The Student Room Group

Applying To Universities Directly?...

Evening All, And so my worries about getting to university have hit me at 2 am on a Wednesday morning, joy of joys.I am a prospective Natural Sciences student for the admission year September 2013, but as of yet have not been lucky enough to receive any university offers from my chosen institutions. Being realistic and open minded this is undoubtedly down to a reasonable (good but nothing to write home about) set of A/S results. So my big question if UCAS track doesn't pop up with the magical word 'Conditional' is that...Is it possible to apply to universities directly (ie not through UCAS)?. I am aware of UCAS Extra but thinking of this as a side plot, if it comes to it, in order to escape the potential disaster of Clearing.If anyone knows the answer to my 'Apply Direct To Uni' question or has any advice or is in the same pickle, i would love to hear from you :smile:. Regards, ED. :smile:.
Reply 1
Normally, you can only apply directly to a uni if it's for a part-time course and maybe some Foundation degrees.
Original post by ellisday26
Evening All, And so my worries about getting to university have hit me at 2 am on a Wednesday morning, joy of joys.I am a prospective Natural Sciences student for the admission year September 2013, but as of yet have not been lucky enough to receive any university offers from my chosen institutions. Being realistic and open minded this is undoubtedly down to a reasonable (good but nothing to write home about) set of A/S results. So my big question if UCAS track doesn't pop up with the magical word 'Conditional' is that...Is it possible to apply to universities directly (ie not through UCAS)?. I am aware of UCAS Extra but thinking of this as a side plot, if it comes to it, in order to escape the potential disaster of Clearing.If anyone knows the answer to my 'Apply Direct To Uni' question or has any advice or is in the same pickle, i would love to hear from you :smile:. Regards, ED. :smile:.

There are two answers to this.

Firstly, there are thousands of students every year who get full time degree offers (all part-timers apply directly to the university) outside of UCAS. In 2010 there were 23,015 of these and in 2011, 15,432.

However, virtually all of them will be non-traditional applicants in one way or another. If Poppleton University sends an agent out to India to recruit students to its course in Pure and Applied Hogwash, it isn't going to want the students it finds to apply through UCAS,they might go somewhere else. Therefore it takes them as direct applicants.

Virtually all universities will not take direct applications from conventional applicants. After all that is why the universities created UCAS and its predecessors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending