The Student Room Group

Money saving tips

Scroll to see replies

create a jar for only 20P coins. you'll be amazed how quickly it fills up.
Original post by ConnorB

This! I have a pot for silvers and a pot for coppers. They're both full and need cashing in! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ConnorB

I have one of these and I put everything below 50p in it. Did it a few years ago and ended up with around ยฃ90.

We do have a how much money can you save? challenge which is where you have a jar for all your change and see how much you can save.
Reply 43
Go shopping in your supermarket at about 3pm and get some absolute bargains at reduced prices.
Reply 44
Original post by The_Jakal
Only take cash on a night out!

This not only stops you from buying everyone a round when you have had a little too many but it also means that you can stick to a budget.

If you only want to spend ยฃ20 then only take ยฃ20!

I've always worried about doing this. What if you need to get a taxi? If so, what about when you accidentally spend your taxi cash? Without a card you are stuffed and could end up walking home which could be dangerous etc. You could give it to a non-drinking friend, but what if you get separated?

Maybe you could have some cash just by the front door and pay the driver on arrival lol
Reply 45
Original post by Hanvyj
I've always worried about doing this. What if you need to get a taxi? If so, what about when you accidentally spend your taxi cash? Without a card you are stuffed and could end up walking home which could be dangerous etc. You could give it to a non-drinking friend, but what if you get separated?

Maybe you could have some cash just by the front door and pay the driver on arrival lol

I always keep a ยฃ20 note in my shoe for this very reason.
Reply 46
Original post by OU Student
- make a budget and stick to it. Include money for emergencies
- draw out money each week and that's all you can spend
- if you shop in places like Sainsburys, Tesco, Boots, etc. get their loyalty cards. This will save you loads of money

Budgeting is super important.
Here's my two cents on reducing your spending:

1. Track and record everything you spend. Most people don't do this, so they are left wondering where their money's gone. Also, by tracking your spend, you can figure out which area of spend needs reducing and maybe distinguish impulse buy from essentials.

2. People spend a lot of money eating out, if at all possible make your lunches each day (make sandwiches or leftovers from the night before) rather than buying from restaurants.

3. Try to buy bulk when possible, but only on non-perishable goods. Its much cheaper then buying single items. If you can't use it all sell them single to friends, you'll breakeven at least.

Hope this helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Free condoms

Thereโ€™s no need to waste another penny on condoms for your โ€œfunโ€ filled nights. You can get condoms completely free from your local GP or GUM clinic. These facilities offer family planning advice and other forms of contraceptive. Find your local clinic and donโ€™t forget to get checked while youโ€™re there.
Free TV- Legally

In the UK the BBC require you to pay a ยฃ145 TV license if you intend on watching TV as it is being broadcasted. Luckily there are two techniques you can use to watch TV for nothing.

You donโ€™t have to pay a single penny if you only watch programs AFTER they have been broadcast, on services such as ITV player and 4oD. You can buy a cable to easily connect your Laptop to the TV and stream as many programs as you want.

If your parents hold a valid TV license, you are legally allowed to watch live TV on a mobile device -as long as it isnโ€™t connected to the main power supply.
Railcards and booking early

Purchasing a student railcard is a great investment. For only ยฃ30 (as of may 19th) you receive 1/3 off all rail travels within the UK, for an entire year. If you arenโ€™t an avid train goโ€™er, Iโ€™d still recommend a purchase, as you will easily save enough to cover the cost, from one or two trips. To top it off, owning a student railcard gives you access to some great offers and deals.

To save even more money when it comes to transports make sure you book all possible journeys well in advance. Ridiculously cheap fares can be found 9-10 weeks before on The Train Line.

If you regularly travel on buses consider looking into local travel cards. The daily commute to university can be made cheaper by signing up.
Bulk buy food and cook it up

If you regularly consume non-perishable foods consider buying them in bulk. Save a few pounds each month and bulk buy staple foods such as pasta and rice.

Living in a flat with housemates is a great opportunity to save an extra bob or two. Cut the cost of food by sharing items, if you all contribute equally, you usually end up with better value for money. When you go shopping, create a shopping list and only buy the things you need.

Being in control of your diet at university is an exciting responsibility. Cooking from scratch, not only keeps you entertained, keeps your wallet out of harms way. Forget buying expensive ready meals and do it yourself.
Finding bargains

One of the luxuries of 21st century life is having everything you need on your doorstep and if its not, you can find it online. But sadly this isnโ€™t always the cheapest option.

Save yourself a lot of money by searching around for the items you need. Charity shops, Car boots and online auctions have some greats gems to be found at rock bottom prices.
Contents insurance

As we recommended in โ€œkeeping your things safe at universityโ€œ, having your belongings insured is necessary. However you can potentially save ยฃ100โ€ฒs by checking your parents โ€œcontents away from homeโ€ section on their policy.

If you are one of the lucky ones to be covered make sure you check that the policy covers the full value of all your items.
Pre Drink

Partying hard every night can leave a huge hole in your bank balance but learning to drink on a budget will save you lots of money. Playing drinking games before you hit the town is a surefire way to save the cash, although it may leave you in some unflattering states.

Compare the price of a single mixer in your local club to a bottle of the spirit sold at the supermarkets.
Freecycle

Joining local freecycle communities can see you owning laptops, mobiles and much more, completely free of charge. The entire concept revolves around giving unwanted items to people who need them, instead of seeing them in a landfill.

Itโ€™s a funky concept that will see you saving money and doing your bit for the environment.
Book buying

During your time at university you will amass a collection of books to fill a library. Academic books are notorious for being outrageously overpriced. To combat this- whilst saving you lots of money- we suggest that you search Amazon books, Ebay and ask previous students, before you buy the latest version of โ€œSchrodingerโ€™s catโ€ book.
Always ask for student discount

Iโ€™ve left this point last because If you want anything away from this article, I want it to be this. Always ask for student discount.

Most high street retailers provide student discount online and in store but they mostly require you to provide your university ID or a valid NUS card (ยฃ11). Retailers who donโ€™t officially promote student discounts are likely to consider you, if you ask politely when purchasing something.
Reply 49
Original post by diggy
Shop around don't just go to one supermarket even upper market supermarkets have competitive prices

If you want free food big supermarkets throw out ALL out of date food early in the morning so,you can help yourself to what you find lol

There's also the five finger discount if your in that way inclined

Posted from TSR Mobile

some have reduced food just before they close, like late afternoon on sundays
Reply 50
Saw this on UK Hot Deals and gave it a go. Basically they sell you any product you can find on the web, cheaper. Well worth giving a go. Only had a problem when trying to put supermarket products into it that are cheap anyway!

http://www.flubit.com/
Reply 51
Original post by Suzanne123
When you go out to dinner, drink tap water. It's sound silly but when it all adds up, depending on how often you eat out, you could save around ยฃ10+ a month.

Yes. THIS THIS THIS. I always get tap water and all of my friends/family always make jokes about me being a tight ass etc. But it really makes a difference to the overall bill, and if its table service I can leave a tip as well without feeling like I'm breaking the bank. To the people saying "Don't eat out" I think you have to remember to live your life and not be worrying about money all the time. I would hardly see my friends at all if I said I didn't want to spend money haha

Also, ALWAYS invest some of your time in looking for cheaper textbooks rather than buying them new. Text books are ridiculously expensive :<

Don't buy coffee out unless its a rare treat (e.g. If you've already done it this month you don't need to do it again, just bring a flask if you're caffeine deprived). I work as a waitress and the amount of conversations I overhear about people worrying about money while sat drinking large caramel lattes with cake is ridiculous
Original post by Jessykins

Also, ALWAYS invest some of your time in looking for cheaper textbooks rather than buying them new. Text books are ridiculously expensive :<

Some unis have second hand bookshops, where students from previous years sell their textbooks. Worth a look if your uni has them.
Reply 53
Some great tips here, I definitely need to utilise them because I'm terrible with money.

I signed up to mysurvey.com a year or so ago and have earned around ยฃ50 since as you can exhange reward points from doing surveys for deposits into a paypal account. They can be a bit boring sometimes but worth it for an easy tenner now and then. I've also been sent products to test before like Elle magazine and a volvic drink that wasn't even on the shelves yet so it can be quite good at times!
I recommend joining student discount websites such as My Unidays and StudentBeans. They have loads of offers and freebies.

Also when I get my loan instalments I usually move around half of it to my savings account so when I take money out the bank it seems like I dont have much and I'll be a bit more careful when spending. Obviously if I need more then I dip into the saved amount. By doing this I've finished my 1st year and saved just under ยฃ2000 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bubble_10
I recommend joining student discount websites such as My Unidays and StudentBeans. They have loads of offers and freebies.

Also when I get my loan instalments I usually move around half of it to my savings account so when I take money out the bank it seems like I dont have much and I'll be a bit more careful when spending. Obviously if I need more then I dip into the saved amount. By doing this I've finished my 1st year and saved just under ยฃ2000 :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do this as my accommodation is more than my loan :frown: although, I am trying to come up with ways of not going into my over draft from the beginning.... I have some money saved, so am thinking of using that to top up the account my rent will come out from :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lascelles
Unfortunately, I won't be able to do this as my accommodation is more than my loan :frown: although, I am trying to come up with ways of not going into my over draft from the beginning.... I have some money saved, so am thinking of using that to top up the account my rent will come out from :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is my problem too.
I estimate I'll be up to ยฃ2,000 short!
:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AdrenalineLuke
This is my problem too.
I estimate I'll be up to ยฃ2,000 short!
:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to talk to my uni about it. Our rent for the the year is split 40-40-20, but I could afford it if it was in thirds, without going into my overdraft :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lascelles

Posted from TSR Mobile

Argg thats a pain! How much is your accommodation? Do you not pay it in 3 installments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bubble_10
Argg thats a pain! How much is your accommodation? Do you not pay it in 3 installments?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, but it's 40% in the first term, 40% in the second, and 20% in the third. My accommodation is ยฃ6330 for the whole year.
I do get enough money overall for it, but my first and second terms' loan is less than the first and second terms' loan, which is why I need to ask them if I can do it in 3 equal instalments, because I can afford that. If that makes sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest