The Student Room Group

Are Afro-Caribbean societies racist?

Before I start, I am Black-British and of Nigerian descent.

There are many societies at universities up and down the country which are only for people of certain races. Why?
I mean, if there were white only societies, they'd surely be branded racist? The ethnic societies contain people that have probably experienced racism but to intentionally isolate yourself by joining a society at university for people of the same colour, aren't you just encouraging it?

I kind of shunned the ACS at my university because of this. Don't get me wrong, I love myself and 'my people' but I loathe the mentality of these societies. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I'm very open to the opinions and beliefs of others on TSR and I'd love some input from someone that is part of one of these university societies that could change my view.
Thanks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

This doesn't really answer your question Kunle419 but it does sem to me that as soon as you put the word 'English' in the name of a society it is perceived to have racist views.
I think it's because England is the white English society. There's no real need for it. That said, I don't understand religious societies at uni because surely they can just go to church or whatever.
Many universities have Nordic societies, Hispanic societies, South Asian societies and societies for various other nationalities/ethnic groups. A quick Google search also shows the existence of English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish societies.

I don't know where you got the idea that they are only for certain people, but that is not the case; membership is open for everybody if they wish to join. The societies focus on the history/salient cultural themes typically associated with the various groups. I don't see what is racist about it. It's also worth noting that Africa and the Caribbean have residents of a range of different ancestries and 'colours'.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not sure whether I can answer that, but I have definitely had the same thoughts as you.. I've never understood why alot of people do that. I've never ever seen any 'white people culture' groups/magazines/shows.. Maybe it's because we don't have as much 'culture' as afro-caribbean's do ;] haha! Me and my boyfriend always have these discussions (he's of jamaican descent)..
I think it also branches out into TV too.. for example BET (black entertainment channel something or other).. What is the point of putting the 'black' into it :s-smilie: it's like sometimes people enjoy socially outcasting themselves. There are black ONLY magazines (this goes for all races) and all sorts. 1xtra - a BBC radio channel on TV, started as the 'BLACK music' show ('love black music? Love 1extra') I don't get it personally, so good luck with getting the answer! But just to let you know you're not crazy cos I think about stuff like that too!!!
Reply 5
Original post by pollypokit_x
I'm not sure whether I can answer that, but I have definitely had the same thoughts as you.. I've never understood why alot of people do that. I've never ever seen any 'white people culture' groups/magazines/shows.. Maybe it's because we don't have as much 'culture' as afro-caribbean's do ;] haha! Me and my boyfriend always have these discussions (he's of jamaican descent)..
I think it also branches out into TV too.. for example BET (black entertainment channel something or other).. What is the point of putting the 'black' into it :s-smilie: it's like sometimes people enjoy socially outcasting themselves. There are black ONLY magazines (this goes for all races) and all sorts. 1xtra - a BBC radio channel on TV, started as the 'BLACK music' show ('love black music? Love 1extra') I don't get it personally, so good luck with getting the answer! But just to let you know you're not crazy cos I think about stuff like that too!!!

It's because most white people are racist towards their own race. The idea of a white anything would make them jump up and down in a programmed robotic manner shouting "racist, fascist, nazi". European countries have turned on their own cultures and started trying to embrace everyone else's culture much to their detriment;

[video="youtube_share;HW2UwXb-t7o"]http://youtu.be/HW2UwXb-t7o[/video]

I find that when you mention these facts in public places or the work place, people are shocked that it is mentioned as they are systemised and brainwashed, or culturally adjusted by the eduction system, the mass media etc. to think this way.

Someone told me a story about a Priest in a church at a wedding who said he would refuse to perform gay marriages even if he went to jail. The crowd were mumbling outside how it was a bad speech. If the question was about Imams accepting gay marriage never in a million years would they accept it. To the BBC Christians are bigots and any documentaries about Islam (which is less "tolerant") portray it as shining perfection.

People just accept this and strangely act like someone who is questioning their bizarre behaviour has unusual views rather than them questioning their own. Most people are too simple to take a look at their own views, even the so called most clever people.
Reply 6
It'd only be racist if people of other cultures weren't allowed to join! Anyone can attend cultural/racial societies and their events - it just probably won't be to your interest.
Reply 7
I'll allow the black beauty pageant to pass - and anything else that african-americans created, back in the day when black people genuinely weren't allowed to participate in the original versions.

Everything else however (Yes, BET, major fingers pointing at you here) I'll classify as racist.

Afro-Carribean society, however, I wouldn't really bother with.
Original post by Another
I'll allow the black beauty pageant to pass - and anything else that african-americans created, back in the day when black people genuinely weren't allowed to participate in the original versions.

Everything else however (Yes, BET, major fingers pointing at you here) I'll classify as racist.

Afro-Carribean society, however, I wouldn't really bother with.

BET exists because there weren't any Black actors or musicians on mainstream TV.

There's television channels for other countries, religions etc.

What's the big deal?
You are forgetting there are Chinese, South East Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Welsh, Scottish ect societies. I personally don't bother with ACS, but they are open to everyone.

Can you elaborate when you say you loathe their mentalities.
Original post by whyumadtho
Many universities have Nordic societies, Hispanic societies, South Asian societies and societies for various other nationalities/ethnic groups. A quick Google search also shows the existence of English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish societies.

I don't know where you got the idea that they are only for certain people, but that is not the case; membership is open for everybody if they wish to join. The societies focus on the history/salient cultural themes typically associated with the various groups. I don't see what is racist about it. It's also worth noting that Africa and the Caribbean have residents of a range of different ancestries and 'colours'.

You not aware of the animosity which exists between some West Africans and African-Caribbeans?
Original post by sugar-n-spice
You not aware of the animosity which exists between some West Africans and African-Caribbeans?
I am aware, but what does that have to do with anything? :confused:
Original post by whyumadtho
I am aware, but what does that have to do with anything? :confused:

I wondered if OP was worried about personal victimisation rather than their actual existence being racist.
Reply 13
Original post by chronic_fatigue
You are forgetting there are Chinese, South East Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Welsh, Scottish ect societies. I personally don't bother with ACS, but they are open to everyone.

Can you elaborate when you say you loathe their mentalities.

During bazaars when there is a stand for the ACS at my uni, they only approach black people. There's also an obvious vibe of, 'you're SUPPOSED to be part of this group'.
Original post by Kunle419
During bazaars when there is a stand for the ACS at my uni, they only approach black people. There's also an obvious vibe of, 'you're SUPPOSED to be part of this group'.
I'm not so sure: it makes the most business sense to target those who are visibly of African-Caribbean descent because they are the most likely demographic to join the respective society. They don't reject other people, but they don't bother targeting them either because the success rate will be considerably lower. Similarly, Islamic societies are going to target those who are visibly of south Asian descent and/or those wearing clothing associated with Islam because people with these attributes are traditionally the most popular demographic in those societies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kunle419

But that makes sense doesn't it? They may think other students are not interested but there are non-black members.
Reply 16
Well, I think a double standard exists yes. I think either ban all these societies or allow English or white societies or it just creates division and sense of victim hood.
Original post by kombu
Well, I think a double standard exists yes. I think either ban all these societies or allow English or white societies or it just creates division and sense of victim hood.
There are English societies.

There are no 'black' or 'white' societies.
i think it would only really be racist if they refused to let people join who werent african, but at the same time i think its creating a divide that doesnt really need to be there. although people might find it easier to get on with people from their own country, particularly if england/britain is a foreign country to them. but i wish they didnt exist because i dont think the point of experiencing education in a foreign country is to stay in your safe zone with people of your own nationality, i think it would be better if they made friends naturally from all backgrounds. just my opinion
Reply 19
But it's not a "black society". White people can be Caribbean too you know. I know a few white people whose families have been in the Caribbean for probably longer than mine has seeing as they needed to go to the Caribbean first to set up the government and slave plantations before they could bring the slaves over. There are white Africans (ex-colonists) too as well as Asian-Africans Asian-Caribbeans (mostly labor migrants brought over in the 19th century after the end of slavery) A white society is just plain racist as it would only admit people based on their race which is something that no other society does, An English society would be questionable because in this country at least you're only seen as English if you are of Anglo-Saxon descent. A British society would be totally fine but unfortunately it would probably be hijacked by right wing racists.

The thing I really hate about African-Caribbean societies is a) it lumps African society and Caribbean society under one big umbrella just because both populations are mostly black so I guess you are right about it being an undercover black society. Nigerian culture has nothing to do with Kenyan culture and both certainly has even less to do with Cuban or Jamaican culture because of 4000 miles and 300 years worth of separation. As someone else previously pointed out Caribbeans and Africans don't really like each other anyway so these societies are about as culturally sensitive as an American-European society. the b) reason is that because all of the cultures lumped under one umbrella have nothing to do with each other in reality the society just ends up drawing on "urban culture" which a lot of black UK students regardless of origin can identify with (no racism, most UK black people live in urban areas that's why). I used to go to my ACS until I realised that all they did was rap battles and talk about urban youth issues. Nothing wrong with that but that wasn't what I was there for. I was there to learn about national cuisine and history.

Oh yeah and I just remembered the cat is really out of the bag with their regular hosting of Black History events. Yeah it's obviously just an undercover black society.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest