The Student Room Group

Hill starting on a Mercedes - how do you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have no idea why there are so many downvotes on seemingly sensible comments on this thread?

OP - this is something I have wondered myself having never driven a Mercedes. As someone said, do they automatically release when you try to move off? Most Mercs are automatics so I guess that may be why they have persisted with these hand brakes.

I personally almost never use the handbrake on a hill start - moving from the brake onto the biting point on the clutch can be done without rolling back at all with a bit of practice. Obviously if the weather is crap or someone is very close behind me I will use it, but besides that I can't really offer any constructive advice.

Perhaps some of the downvoters would like to say where they think people are going wrong? No use clicking a button and then not giving any reasoning when someone is asking for advice.
Reply 21
Hold it on the footbrake, find biting point, then apply the throttle and lift the clutch up slowly. You don't even need a handbrake to do it - you should be able to hold it all day on the bite.
'Hill starting in a Mercedes': social climbing.
Reply 23
Original post by de_monies
Try driving a Yaris. According to others who have tried my car, the biting point is almost non existent. I find it with ease though :biggrin:

What plate yaris have you got? Are you talking about the older version (not this current one, the one before?) Because my friend's got that car, and you're right, there's absolutely no bite! And you only need to push down a few centimetres and the clutch pedal's fully down haha :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't be of help to the OP, am I right in thinking OP's got a manual car, with a foot operated parking brake?? I thought they only came with automatics :confused:
Original post by Nice.Guy
What plate yaris have you got? Are you talking about the older version (not this current one, the one before?) Because my friend's got that car, and you're right, there's absolutely no bite! And you only need to push down a few centimetres and the clutch pedal's fully down haha :rolleyes:

It's an 02 plate. Does your friend notice? Or are they like me, and don't really notice at all?
Reply 25
Original post by de_monies
It's an 02 plate. Does your friend notice? Or are they like me, and don't really notice at all?

She's got the same model, and yeah - it's completely normal for her - it's her first car :wink: But for everyone else, me included (and I've driven quite a few cars, with different types of clutches), it's the weirdest thing ever, it feels so unnatural!
Don't you notice how little the clutch pedal actually moves? :confused:
Original post by Nice.Guy
She's got the same model, and yeah - it's completely normal for her - it's her first car :wink: But for everyone else, me included (and I've driven quite a few cars, with different types of clutches), it's the weirdest thing ever, it feels so unnatural!
Don't you notice how little the clutch pedal actually moves? :confused:

No, not at all :biggrin: Thing is, I had a punto for about 2 weeks. Got rid, because well my family were being typically Asian and had a massive go at me for not getting a Japanese car, so I got the Yaris. Worked out to be cheaper overall any way :wink:

When I test drove it, I didn't notice it, and I still don't. Same with the punto. With my first driving instructor, he asked me if I played a musical instrument because I got clutch control pretty much perfect, every time, so I guess I'll probably never understand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest