The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology -17th January 2013 EXAM PREPARATION

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DotCom1
That's okay :smile: Thanks anyways. They helped a hell of a alot! I followed your notes and made my own. Just memorising everything now. Do you have an exam too?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I do indeed.
Reply 41
Any predictions for the 18 marker? I feel it is the hardest question on the paper!
Reply 42
Original post by s_axo
Hey. I'm uber glad I could have been so much help! Sadly i usually do my notes by hand so don't have many! Best of luck x

Hey, could you help me please on this question for 33 marks?
'The growth of new age movements is evidence of a spiritual revolution taking place in society today'
To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view?

I was thinking about putting:-
define what new age is - emphasises subjective expereince and personal development.(GIVE stats )
heelas and woodhead - hollistic millieu in kendall has grown about 1.6% growth since 2000. heelas - due to subjective turn in todays culture
drane - new age has grown due to postmodernity - collapse in metanarratives
AO2:- bruce- new age is feature of modernity - softer version of more traditional stricter religions such as churches
Heelas - new age movements are popular because they provide source of authentic identity, consumer culture, decline in traditional religions.
Bruce - growth of new age is due to modernisation and secularisation.
AO2:- the smaller growth of new age movements has not compensated for the larger delcine of traditional religion therefore spiritual revolution has not taken place. Furthermore stark and bainbridge also claim that new cults and sects are growing due to the continuous cycle of religion - old churches decline and leave a gap in the market to attract new sects and cults - A02 :- ( beckford and bruce )

The question asks about new age and SIMILAR MOVEMENTS, so do we also put about growth in nrm's and growth of sects and cults? and criticise them in turn? also i was thinking maybe bring secularisation theory at the end which claims religion is on A CONTINUOUS DECLINE ( so maybe put about 2 explanations such as rationalisation and religious dicversity criticise each in turn )

conclusion :- ------------------------?

I am confused whether this would be correct information to condense into this essay? any suggestions? please help me

Thank you
Reply 43
Original post by nicole.94
Any predictions for the 18 marker? I feel it is the hardest question on the paper!

Hey how much revision have you done and what do you think about the 33 marks? what will come up this time? what topics have come last time?

hmmm, I think, secularisation will come for either 33 or 18 marks?
I really wish none of the ideology and open belief system doesnt come up!!:s-smilie:
Reply 44
Hi people! I was told by my teacher that we must use the dates for each sociologist we mention in our essays. Is this true?
Reply 45
Original post by taslimmiah
Hi people! I was told by my teacher that we must use the dates for each sociologist we mention in our essays. Is this true?

what dates? i dont think thats necessary really! you just need to know the stats and thats all in terms of numbers :P

hey btw could you please check the essay plan above and see whether it is correct ?
Reply 46
I got 70 UMS in unit 1 and 110 UMS in unit 2...does anybody know what the combined ums i need from units 3 and 4 to get an A or an A* for my A2 overall?
Reply 47
Original post by sharon800
Hey how much revision have you done and what do you think about the 33 marks? what will come up this time? what topics have come last time?

hmmm, I think, secularisation will come for either 33 or 18 marks?
I really wish none of the ideology and open belief system doesnt come up!!:s-smilie:

Hey! I've not done much revision and so I'm really starting to panic. The 33 markers are okay because you get a choice and so theres the "easy" or "hard" question. I'm not sure what will come up this time, I'm thinking secularisation for 18 or 33 marker too!

I've just had to do the june 2012 paper over the holidays for my teacher to mark when we get back tomorrow. The 9 marker was ID and explain 3 reasons why statistics on religious belief may be inaccurate, 18 marker was assess the view that women are no longer oppressed in religion today, and 33 markers were either critically examine sociological views of sects in society today or "religion is still the most significant ideological influence in the world today" to what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view?

Because of that, I think that the 33 marker will not be on ideology thank goodness! I hate that too, it's so waffly!

Hows your revision going?
Reply 48
what dates? i dont think thats necessary really! you just need to know the stats and thats all in terms of numbers :P

hey btw could you please check the essay plan above and see whether it is correct ?

Just got some more opinions from a few others that have already got A's in this subject, and they actually told me if you're going for an A* dates for sociologists must be mentioned.
Reply 49
Original post by nicole.94
Hey! I've not done much revision and so I'm really starting to panic. The 33 markers are okay because you get a choice and so theres the "easy" or "hard" question. I'm not sure what will come up this time, I'm thinking secularisation for 18 or 33 marker too!

I've just had to do the june 2012 paper over the holidays for my teacher to mark when we get back tomorrow. The 9 marker was ID and explain 3 reasons why statistics on religious belief may be inaccurate, 18 marker was assess the view that women are no longer oppressed in religion today, and 33 markers were either critically examine sociological views of sects in society today or "religion is still the most significant ideological influence in the world today" to what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view?

Because of that, I think that the 33 marker will not be on ideology thank goodness! I hate that too, it's so waffly!

Hows your revision going?

I have done most of my revision....right you know the social groups and religious participation, there arent many criticisms for that! i dont know what to write in a 18 marker for that if there is no critics! there are 2 in each topic!!!!

I have revised for everything except science as belief system and the age participation in religion! everything else is done :smile: now doing some essay plans
Do you make essay plans and how do revise for this?
Reply 50
I got 70 UMS in unit 1 and 110 UMS in unit 2...does anybody know what the combined ums i need from units 3 and 4 to get an A or an A* for my A2 overall?

To get an A you need a minimum of 140 UMS combined from units 3 and 4 (giving you a total of 320/400 UMS which is an A)

To get an A*, you need 180 UMS combined from units 3 and 4 :smile: (this is the same for all A levels for an A*)
Reply 51
im doing politics top instead its so hard and boring!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant even get help from ppl as not many other skwls choose this
Reply 52
Original post by Saleena94
im doing politics top instead its so hard and boring!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant even get help from ppl as not many other skwls choose this

You mean the power and politics unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many sociologist names would you consider putting in a 33 mark question and does it make much of a difference if you don't, mark wise? I've never really bothered including names and still achieved an A in unit 2 but at A2 will it be necessary to do so to gain those higher band marks? I just really suck at trying to remember what names go with a particular topic -_- What does everyone find simple for the beliefs unit?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Hi guys. Could anyone work out the UMS I'd need for the next two units for an A*? I recieved 200 UMS for AS.
Reply 55

I asked my sociology teacher last year about that, he said no it's not necesary but it might be useful from a historical point of view. I ignored the dates and didn't seem to lose any marks for it.

This year, just to check from another teachers point of view, I asked my new sociology teacher whether we had to learn the dates. She said that the chief examiner brought this up in a meeting they had and that he said "Students don't need to know the dates, although it might be useful to have it to critcize certain theories for being out dated".

So no it would appear you don't :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by EmilyStrange13
How many sociologist names would you consider putting in a 33 mark question and does it make much of a difference if you don't, mark wise? I've never really bothered including names and still achieved an A in unit 2 but at A2 will it be necessary to do so to gain those higher band marks? I just really suck at trying to remember what names go with a particular topic -_- What does everyone find simple for the beliefs unit?

yes, you must put the key thinkers down! personally, i think role of religion, secularisation, and conservative social change debate is good :smile:
Reply 57
Has anyone else done the Global Development topic for this?

My sociology teacher said our college is one of around only 40 in the UK that choose to do Global Development
yes, you must put the key thinkers down! personally, i think role of religion, secularisation, and conservative social change debate is good :smile:

Oh okay, thanks for letting me know. I like those topics too, especially the conservative and social debate topic. I'd love for there to be a 33 marker on that because I know the names of the sociologists that I would have to include.
Reply 59
Original post by EmilyStrange13
Oh okay, thanks for letting me know. I like those topics too, especially the conservative and social debate topic. I'd love for there to be a 33 marker on that because I know the names of the sociologists that I would have to include.

same :smile: ah man, how i wish conservatve radical debate came in the exam for january 2013!!

we got this question, that i wasnt too sure on...what are your views on this....what material can we put in this?

Religion is now more believing without belonging' To what extent do sociological explainations, justify this statement for religious beliefs, religious organisations and social groups. ( 33 marks )

Quick Reply

Latest