The Student Room Group

Should I take my Dad to court?

My parents split up about 10 years ago. Since then I have lived with my mum and have seen my dad on a two weekly basis. Recently I finished my A-levels but opted to get a deferred entry to university and have a gap year instead. My dad earns a larger than average sum of money however he believes that my mum is "rich", she is OK, but I wouldn't say rich (she's a teacher).

Anyway, my dad has decided to stop paying for me through the CSA since I am "no longer in education" (therefore a working adult) so right now I'm trying to work to raise money to go travelling in February but to also help pay the bills since its very expensive for my mum to help pay for my trip and keep me at home.

Legally I can take my dad to court since I am still at home with a plan to go to university next year but then there's moral issues that I'm uncertain about.

He said that he is not helping me at all this year but I'm finding it hard to do the things I wanted to do with my year off.

What do you think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Did you actually consult him about going on a gap year, or did you just announce it to him like it's a done thing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How old are you? 18 and he doesn't actually have to pay a thing..
Reply 3
Get a job and stop whining.
Reply 4
I'm planning on going travelling and I'm refusing to take money from my parents, if you decided to take a gap year for yourself to travel why should they be obliged to help you financially?
Are you serious? If you want to take your dad to court because he won't fund your gap year you seriously need to get a grip.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Live within your means

If you cannot afford to go travelling, then don't
If your parents were still together and they didn't want to pay for you to go travelling, would you try to take them to court over it? I don't live at home any more but don't think I'd dream of expecting my parents to pay for me to go travelling. You should have checked that he was prepared to support you instead of assuming it.
Reply 8
Sorry if this sounds rude, but I really can't stand people who think their parents owe them one.
I'm currently working full time whilst funding my own access course and helping pay the bills at home. I'm barely making ends meet but I wouldn't dream of asking anybody for anything, when I can do it myself. If you can't afford a gap year then don't go on one. I wouldn't take your dad to court - you'd just get laughed at.
Reply 9
My parents split up about 10 years ago. Since then I have lived with my mum and have seen my dad on a two weekly basis. Recently I finished my A-levels but opted to get a deferred entry to university and have a gap year instead. My dad earns a larger than average sum of money however he believes that my mum is "rich", she is OK, but I wouldn't say rich (she's a teacher).

Anyway, my dad has decided to stop paying for me through the CSA since I am "no longer in education" (therefore a working adult) so right now I'm trying to work to raise money to go travelling in February but to also help pay the bills since its very expensive for my mum to help pay for my trip and keep me at home.

Legally I can take my dad to court since I am still at home with a plan to go to university next year but then there's moral issues that I'm uncertain about.

He said that he is not helping me at all this year but I'm finding it hard to do the things I wanted to do with my year off.

What an absolute abomination of an attitude you have. Get a job or don't go travelling.
Reply 10
Go for it, I'm sure a solicitor would love to take you're money, considering you don't have a legal leg to stand on. Child maintenance only applies up to A levels or equivalent - you've finished them now.
At least you have a dad...
Reply 12
Court? This may be more of an issue for Jeremy Kyle.
Reply 13
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Are you serious? If you want to take your dad to court because he won't fund your gap year you seriously need to get a grip.

Original post by TenOfThem
Live within your means

If you cannot afford to go travelling, then don't

I agree with these statements. Get a job, OP.
And you're making your struggling mum help fund your trip too? Lovely!
Dear me this is sad, you sound very stuck up, get off your arse and get a job then that way you can afford all your luxuries like travelling etc, some people seem to think it is just handed to them on a plate. Never heard something so stupid like taking your own Father to court.
Reply 16
What are you moaning about? You have a mother who seems like she can support you well enough. You're 18, parents don't have to give two ****s about you when you reach that age. Not only that, you're moaning because you dad refuses to pay you to see you about every fortnight? Don't be so stuck up and count yourself grateful that he supported you up until now. If you can't afford a gap year don't go on one, I can't afford a Ferrari yet you don't see me taking my parents to court.
Surely taking your dad to court will cost more money. You obviously just want some sort of payback.

You need to learn a lesson from Vincent K McMahon:

No, you can't. If you're taking a gap year then you aren't in full-time education. If you aren't in full-time education then you aren't eligible for CSA. You also aren't eligble if you live abroad, which you will be doing if you're going to go travelling for any length of time. So that's a double no.
i think you are all being very harsh. There is probably things that you do not know about here in the relationship. She said she has a job. Also maybe her mum is encouraging her to go on a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending