The Student Room Group

Eligible for JSA?

Hi there.

I'll be due to finish my Apprenticeship in the end of January. However, I will be going to University in September/October 2013.

During the mean time from January till September, can I claim Job Seekers Allowance to support me while I look for work?

I really do not want to go on, but I will have no real choice but to go on as I'll need to support myself for 8 months if I cannot find employment, as it is definitely not a guarantee that you will just leave a job and go straight into another one in this economical climate.

Thanks
Reply 1
If you're available for and seeking work, you can claim.
Reply 2
If you have a confirmed place t university I don't think you can claim.

You can chose not to tell them you have a place, and just sign off in September, at your risk.
Reply 3
Original post by River85
If you have a confirmed place t university I don't think you can claim.

You can chose not to tell them you have a place, and just sign off in September, at your risk.

I'd rather not put it at risk. I'll go down and ask either way, and make it very clear that I am intending to go to University as I have place confirmed (conditional offer - conditions on showing them my certificates as I already have the grades).

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by JohnLAMan
I'd rather not put it at risk. I'll go down and ask either way, and make it very clear that I am intending to go to University as I have place confirmed (conditional offer - conditions on showing them my certificates as I already have the grades).

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.

I was allowed in 2004 but I am not sure if the fact that I was going to Uni in Oct actually sunk in or perhaps the rule changed later.

In 2008 I was informed that a student who has taken a break from uni, or on a gap year/is due to start uni, can claim. The exception being people who have suspended studies due to health.
Reply 5
Original post by River85
I was allowed in 2004 but I am not sure if the fact that I was going to Uni in Oct actually sunk in or perhaps the rule changed later.

In 2008 I was informed that a student who has taken a break from uni, or on a gap year/is due to start uni, can claim. The exception being people who have suspended studies due to health.

Well this applies to me. Either way, I'll find out.

Thanks for your help, man :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending