The Student Room Group

What is considered a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Basiji
All Arts degrees are useless, like wtf are you gonna do with an English degree, or History (apart from the obvious Historian or teacher/lecturer)? ROFL. Maths and Science FTW.

Firstly university is primarily for education not for jobs, that comes second. If you wanted a job more than you wanted a academic degree then people should go do an apprenticship. Secondly please tell me how many jobs there are out there for doctors, engineers, scientists and mathematicians? Not many.

Moreover something like 40% of graduate jobs are open to people with any degree types.
Here is an example for history degrees.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jan/16/history-degree-careers
Journalism
Reply 22
In my opinion journalism is not a useless degree. People can get quite good money in journalism, but it's hard to find a job in it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by the mezzil
Firstly university is primarily for education not for jobs, that comes second. If you wanted a job more than you wanted a academic degree then people should go do an apprenticship. Secondly please tell me how many jobs there are out there for doctors, engineers, scientists and mathematicians? Not many.

Moreover something like 40% of graduate jobs are open to people with any degree types.

There is always a job available if you're a doctor. With engineering, it depends really, like with software engineering it is hard to find a job if you have no experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I think history, photography and sociology are pretty useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
A Masters in Golf Filmography
Reply 27
Media studies can get you into tv. And that could get you kinda famous, like Richard Hammond. So I don't really think it is useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Ph.D in poetry o_O. In my opinion that is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Basiji
All Arts degrees are useless, like wtf are you gonna do with an English degree, or History (apart from the obvious Historian or teacher/lecturer)? ROFL. Maths and Science FTW.

Theoretical Physics is the most useless degree ever and what can you do with a Zoology degree? Become a zoo keeper? ROFL. Arts and humanities FTW. /end intellectual snobbery
Reply 30
Original post by the mezzil

It's not even that, it's the fact that what they study doesn't help society in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't English just studying poems and old literature? Or history - studying what happened in the past?

Science helps understand how the world works, finding cures for diseases and conditions and so on.
Reply 31
57 degrees.

Has anybody ever seen anything at a 57 degree angle? I mean, why is it even there? I blame the foreigners.

Many go on to be pro golfers or own/ run a golf club or coach. It has one of the highest employment rates out of all degrees. Just saying...:cool:
A useless degree is one you can't make use of. Although, with some degrees, I wonder what you can do with them apart from teaching...
Original post by Basiji
It's not even that, it's the fact that what they study doesn't help society in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't English just studying poems and old literature? Or history - studying what happened in the past?

Science helps understand how the world works, finding cures for diseases and conditions and so on.

My god you are one stupid/ignorant person. Do a little researching before you start putting across simplistic and narrow minded arguments
Original post by azg545

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?
Arts,media studies,sociology,philosophy. Its Ok if you want to work for a supermarket and skip working on the tills but not much else on its own.
Original post by azg545
There is always a job available if you're a doctor. With engineering, it depends really, like with software engineering it is hard to find a job if you have no experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But if everyone went off to go study those subjects then..... and precisely. Those jobs are limited and hard to get.
Original post by azg545

Posted from TSR Mobile

How is History useless? It's so transferable and respected by many employers. I'd check the graduate prospectuses if I were you.
Reply 39
i always think anything like business studies, or business management, hospitality management are the kind of degrees that make university professors want to do this >> :banned:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending