The Student Room Group

21 and can't get an apprenticeship

Basically i'm 21 and I've been applying for apprenticeships between mid June or July until know and i still can't get an apprenticeship . my application is successful because they send me e-mails of apprenticeship to apply so they can fast track my application but still no interview. they also ask for my age so that got me guessing they or the employer wants to know what age the candidate is so they can pay them the nmw for 16-18 year old.

if that's the case they should have a different website for 21+ for apprenticeships. and if the employer doesn't want to take on some 21+ then they shouldn't have a vacancy.i was also gutted because they had two interior design jobs which i applied and didn't get.

I've still got the contact details for the 2 interior design company should i contact them for work experience or even voluntary? i'm not fussed just need experience. plus i've got a portfolio and i can show them my work
Reply 1
I was in the same situation as you, and hated every minute of it.

I stayed on school for A-Levels and after then decided against Uni and opted for an apprenticeship. Earning while I learnt rather than getting into debt made sense to me, how hard could it be?

Well I would have been 18 when I finished A-Levels and I must have applied for 2 apprenticeships. Got neither. Long story short I'm soon to be 23 and have finally managed to get in. I must have applied for about 6 or 7 since leaving school but luckily I had a part time job in a supermarket which was made full time and so I could earn some cash while trying to find my ideal career.

Although it shouldn't age does play a role in candidate selection. But however down it gets you, if its what you want keep chasing it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi expresschoco,

What sort of apprenticeships are you looking for, are they in a particular field?

Thanks,

Hannah
Reply 3
Original post by Logica Sponsored Degree Programme
Hi expresschoco,

What sort of apprenticeships are you looking for, are they in a particular field?

Thanks,

Hannah

I'm looking for business administration/retail/care work anything really

I applied for two interior design apprenticeship and I was unsuccessful so i'm going to e-mail them asking for work experience
Original post by expresschoco
I'm looking for business administration/retail/care work anything really

I applied for two interior design apprenticeship and I was unsuccessful so i'm going to e-mail them asking for work experience

Have you already completed A-Levels? If so you should consider looking for higher apprenticeships (also called sponsored degrees and school leaver programmes) as these are specifically looking for candidates aged 18+.

In the meantime, getting work experience is definitely a good thing to do. Good luck!

Thanks, Hannah
Reply 5
Hi
I didn't do A levels I went to art College. I'm currently volunteering in admin to get experience.

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by expresschoco
Basically i'm 21 and I've been applying for apprenticeships between mid June or July until know and i still can't get an apprenticeship . my application is successful because they send me e-mails of apprenticeship to apply so they can fast track my application but still no interview. they also ask for my age so that got me guessing they or the employer wants to know what age the candidate is so they can pay them the nmw for 16-18 year old.

if that's the case they should have a different website for 21+ for apprenticeships. and if the employer doesn't want to take on some 21+ then they shouldn't have a vacancy.i was also gutted because they had two interior design jobs which i applied and didn't get.

I've still got the contact details for the 2 interior design company should i contact them for work experience or even voluntary? i'm not fussed just need experience. plus i've got a portfolio and i can show them my work

How old are you?? im 28 and have begun applying for apprenticeships myself. most companies now dont have upper age limits due to age discrimination, however the thought of not being selected still lurks around in the back of my mind. i have heard of a 31 year old woman getting an engineering apprenticeship so persevering is crucial if you really want something. me personally, im a hard nut to crack, no matter how hard and how many times i have to fall i will get back up and carry on. at my age you need determination and relevant skills, you need to sell yourself and stand out. if you want it that bad dont give up.....

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Galaxy S3
Reply 7
I have only turned 19 back in October and I am struggling to find an apprenticeship as well.. They seem to prefer 16-18 year olds most of the time because it is fully funded by the government while most places after 18, the employer may have to pay a small charge.. It is highly annoying tbh, and since apprenticeships are becoming more popular as well, it is alot harder to get one than getting one two years ago.. I hope you find one soon and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I made the wrong choice , should have gone to apprenticeship after gcse but was pushed into college. Did AS and got decent grades. Planning to apply and get in before my 18th bday and leave A2

💷Certified 💷
They get full funding when they're 16-18. Thankfully, I was still 18 after finishing College and managed to find one. It took me a good few months though!

It also depends what sector you're trying for in terms of popularity and efficiency. Engineering, IT and Business are quite popular.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending