The Student Room Group

2nd year students, how do you feel so far?

This is aimed to 2nd year students. :smile:
Has uni life changed compared to last year? Coursework-wise, exam-wise, friendship-wise, social-wise?
Basically, talk about good and bad stuff of your second year. :smile:
Reply 1
Drowning in a sea of reading, EC's, and the fact that I've got 3 exams and 1 coursework for January, rather than 2 of each (hate exams; love coursework)

Besides that, it's been the same as first year for me.
Heavier workload, and more late nights spent in the library
Nicer housemates
Bigger, nicer accommodation
More maintenance issues with my accommodation
Just as many extra-curriculars - but I don't always quite manage to make it to every social any more
A part time job which is quite enjoyable (something of a change for me! At least it's not hospitality)
Reply 3
Swamped! So much more work and the fact that the marks could actually count towards the degree is adding more pressure!
Reply 4
Im finding it very similar to first year as I treated first year as though it counted towards my degree!
Though it does make your stress levels high when you think you've done bad in something :frown:
Original post by yougoonie93
Swamped! So much more work and the fact that the marks could actually count towards the degree is adding more pressure!

Glad I'm not the only one!!

I just don't feel like I've taken anything in from the lectures.
Reply 6
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Glad I'm not the only one!!

I just don't feel like I've taken anything in from the lectures.

Me either, been put off going to them tbh.
I've been a lot busier this year as I started a part-time job and am actually doing the lecture and seminar reading unlike in first year :tongue: I tried, but failed to make time for all the ECs I did last year, so i've had to cut down massively due to just not having enough hours in a week. I feel like i've put a lot more effort into my essays this year too, and will certainly put 100% in to exams because i'm determined to do well this year and take some of the pressure off of third year.

My attendance has been awful for seminars/tutorials as I just find them so useless and they cause me a fair bit of anxiety. I'm a bit worried about being called in about it, but as far as I know they can't change my grades for it or anything.

In terms of social life, I go out a lot less because I don't have the time or the inclination to do it as much anymore. I've been out a handful of times this term, but i'm not bothered by it, I enjoy it more when I do go out now, rather than going out just for the sake of it like I did last year.

In general i'm enjoying it, particularly like living out of halls in a proper house and I feel much more like i'm actually studying for a degree this year, which is a nice feeling, if incredibly stressful. Have a lot more anxiety about life after uni this year!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest