The Student Room Group

MSc for Actuarial Science with poor undergraduate grades

Hi I am a final year undergraduate student studying MORSE in the university of Warwick. I had done really really badly in my first 2 years (low 2:2 in the first year and a 3rd in the second year...) However I still want to study a MSc course related to Actuarial Science if possible. Is there any slight chance for me to achieve this? Will my a-level results (A*AA) together with a good result from the GMAT which I will be taking soon help at all? Or is it still unrealistic for my situation?
Reply 1
Your undergrad grade is all - school qualifications are of no interest for a Masters application in my experience. You need a 2:1 or a First to be in with a shout, plus good academic references. Sometimes your undergrad uni might consider you with a 2:2 if they think you could cope and just had an uncharacteristic blip or two. Doesn't sound hopeful in your case though.

On the other hand, if you don't ask, you don't get. Might be worth asking your current course leader and getting their reaction. In your place I think I'd be formulating a Plan B as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I have applied 5 Msc Actuarial Science course and luckily 3 of them gave me conditional offers (University College Dublin, Southampton and Heriot Watt) while Cass Business School and Manchester University rejected me.

Based on reputation and quality of study of Actuarial Science, which university do you guys recommend?

Also although Cass and Manchester have rejected me, could I possibly re-apply after I graduate this year? :confused:

Really need some help here, thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending