The Student Room Group

Quit An Apprenticeship?

Hey, I'm 18 and 3 months into my apprenticeship/administrator in a doctors surgery. I really don't like what I'm doing at the moment (I always wanted a career in retail) and it seems as if whatever I do is wrong. I've just finished the probationary period and really want to resign, my mum and dad keep telling me to put up with it, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. I'm looking at alternatives already, e.g. college courses. My apprenticeship ends in September but I don't think I'm going to be able to last that long! Should I tell my boss? Should I quit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's a tough one. But I can see quitting early backfiring.

Depending what you go onto do quitting your apprenticeship early wouldn't go down well with other potential employers. What's to say you wouldn't do it again? Then in the other hand, if you don't even mention it, how do you plan to fill in the gap left by your apprenticeship? Provide suitable references?

I would follow the advice of your parents. Stick with it because at least you have a job and will achieve something at the end of it. If you still feel the same once completed then you can look to move on.
Reply 2
Is it ther money? most wages are poor my friend has one and she gets £75 a week it is disgusting.
Reply 3
Original post by ClaireMilton12
Hey, I'm 18 and 3 months into my apprenticeship/administrator in a doctors surgery. I really don't like what I'm doing at the moment (I always wanted a career in retail) and it seems as if whatever I do is wrong. I've just finished the probationary period and really want to resign, my mum and dad keep telling me to put up with it, but it's getting harder and harder to do so. I'm looking at alternatives already, e.g. college courses. My apprenticeship ends in September but I don't think I'm going to be able to last that long! Should I tell my boss? Should I quit?

hey! im 18 to, and i aint enjoying mine either! i wish someone would answer this question!

Hi!
I hated my job in a factory I stuck it out for a year as I was waiting for my apprenticeship to start which I was accepted onto. Look this is called the 'traditional economy' everyone's parents do the same and we all do tbf, put up with a job we hate and want to leave and say I'll quit but never do.

If you don't like it then honestly quit, as long as you have something esle lined up :smile: If money isn't an issue then quit, no point being unhappy!
Reply 5
Original post by sassy123
Is it ther money? most wages are poor my friend has one and she gets £75 a week it is disgusting.

If people do apprenticeships for the money then they're doing it wrong.
Reply 6
Don't quit until you have something else lined up and in interviews, be brutally honest, just say that the field you were studying in didn't interest you at all but you enjoy working so you thought maybe it was better to look around! I go through ups and downs in my apprenticeship, and at the minute I really don't want to do it, however that doesn't mean to say that in 3 weeks time, something else will have been introduced into my role that actually, I'll adore- that's the whole point of the apprenticeship. I'm lucky to have a great relationship with my boss so if I'm struggling with something or really not enjoying it, then we will talk it out and find some kind of compromise- not all bosses are scary and they do actually want you to enjoy what you're doing!
Don't leave. I know exactly how you feel and you just don't want to be there. The wages might not be fab and the job satisfaction isn't up there but stick it out or find a better alternative, honestly, in the long run it will be so much better, you've less than a year left and after that, when you have those qualifications, move on and find the thing you enjoy.
Believe me when I say though- the grass is NOT greener on the other side, my partner found this out the hard way!
Good luck with everything and I hope things go okay though :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Have you tried to look for apprenticeships in Retail then?
Reply 8
I'm in a similar situation. My mother pushed me into this apprenticeship and I seriously hate it. My boss is hard on me and I can't do anything right. I've been looking at other jobs but no more apprenticeships. I originally wanted to be a midwife so open college is for me. But do what you want to do despite what others think. Look after number one!!

Good luck!
Reply 9

I completely know how you feel, I'm doing exactly the same job for just over a month and I absolutely hate it, I don't understand anythinig they keep pressuring me to do things I don't feel comfortable and ready to do yet and yesterday one of the doctors had a huge go at me in front of everyone about the scanning! I just completely broke down (the result of weeks and weeks of stress and confusion).I am tired of having this constant battle between what I want to do and what I feel I should do, on the one hand I'm thier first apprentice and I don't want to let them down on the other I am miserable and it's affecting my work.
I've decided to take a weeks holiday and try to figure things out during that time e.g finding a new job. I always liked the idea of owning a dog grooming salon and am thinking of doing a college course in that in Feb 2015.
My advice to you is to do what makes you happy. If you're miserable like me look at different options.

Hope this helps xx
I'd suggest before you quit make sure you've got something else lined up. Here are reviews from young people on apprenticeships in Retail that might help you. http://goo.gl/B52b5H

Thanks,

Felicity
I know where you're coming from... I am currently doing a level 3 business administration apprenticeship in a tourist information centre. Although it is the sector I want to work in, I enjoyed my time in human resources last year a lot more. I have this hunch that HR will be recruiting for another HR Assistant fairly shortly because they are ridiculously busy... there are more people in the TIC, which is an optional service! I hope my hunch proves right. I didn't go for the first HR Assistant job as I thought that the level 3 apprentice in the same department was a better fit, but I reckon I could hold my own if they recruit again. please do! I am missing HR horrendously to the point of being depressed and considering suicide...
what did you do then?
Don't consider suicide! Life is amazing! You will find what you want to do and everything will get better from there! life is amazing!
Don't consider suicide! Life is amazing! You will find what you want to do and everything will get better from there! life is amazing!
If you are depressed, please go and talk to your Doctor, talk to your parents, talk to anyone. Tell them how you feel. If you can't then call breathing space 0800 83 85 87. Try not to take life too seriously and remind yourself this feeling will pass. It has in the past and will again. It's hard to find out which way you want to go in life, society puts too much pressure on you and you can make exams/careers into a much bigger thing than it really is in your mind. You'll end up where you want to be. Feeling bad is just natures way of telling us we need to make changes. Problem solve it and look for better options. Good luck x
(edited 9 years ago)
I have got strong beliefs on what to do with a life and that there is no point in doing something you do not like to do. Do you really want to spend your time wishing you were doing something else? Unfortunately I am in a similar situation right now. Doing an apprenticeship in childcare and no matter how much I like to work with children, I am unhappy at where I am right now and do not see how I am going to finish this course. I feel like I am being terribly exploited (they let me do literally everything and the pay is low). The reason employers take on apprentices is because it the closest they can acceptably get to having their personal slave. I wanted the qualification but I am fed up and it is not even what I want to do in the future. There is no point in letting something make my life miserable so I have decided to spend next 2weeks looking for another job to fill up my savings and then just go do the things I like. I am resigning as soon as I have found something and maybe even if I haven't. But I will do it the proper way, give the 6 week notice, at least I will have a referee.
Stop wasting time, the bigger goal in life is to enjoy it right? Not to get a qualification or live up to expectations. It is about you. Stop putting your happiness in the future, because then that is where it will stay forever. Do it now.
Reply 17
Hi, I have the same exact problem! I'm 18,
I started an apprenticeship in February this year... I am six months in to it, I finish in February so another six months! My probation period ends this month and I am totally confused on what to do!
Travelling is a big issue for me as it takes me two hours to get to work and two hours to get back home as I have to catch the bus - this honestly wouldn't be a problem to me if I was committed to the business but I am constantly being moved around to different people, no one seems to know what to do with me and I am made to feel useless. My mentor at work hardly talks to me and when she ever gives me work it's always something wrong which she doesn't want to get the blame for. Six months in to my apprenticeship and I am still feeling dumb and clueless. I'm considering quitting... I have been considering this for a while and attending college. Problem is college starts in two weeks and I haven't got much time. I am scared about looking like a quitter to other employers and wasting a whole year. I have spoken to the learner provider about my unhappiness but she hasn't been much help. What do you think I should do?
Original post by Kates96x
Hi, I have the same exact problem! I'm 18,
I started an apprenticeship in February this year... I am six months in to it, I finish in February so another six months! My probation period ends this month and I am totally confused on what to do!
Travelling is a big issue for me as it takes me two hours to get to work and two hours to get back home as I have to catch the bus - this honestly wouldn't be a problem to me if I was committed to the business but I am constantly being moved around to different people, no one seems to know what to do with me and I am made to feel useless. My mentor at work hardly talks to me and when she ever gives me work it's always something wrong which she doesn't want to get the blame for. Six months in to my apprenticeship and I am still feeling dumb and clueless. I'm considering quitting... I have been considering this for a while and attending college. Problem is college starts in two weeks and I haven't got much time. I am scared about looking like a quitter to other employers and wasting a whole year. I have spoken to the learner provider about my unhappiness but she hasn't been much help. What do you think I should do?

It looks like a lot of time to waste on a bus. Time that could be spend doing something that you feel will get you somewhere. If you really do not want to go on, don't. If any future employer asks you about the apprenticeship (or you might just not mention it at all on your CV) you can tell them it wasn't your thing after all or turn it into something that will make you look better like, I don't know, maybe you could tell them you did not feel valued as a teammember while that is something that is important to you, to value everyone (so also the other wat around) and what employer doesn't like someone who will value everyone? Or say your apprenticeship employer wasn't giving you the space to grow while that is what you strive for in your career. Something like that. Depends on the role you are applying for ofcourse but it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you do finish college. If you've been thinking about it for a long time it may be nice to make a decision so you will be able to move on to something you feel will suit you better.
Whatever you do, best of luck! :smile:
I'm currently doing an apprenticeship in childcare level 2. I have 6 months left and they have just told me they won't be keeping me on for my level 3 because "they have no confidence in me to do my level 3 as well as my gcse maths and english" I'm in two minds weather to quit or not. I totally agree with the comment from "doesitmatter " apprentices are basically slaves and I think the wage is an insult!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending