The Student Room Group

Safest car thread

Hi guys,

Hope you're having a great day.

Recently I was involved in a serious accident, in which my car was written off along with the other vehicle which crashed into me, but we were all okay (no serious injuries).

Apart from that accident I'm pretty careful with driving and haven't even been fined before, but I'm still a bit shaken from it and keen to discuss with everyone about SAFE cars to drive, e.g. with airbags and strong roofs as I had a lamp post fall on mine!

I've heard Volvos are really good, but lol they're kinda dorky looking and apparently expensive to maintain (I used to own a Mercedes, which was amazing, but not going there again as financially it was a nightmare!).

So in your opinion what's the safest car?

Ash xo
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.euroncap.com/

Has crash test results. Bare in mind though the results are only comparable when compared cars in the same size bracket. As big car will always be safer because there's more metal to absorb the impact.

Car safety has improved a lot in the last 25 years. So generally the more modern a car is the better. Bare you need to consider now old a car is but how old the design is.
Reply 2
[video="youtube;A4d9dqaMDxI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4d9dqaMDxI[/video]
Reply 3
That depends on your budget and what you consider to be good looking. I think Volvos look great personally, both old and new:

Other good cars are made Renault, who consistently score well in NCAP testing, but the rest of the vehicle leaves a lot to be desired IMO. They look pretty vile most of the time, and aren't the most reliable things in the world.

If you genuinely want a tough vehicle then look at 4x4s with a proper chassis (a ladder frame stretching from bumper to bumper that helps transmit the force of impact down the length of the vehicle) and then fit it with an external roll cage:

'Aint much getting through that!
Reply 4
There's no one car which will be the safest - pretty much all new cars are. Just when looking at cars, check out their NCAP rating to get an idea of their safety. :biggrin:

And Btw, I have to add, that the current Volvo Line up is absolutely stunning. Some of the best looking cars on the road are Volvos :wink:
Reply 5
Don't rely on the NCAP rating, especially for newer cars. Manufacturers design their cars to excel at the standardised tests the NCAP people use, but you're unlikely to be in the same situation when you have an accident.
I once had a friend who after being passenger in a serious car crash age 12-13 bought at not inconsiderable expense a 2 year old 5 star rated car with all the latest features. 6 months later MOT failed on tyre wear on all tyres, then promptly replaced them for the retest with £35 a corner chinese ditch finders. I almost exploded when I heard this. The narrow 4 strips of rubber are the only thing which attach you and your 1.3 tonne lump of metal to the ground why skimp if you are concerned over safety?

So it's not all about ratings etc... keeping on top of maintainence and doing stuff like fitting winter tyres and doing advanced driver courses (IAM etc..) in my view is much more likely to reduce your chances of being seriously injured in a crash.
Reply 7
Original post by initiation
I once had a friend who after being passenger in a serious car crash age 12-13 bought at not inconsiderable expense a 2 year old 5 star rated car with all the latest features. 6 months later MOT failed on tyre wear on all tyres, then promptly replaced them for the retest with £35 a corner chinese ditch finders. I almost exploded when I heard this. The narrow 4 strips of rubber are the only thing which attach you and your 1.3 tonne lump of metal to the ground why skimp if you are concerned over safety?

So it's not all about ratings etc... keeping on top of maintainence and doing stuff like fitting winter tyres and doing advanced driver courses (IAM etc..) in my view is much more likely to reduce your chances of being seriously injured in a crash.
Yeah you're right, I think just having a modern car (one with airbags! :eek: Sorry am ultra paranoid now having been told by police that I would've died without them, + strong roof) that's maintained well along with more driving practice will save me in future.

That's strange about your friend, as if you'd skimp on something so important! I hope he'll be alright. Must've been traumatic to have been involved in a car accident at such a young age. The one I just had was my first and that was still traumatic (although when I was 14 my mum crashed into a car in front of her one morning but it wasn't overly serious (she can't drive :p: )).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Nice.Guy
There's no one car which will be the safest - pretty much all new cars are. Just when looking at cars, check out their NCAP rating to get an idea of their safety. :biggrin:

And Btw, I have to add, that the current Volvo Line up is absolutely stunning. Some of the best looking cars on the road are Volvos :wink:
Ok thanks, I might even get one then. It's just my dad has one and his looks geeky :p: But if it's safe then it's safe, and that's all that matters x
Reply 9
Original post by Nuffles
If you genuinely want a tough vehicle then look at 4x4s with a proper chassis (a ladder frame stretching from bumper to bumper that helps transmit the force of impact down the length of the vehicle) and then fit it with an external roll cage:

Haha I wish I could afford and get myself one of those! :biggrin:

I might just go for a modern Volvo though, due to it's history of safety. Thanks for the post too x
Reply 10
range rover
Reply 11
Original post by Ayshah Pearson
Haha I wish I could afford and get myself one of those! :biggrin:

I might just go for a modern Volvo though, due to it's history of safety. Thanks for the post too x

Depending how old you want to go, Defenders aren't that expensive really. You can pick up a tidy (rust wise) but tatty around the edges mid-90's example for 4-5 grand. I bought my 1990 Defender 110 for £2900 with 180k on the clock in relatively good condition with little rust and an Iveco engine swap. You could probably pick up a used roll cage for £500 or so (Defender roofs are notoriously weak without a cage), but you'd need either the skills or to pay somebody to mount it properly to the chassis. If you were serious you could stick in some bucket seats and 5 point harnesses and then you'd be truly untouchable. The negatives include fuel consumption barely above 30mpg on a good day and 'interesting' driving position (although I personally love it, a lot of people hate it). Positives include cheap insurance and brilliant practicality. I couldn't find something I either couldn't fit inside or get on the roof rack. Mine was a 12 seater too so great for ferrying the mates around.

Also, I've never owned a car with airbags. Dancing with death yo!
(edited 11 years ago)
Something to bear in mind when looking at the Euro NCAP results for a car is that a car which got 5 stars 7 years ago may only get 2 if it was tested again today because they keep tightening the requirements so a 2012 5 star car will be much safer than a 2005 5 star car.
Reply 13
Original post by iwantcheese5
Something to bear in mind when looking at the Euro NCAP results for a car is that a car which got 5 stars 7 years ago may only get 2 if it was tested again today because they keep tightening the requirements so a 2012 5 star car will be much safer than a 2005 5 star car.

But it's worth bearing in mind that newer cars are now scored for things like having a speed limit display/limitation device and seat belt reminders. These don't mean you'll be any safer in an accident.
Original post by FXX
But it's worth bearing in mind that newer cars are now scored for things like having a speed limit display/limitation device and seat belt reminders. These don't mean you'll be any safer in an accident.

The requirements for the impact tests are also higher and anyway the safest car is the one that doesn't crash in the first place!
Reply 15
Original post by Nuffles
Depending how old you want to go, Defenders aren't that expensive really. You can pick up a tidy (rust wise) but tatty around the edges mid-90's example for 4-5 grand. I bought my 1990 Defender 110 for £2900 with 180k on the clock in relatively good condition with little rust and an Iveco engine swap. You could probably pick up a used roll cage for £500 or so (Defender roofs are notoriously weak without a cage), but you'd need either the skills or to pay somebody to mount it properly to the chassis. If you were serious you could stick in some bucket seats and 5 point harnesses and then you'd be truly untouchable. The negatives include fuel consumption barely above 30mpg on a good day and 'interesting' driving position (although I personally love it, a lot of people hate it). Positives include cheap insurance and brilliant practicality. I couldn't find something I either couldn't fit inside or get on the roof rack. Mine was a 12 seater too so great for ferrying the mates around.

Also, I've never owned a car with airbags. Dancing with death yo!

Pretty much! :wink:

And Volvo it is after talking to everyone lol, I'm going car shopping today at lunch and after work so will look at some newer ones that are on the market (which look better than the older ones!) x
Reply 16
Original post by iwantcheese5
The requirements for the impact tests are also higher and anyway the safest car is the one that doesn't crash in the first place!
Everyone says that, and I definitely see your point of view, but you never know what could happen! :wink: Sometimes other people could crash into you, but that said I did a couple more lessons this week and learnt a bit of defensive driving, where you expect other people to make mistakes increasing your awareness of hazards. Well worth it! Plus I now know all these give way rules by heart: http://www.raa.com.au/driving_giveway.asp?TerID=360 :biggrin:
I used to drive a Volvo 240 estate which had been in my family for years. In the time we had it (12 years I believe) it was rolled four times and crashed eight, and each time anyone that was in it came out totally unharmed. No airbags, no crumple zones, just volvo, the car equivalent of a Nokia :tongue:

Now I have a Mazda Bongo van, which is less safe, but can never get up to a high enough speed to do serious damage to itself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
I used to drive a Volvo 240 estate which had been in my family for years. In the time we had it (12 years I believe) it was rolled four times and crashed eight, and each time anyone that was in it came out totally unharmed. No airbags, no crumple zones, just volvo. :tongue:

Now I have a Mazda Bongo van, which is less safe, but can never get up to a high enough speed to do serious damage to itself.

Hi hun, thanks for taking the time to write that post and your family car sounds amazing! :biggrin: But no airbags! :eek: I'm too scared to get a car with no airbags :frown:

Also with my car accident, there was no problem with speed, I was travelling well under the speed limit, it was just a momentary lapse in concentration. Saying that though, I might get a car with cruise control too. Adding that to my check list! x
Reply 19
Original post by Nuffles
I don't think it would fair well in a side impact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending