The Student Room Group

Dropped out, depressed, in debt and broke :(

Basically i dropped out of uni last year. It was a resit year as I failed some of the modules the year previous however when i attempted to redo the year i became depressed and couldn't carry on with the course.
I didnt tell anyone, not even student finance because i was using the money to pay for rent etc and used to pretend to carry on going everyday because i didnt know what else to do.
I never thought about my student finance and thought i would have to pay it back when i was earning over £15k a year like if i graduated however i ended up with a letter at the end of the year saying they were informed about my drop out and i had to pay back the years finance asap

I arranged to pay £10 a month for 3 months hoping i could find a better job however i'm still stuck with my p/t sales assistant job that isnt paying much at all (i'm on a 4 hour a week contract and getting as much overtime as i can but it's still only just under £100 wages a month). I already have a phone bill debt to pay, another £400 student debt that i pay £10 a month on as well as trying to pay for food, bills and my student credit card+overdraft which i maxed out.

I had another letter saying i need to arrange payment Asap and i dont know what to do. The thought of ringing them again makes me feel sick because i cant afford to pay

I was looking at graduate loans and personal bank loans but i cant pay £100+ a month for any of them so i have no hope of getting one of them and wiping this debt.

I feel stuck and i dont know what to do. I live away from home and my family dont know anything.
Does anyone know i there are any loans or anything for this sort of situation?
Sorry for the rant, if anyone has any advice i would appreciate it.x
Reply 1
Can you not talk to your family? They might be really supportive (though expect a little shock) and could offer you to move back home to help with rent & bills. It's not ideal but will help you temporarily.
The other thing is to phone student finance and explain. They can't force you to pay if you have no money but you need to be sensible and keep them informed of what you're doing.

Sorry you're going through such rough time - it seems horrible but facing the, and knowing what's going on is a lot better than hiding from it all.

Also, are you entitled to income support or anything?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending