The Student Room Group

Raf Medical

Hello all,

I recently failed my RAF Medical due to a ventolin enhaler I had prescribed to me in 2009 (It was prescribed but never used as i've been clear of asthma since 2005), Is it possible to appeal and get a doctors note to say it was wrongly prescribed as the doctor said everything else was fine and that was the only thing stopping me from joining. If not how long is the time you have to be clear from asthma medication? I heard it was 4 years but the doc said 5.

Thanks in advance,

Mech.

The enhaler was prescribed for hayfever but it was never used.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi Mech321,

The RAF Careers website quotes the following:

I've got asthma. Can I join the RAF?
Certain medical conditions rule out RAF service. Applications will be rejected if you suffer or have suffered from asthma in the last four years. However, if you have been diagnosed previously as suffering from asthma but have remained symptom-free for a continuous four-year period, you may be considered for RAF ground service but not aircrew.

and

If you suffer from asthma or have done in the past, you cannot be considered for flying branches of the
RAF. For ground branches and trades, people with a past history of asthma, wheezing or inhaler use may
be eligible for service following review by medical staff. If you have current asthma symptoms or a current
prescription or you use an inhaler for asthma or wheeze (regardless of cause), you are not eligible to apply
for service.

While you may not have "Asthma", Hay fever irritation has been known to induce Asthma-like symptoms in people e.g. tightening of airways and lungs, hence why you've been given an inhaler to loosen it all up.

I'm guessing you're not applying for an Aircrew Branch so if you can get cleared by the Doctor, i.e. saying you don't require an inhaler and haven't needed it for four years, you should be good to apply for a Ground Branch.

I hope that helps

:smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually applying for a ground trade so i thought there would be no trouble.

So if I can get a note from my gp saying that the enhaler was not needed would it still be classed as inside the 4 year period and I would be told exactly the same thing?
The fact that you didn't use it is completely irrelevant, the Dr deemed it necessary to prescribe it, therefore you needed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i thought i had the same problem, had asthma till i was like 8 or something but never had the prescriptions stopped (until 3 years ago)

they sent letters etc to my doc about it all, and i have to go back for a second medical.. nerves! but as far as i know im fine with the inhalers (even if its within the 4 year boundary) because all symptoms stopped years and years before that..

they wouldnt book another medical, just to tell me i cant join because of an inhaler right..?

i'm a noob.. first post on an old thread lol
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest