The Student Room Group

Is a BA Hons. Degree harder than a normal degree?

Me and my brother are both doing our first degree.
Mine is a BA in Media & Tv. His is a degree in engineering.

Me and my dad keep having massive arguments cuz my dad keeps thinking my degree isn't as hard as my bro's and I go uni to have a laugh. This doesn't half p*ss me off.

So my question to you guys, is a BA Hons degree harder than a normal degree?

Is media a harder subject to study than engineering?

Hopefully someone who has studied both can clear my mind. I'm fuming right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
What is abnormal about a BA hons degree? :confused:
I thought most degrees were BA hons or BSc hons?
Someone clarify, I'm confused.
Reply 2
I'd say a degree in engineering was probably harder than a degree in Media/TV.

Doesn't mean a BA is bad though.
Reply 3
This thread has to be a joke...

If not generally people assume a science aka BSc hons is harder than a BA hons degree. But personally I think that they are testing things which are so different you can't compare them. A degree is a degree at the end of the day, if it will help you to go where you want to go just enjoy it :smile:
BA - Bachelor of Arts in chosen subject!
BSc - Bachelor of sciences

I'm doing Criminology Hons and its not that hard but i am only in my first year. With an hons, i think its a bit liking having the option to achieve A*
Reply 5
A BA (Hons) is when you get a 2.2 or above, as opposed to an 'ordinary' third class degree. And to be honest, it depends where you study Media, theoretical courses at good universities tend to be more academically rigorous.
Reply 6
BA is a bachelor of arts degree. He is probably doing a BEng - bachelor of engineering. They're just different courses and classifications, although media/tv more difficult than engineering...? Probably not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm intrigued - what on earth do you think constitutes a 'normal degree'?
Reply 8
There are so many urban myths in this thread. They are both Bachelor's degrees and therefore both of equal value. Any university would regard them equally when looking at qualifications for post graduate work etc. Any degree can be regarded as useless if applied to the wrong subject - a degree in law or medicine will not get you very far in helping to design a building - that requires architecture and engineering. Similarly, an arts degree won't help in medical research, but neither will a degree in business or dentistry assist in getting a foothold in a study off classical civilizations. The significance of the degree is its use for the specific career/postgraduate work you wish to study - that's the whole point of having degrees in differing subjects. There is no difference in standard or quality, just subsequent career development and use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending