The Student Room Group

How do I stop thinking I'm beautiful??

Anon please or delete

I know this is a strange question, during my early teen years I was bullied and got called ugly.

I was so insecure, then all of a sudden when I was 16, I began to look alright. To try to boost my confidence, I always looked at my good features, which for me and everyone that complimented me for were my hair, my eyes, my legs, my hands, and my body shape.

But now I feel like I'm full of myself, like I don't act like it but I do check myself out when I look in the mirror and if any guys check me out, I really like it and it boosts my confidence up.

I always think I'm beautiful, when I'm around on getting on my period. like for instance when I wake up and look in the mirror, I surprise myself on how good I look. See what I mean - I sound really selfish right?

But when I'm with people I'm always insecure and feel like the ugliest thing ever, all my friends would compliment me and even if a guy looks, I feel like he's wondering "why is so ugly?".

But the moment I get home, I check myself in the mirror and I look fine.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, am I full of myself? :frown:

sorry if this is the wrong section!! I can't find the anon thing elsewhere!
Reply 1
You don't sound full of yourself at all :smile:
I think almost all girls (who don't have a real confidence problem) look in the mirror and think, "Yep, I look good today!" :smile:
There's definitely nothing at all wrong with that and you should be glad that you have that confidence, not dismiss it!
A lot of people say there's 'too much pressure to be skinny and to look good all the time', which I agree with. But I think sometimes this makes out that it's wrong to be happy with how you look.
I know I look rough sometimes, but the majority of the time I think I look pretty, I'm just a normal girl but I know that having that self confidence makes it easier for other people to like and appreciate you.
ALL my girl AND boy friends tell me how ANNOYING they find it when girls say stuff like 'I'm so ugly!' or 'I'm fat!'
It's so good to hear you're happy with how you look, OWN IT! :wink: hehe!x
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please or delete

I know this is a strange question, during my early teen years I was bullied and got called ugly.

I was so insecure, then all of a sudden when I was 16, I began to look alright. To try to boost my confidence, I always looked at my good features, which for me and everyone that complimented me for were my hair, my eyes, my legs, my hands, and my body shape.

But now I feel like I'm full of myself, like I don't act like it but I do check myself out when I look in the mirror and if any guys check me out, I really like it and it boosts my confidence up.

I always think I'm beautiful, when I'm around on getting on my period. like for instance when I wake up and look in the mirror, I surprise myself on how good I look. See what I mean - I sound really selfish right?

But when I'm with people I'm always insecure and feel like the ugliest thing ever, all my friends would compliment me and even if a guy looks, I feel like he's wondering "why is so ugly?".

But the moment I get home, I check myself in the mirror and I look fine.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, am I full of myself? :frown:

sorry if this is the wrong section!! I can't find the anon thing elsewhere!

As al-pal said, you don't sound full of yourself!

And I completly understand you because I used to be like you. When I was younger, like between my 10s and 15s I was a bit overweight (and I am quite tall for being a girl) so I used to get these looks, my confidence was very low and blah blah. Then after I turned 15 I suddenly started getting slimmer, now I am on my weight, my face changed a lot and now... I feel very, very comfortable with how I look like. When I look myself in the mirror I smile because I like myself, but that doesn't mean that you are full of yourself. Not as long as you don't behave in the "IamsodamnprettyandIknowit" way. I am pretty shy myself when it comes to these compliments from people, it's like... okay, I like how I look like but it really makes me blush when someone says it! I feel like crawling into a hole and hiding.

This doesn't mean that this is the way you should feel, is just the way I feel. I am comfortable with my body and how I look like, you feel the same with yours and yourself, and it's a good thing! as long as you don't brag about it. So yeah, just as we were saying... you are not full of yourself, don't worry =) I wish everyone would feel happy and comfortable about how they look like, but not everybody does. Apparently you are one of the lucky ones! but don't let it go to your head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending