The Student Room Group

Few general tips for my 1st date tomorrow?

I just can't **** this up because the girl is absolutely beautiful with a stunning personality. I've had dates before and been fine, but I have a mixture of excitement and nerves about this one. My whole mentality has changed and I feel a lot more mature. Dates in the past I've just felt were a formal way of making out I like a girl, before getting to sex her regular.

But with the girl I'm seeing tomorrow I haven't even thought about sex with her. Is that normal for a lad? All I've thought about is getting this 1st date out the way, then being able to do couple things like cuddling up an watching a movie, attempting to cook her a romantic dinner, day trips out, buying her flowers etc.

Should I dress really smart, should I dress casual? Should I pay for her? We're going to see a film she really wants to see, then I'm treating her to a meal after. Do I keep it student-like and go Nandos, or do I think out the box a bit?
It sounds to me like you see her a lot more romantically than the others you went out on a date with, which is a good thing.

Obviously how you dress depends on where you're planning on going. Wearing a jacket and tie to Nando's is a bit... odd. But not so much if you're going somewhere posher. What is the girl like? Is she a relaxed-atmosphere kind of girl, or someone who you think would appreciate going out to somewhere a bit more upmarket? You know her better than we do! I always think a nice pair of jeans, smart shirt and jacket goes down well and would be suitable for anywhere but the most expensive places.

As for paying for her, since you were the one to ask her out, I think you should at least offer to pay for the entirety of the meal or the cinema tickets. Before anyone jumps on me, I don't think that because you're the male; I think it because you asked her out on the date. I would apply the same principle to myself if I asked a guy out on a date. So maybe split the cinema tickets and pay for the meal. I imagine (if she's at all decent) she will offer her half both times.
I'm not saying get drunk but maybe one shot of something beforehand could loosen you up a bit.
Reply 3
Dress casual but not like a slob, nice pair. Student-like meal would be a good idea. Best to keep things quite informal, I think going to a posh place would be a bit awkward for a first date. Take her fancier places in the future.

Dress sense:
http://www.mrporter.com/journal/journal_issue51/1#7
There's a bit about how to dress for a cinema date.
Reply 4
I think I'll go for the smart casual look. She always dresses well, but often looks quite casual aswell. She pulls off anything she wears. I think I'll wear a smart polo top and jeans/chinos with desert boots. They're smart and casual.

Student-like meal does sound best when you say it will be awkward at a posh place. I'll probably stick to something like Nando's, or TGI Fridays.

Ill definitely offer to pay too. I'm hoping she doesn't just expect it though, that'll put me off her a bit. She's knows my family a pretty well off. Girls in the past have just expected me to pay for them all the time before. I think this girl is a lot different though.

I might take your shot advice too and have 1 or 2 vodka shots!

Quick Reply

Latest