The Student Room Group

How do you feel when someone replies late randomly?

I have this really bad habit with people on things like Facebook chat, Whatsapp, a Facebook comment, post, tweet, whatever form of social interaction it is. I just completely and utterly have this supernatural force working that makes me forget to reply even if I really wanted to. I'm not saying I'd randomly reply late in a conversation where we're speaking constantly but say the messages are more longer messages - there's a short interval between the two. I might start to write a message, then just completely forget to finish it and don't realise. I end up replying super late and I really hate it because I really don't want the person to think they bore me.

It happens also when someone messages me first - I might see the message but forget completely to reply. It's even worse nowadays with most forms of social interaction telling you if the other person has seen your message. I'd reply late and I really don't want the other person to get annoyed at me.

I just wanted to know, how do you feel when someone does this to you? When they reply perfectly normally but their replies might be like how I described. Also, do you ever do this?

Edit:

Thought I'd give an actual example. I'd be having a conversation with someone with a message every few or so hours then I'd forget to reply then send a message days later. Would that piss you off?
(edited 11 years ago)
Life happens, messages are secondary to that so I would always expect some delay or irregularity in response time, its no biggie.
Reply 2
Original post by Double Agent
Life happens, messages are secondary to that so I would always expect some delay or irregularity in response time, its no biggie.

Someone who consistently has a habit of replying late, would you just give up starting a conversation with them?
Reply 3
Original post by OneGoodReason
I hate it when guys, close friends, or close family remembers (since those are the people that matter) take ages to reply. A quick text takes hardly any time at all to send and anything else is thoughtless.

N'yeh there was a guy who I hit it off with a few weeks ago, things were going well, then he didn't reply to my text for something like a whole 13 hours. At which point I was like, since I can do better than you, I'm not wasting any more time on you. And i didn't.

Equally, there was another guy I texted on Sunday. It wasnt a text where you needed a reply, it was a non-repliable text, but still I conclude that if a guy liked you, he would actually reply to your text as he would want to communicate you regardless of whether your text illicited a response. He just didnt respond. From which I concluded he didn't like me. At which point I moved on.

So yeah, replies always matter to me if they are from someone important to me

I agree with you. Especially maddening is when you see said person in real life and they are constantly on their phone. So wtf does it take them hours to reply to my texts?
I always take ages to reply. It's awful. But my friends just know it's me being me so they expect it. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I always take ages to reply. It's awful. But my friends just know it's me being me so they expect it. :biggrin:

That's exactly how it is for me haha, but I always feel bad because it's completely unintentional.
Reply 6
If it is something important or time sensitive and I don't receive an answer than i'll just call.

It does get tiring when people just stop in the middle of a conversation though, but like what others have been saying eventually the people you do this to get used to it; everyone ends up getting a different amount of lee-way or expected response time.
Reply 7
Original post by Sadian
Someone who consistently has a habit of replying late, would you just give up starting a conversation with them?

Why would you even want to have a whole conversation by text?!
same,its an annoying habit, think my ex dumped me cos of this :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by cactussed
Why would you even want to have a whole conversation by text?!

Why on earth not?

Original post by hasan4life
same,its an annoying habit, think my ex dumped me cos of this :frown:

I probably developed it because of mine haha, I ended up distancing from my other friends unfortunately and didn't talk much to others back then, let alone need to reply. Now I'm single and back to normal, but with this terrible habit.
If I know they are like that then it doesn't bother me (unless of course, it is something important I'm trying to discuss with them lol), but if its someone who I've not messaged before then it does make me think that they don't wanna talk to me :frown:
Original post by Sadian
Why on earth not?

a) It's tedious. If like you say you don't respond quickly, then you're basically just sending a message to each other at random intervals. Nothing beats a face to face conversation, even if it's over Skype.

b) MONEY. On Vodafone it's 25p per text!? It would cost £10 to have a half-decent conversation....
I'm pretty much exactly like this. I just don't like texting, I'm OK on facebook and stuff. I've told all my friends not to bother texting me and they're pretty much cool with it. I talk to them in real life or fb messenger instead.
Reply 13
I do the same thing as you haha.. so if someone does it to me I understand :smile:
Reply 14
dont worry. they will get used to it. n at the end, you will be the last person they will contact or share or remember for everything. that's how i feel now for my bf
Reply 15
I'd be quite offended or just confused if someone replied really late. Then again... most people I just don't bother replying to unless I absolutely have to, especially random acquaintances on facebook...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending