questionnaire to enter my UMS. I am applying for Management at LSE though. But a friend of mine who applies for the same thing got asked for her UMS. Do you apply for straight Economics?
Hi there stranger, I was never asked for a questionnaire to enter my UMS. I am applying for Management at LSE though. But a friend of mine who applies for the same thing got asked for her UMS. Do you apply for straight Economics?

Oh I assumed you applied for Economics cos of your username :tongue:. In that case how did you manage to write your PS since your applying for different subjects at different unis?
Will do next year. Btw just wondering what made you choose management over straight econ?
Original post by sacheeen

Hey i'm studying in india in class 12 right now,giving my boards , could you tell me what percentage of marks they require for undergrad study ?i have PCM ,economics and english
also i have probably missed the dates to apply this year,but for applying next year i.e ,for 2014-2015, what will i require to get in if i do a year of economics in delhi university? And what grade will
be considered if i apply after 1rst year?
(edited 11 years ago)
Personal Statement , and that little bit of luck. Nearly everyone who applied had at worst AAA or like A*AA predicted and on average excellent GCSE's I think.
Reply 19
Just to let anyone who is interested know, I received an offer for econ with relatively mediocre grades for lse (gcse 5a*s,6as, AAAB as, A*A*AA predicted) and I believe that a lot of this to be down to my PS which I made unique and also personal. I realised there would be many applicants with better grades than me, and so really tried to make my personality shine. Heck, the end of my PS even ended In an economics related joke :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending