The Student Room Group

Should trains have female only carriages?

Poll

Should trains have female only carriages?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's necessary, but if there's a demand for them (which I doubt), then I see nothing wrong with them in principle.
Reply 2
I don't see the need for them, I mean really? What is society coming to...
Reply 3
But then I won't have anyone to perv on :frown:
That would be treating the symptoms, rather than the cause of lechery.

Oh, and sexual segregation is real progressive :rolleyes:
Original post by Gouki
But then I won't have anyone to perv on :frown:

:biggrin: Was just gonna say the same. Seriously, it's a stupid idea.
I went to Japan a few years a go and they have them there, I know the hard way as I accidently got on one. I don't think they are a good idea, surely thats not solving the real issue.
yeah, the same carriages that have cookers, dishwashers etc fitted into them
Reply 8
No, if a man so-desired he could grind upon women in any small space, it would be just as logical to have women-only lifts or women-only queues.
Reply 9
Yes! Especially if they've got kids. Mums cannot control their kids and then they make so much noise. When I was a kid my mum just needed to look at me and I'd shut up! We need that.

EDIT: I meant to say we need one for mothers and kids as well as another one just for women.
Reply 10
A woman fell on top of me when the tube started moving once, never felt so insulted in my life; must have my own mode of transport immediately!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Only if we get male only ones.
Reply 12
And end up like Japan?, with men accused of rape all the time
Reply 13
But if this happens, surely this will be the start of segregation in Britain.

Like what Harley posted ^^^. We would start getting women's-only things. Then in the future, it would probably be illegal to talk to women or something bizarre like that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
There are far better ways to segregate people on the train such as "Sane people only" or "Sober only".
Yes, but I only say this through experience when I was on a train once and I was sat not fully on my seat, and the guy sat next to me at the table started sliding his hand under my butt and I was so shocked because I was quite young at the time and on a busy carriage with men sat opposite I didn't feel like I could stand up or anything because theyre wasn't space to do so, or say anything. I'll never remember that!
Reply 16
No, it achieves nothing.

Original post by insignificant
Yes, but I only say this through experience when I was on a train once and I was sat not fully on my seat, and the guy sat next to me at the table started sliding his hand under my butt and I was so shocked because I was quite young at the time and on a busy carriage with men sat opposite I didn't feel like I could stand up or anything because theyre wasn't space to do so, or say anything. I'll never remember that!

Sorry to hear that. However, I think addressing why people don't feel able to do something about things like this as they happen would be more constructive than segregating trains by sex.
Original post by mmmpie
No, it achieves nothing.

Sorry to hear that. However, I think addressing why people don't feel able to do something about things like this as they happen would be more constructive than segregating trains by sex.

I do agree with you, I just think more immediate action needs to be taken whilst the cultural change happens.
Reply 18
Segregation is not the issue. It will only create calls of sexism and piss people off. Instead of preventing the perves from acting on their impulses by separating them from the stimulation, we should be teaching the perves not to act on their impulses in the first place. Seriously.
No, this isn't a good idea, and it won't really do much to deter some men (who are like that), to be honest.

(Though I also think it's a bad idea because then I won't be able to stare at the hot men..and stuff)

Original post by ihatebrownbread
yeah, the same carriages that have cookers, dishwashers etc fitted into them

You just had to go there, didn't you?

Original post by katyness
Yes! Especially if they've got kids. Mums cannot control their kids and then they make so much noise. When I was a kid my mum just needed to look at me and I'd shut up! We need that.

EDIT: I meant to say we need one for mothers and kids as well as another one just for women.

The one for mothers and kids is a good idea, but then again most trains have a silent carriage where kids don't normally go to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest