The Student Room Group

How long did it take you to make close friends?

Just wondering.

I'm 2 months in and have plenty of acquaintances and get on well with my flatmates, but I haven't really made any good connections with anyone and feel kinda lonely. Not unhappy at uni, just feeling content right now.
I feel the same.

I only feel comfortable with 2 people and I only think I will end up really close friends with one of them...I love all my flatmates, but I still feel shy around most of them and I don't think we will ever be close friends, but they're good for a laugh.
I only really made acquaintances until January. First term is just meeting as many people you can recognise and say hello to, then in second term you start hanging out with certain crowds regularly.
I'm the same, get along really well with most of my flatmates but I wouldn't say any of them are close friends or anything. I don't mind all that much really, you can't force these things and I still have my close friends living at home so I see them quite often.
Reply 4
Well, I've made a girlfriend (that sounds weird, do people say that? If you say that you've 'made' a friend, surely you can say that you've 'made' a girlfriend too? But now my girlfriend just sounds fake... oh well xD) but apart from that I haven't really made any strong friendships. I talk to people who I live with and who are doing my course, but I don't know where to draw the line between 'acquaintance' and 'friend'. I'll say I've probably made about 10 friends, but none of the friendships are particularly developed. Maybe if I didn't spend so long with my girlfriend I would have made better friendships by now, but oh well.
Reply 5
It took me a year to make close uni friends. I mainly hung out with my flatmates in the first couple of terms, but after first year my main group of friends were people I had only become close with in summer term.
I haven't really made any 'close' friends. I do have one, who I'm moving in with next year, but were not that close. We do get on with each other well, we just don't hang out a lot outside uni. I'm hoping to make some more 'close' friends soon, as it would be nice to have more people to talk to.

I do have friends at uni, but we've not hung out outside uni though.
Reply 7
I didn't make any friends at uni until the second year.
Reply 8
Just started uni this year and I feel like I've already made a lot of close friends, quite a few of which I met on the first night of Freshers.
Guess you sometimes just get lucky, we've got a good group who always hang out together now.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I only really made acquaintances until January. First term is just meeting as many people you can recognise and say hello to, then in second term you start hanging out with certain crowds regularly.

But who did you end up staying with in your second year and when did you sort that out?
Haha I am the same.. except I don't feel lonely.

I feel like it takes time and a particular type of personality for me to feel some one is my friend... and even more time and effort for me to feel like I have a close friend.
Reply 11
Original post by Motivation1
Just wondering.

I'm 2 months in and have plenty of acquaintances and get on well with my flatmates, but I haven't really made any good connections with anyone and feel kinda lonely. Not unhappy at uni, just feeling content right now.

I would say it took me about 18 months - 2 years to settle properly and find my real friendship group. Not that I didn't have any friends before I had plenty, they just weren't the people I ended up closest to
Forever!
I'm at Warwick uni, where I would most expect to find people I can relate to (i.e. crazy people who don't live life in an ordinary way) but nope :no:
I do have a few people who I'd like to keep in touch with after uni, but that's about it.
Original post by siwelmail
But who did you end up staying with in your second year and when did you sort that out?

January. Honestly, there's this big panic about finding a house, there's really no reason to worry. There's still houses now looking to be filled. Worst, absolute worst case scenario, just join a flat with other people in it. They'll interview you and decide if you can join up or not. Like in Fresh Meat :smile:
I'm in second year and still don't have 'close' friends, but my definition of a close friend may be different to the next person's. Loads of acquaintances but no one I could talk to about anything deep or personal.
I'm in first year too, the only person I'm really close to is my boyfriend. We're both in the situation where we don't connect with our blocks (he's with 'lads' and I get along with my block on a superficial level but unfortunately not past that.). Getting along so well with him actually just juxtaposes how forced getting along with other people is.

I thought I had a few friends in other blocks, but as I've got closer to my boyfriend I've drifted apart from then because I realised I was making more of an effort then they were... Maybe that's normal at uni especially as they get along with their blocks but it's just a bit offputting.

My hall is really cliquey, it's like friendship groups are already set in stone, people have stopped being all friendly and chatty like the first few weeks and just keep to themselves. I'm not going to lie I feel pretty down, at home I normally have the opposite problem where I get stressed because there are too many people and too little time. Most people seem to know who they're living with next year and I don't have a clue.

I am however going to make more of an effort with people on my course, I usually just stick with my blockmate but yeah I had a good chat with someone new today and will be more involved with societies next term :smile:
Reply 16
I'm in my third year & i'm doing my dissertation on how missing your pre-university friendships can affect you. In particular, i need first year student respondents. It's an online survey & only takes a few minutes to complete. But as i can't post it on this forum, if anyone is interested in taking part, please message me & i'd be happy to send you the link.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending