The Student Room Group

My report

I am fairly new to year 10 (started in September). My grades have dropped quite a lot. I am starting to struggle in subjects I have always excelled in. The highest level is 5. These are the results I got for my Autumn report:

DA Biology- Effort in Class=5 - Average grade=59%
DA Chemistry- Effort in Class=5 - Average grade= 72%
DA Physics - Effort in Class=5 - Average grade= 82%
English Lang - Effort in Class=4 - Average grade=87%
English Lit - Effort in Class=5 - Average grade= 90%
History - Effort in Class= 3 - Average grade = 68%
Maths - Effort in Class=4 - Average grade=58%

My parents think these are bad. I don't think they are great but what do you guys think? Also I am finding History and Biology quite hard, any tips? I am doing a lot better in maths now; I think my average grade could be 70-80% when I get my new report which will be in a few weeks.
Well, I wouldn't worry too much. You still have two years to bring any grades you're worried about up. I know it's hard but don't put unneccessary pressure on yourself. At the begining of year 10 I had a D in Spanish (yeah...) by the end I was at an A, on target to an A* for my GCSE. It took work, I probably focused most on Spanish to bring it up. So for history, it's a combo of knowledge & technique, you're probably falling down in technique, it's probably the more difficult one. 3 words. TALK TO TEACHER. They can advise you on how to improve, it can be a massive help.

For biology, it's almost purely memory. Maybe try and go over your notes after each lesson and as always, talk to your teacher, they might be able to help.

As for your parents, I don't know them but I'd suggest letting them know you are going to try and improve and not too worry to much (only if they'll react well, once again, I don't know them).

Hope this all helps. Feel free to reply or PM me for more help.

:smile:
I felt the same, I was so good in History in Year 9 but then when I started Year 10 it just dropped so much, kept getting Fs and Ds, made me regret choosing it.
I think you just have to talk to your teacher a lot and practise exam questions, that helped me and I'm now getting Cs. Well, I'm still disappointed though because I thought I could get B or A, but I gave up, and I'm trying my hardest to keep my C.

Are you doing History of Medicine?

Just be honest with your parents and say that you're struggling but you'll do your best and it will get better.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LiviL97
I am fairly new to year 10 (started in September). My grades have dropped quite a lot. I am starting to struggle in subjects I have always excelled in. The highest level is 5. These are the results I got for my Autumn report:

DA Biology- Effort in Class=5 - Average grade=59%
DA Chemistry- Effort in Class=5 - Average grade= 72%
DA Physics - Effort in Class=5 - Average grade= 82%
English Lang - Effort in Class=4 - Average grade=87%
English Lit - Effort in Class=5 - Average grade= 90%
History - Effort in Class= 3 - Average grade = 68%
Maths - Effort in Class=4 - Average grade=58%

My parents think these are bad. I don't think they are great but what do you guys think? Also I am finding History and Biology quite hard, any tips? I am doing a lot better in maths now; I think my average grade could be 70-80% when I get my new report which will be in a few weeks.

hi...dont worry!! when i was in yr 9 my predicted grades were Bs for all my subjects except for science which was a C..now im in yr 11 i get all A's and A*'s and i do best in science subjects getting A*'s, u just started year 10, just wait until u learn more of the course!!
hey:smile: I'm doing double award sciences too! Physics is the worsttt for me, though you seem to have nothing to worry about for that, or for english lang+lit! As regards chemistry, it's pretty much try and memorise it all, same with biology... but ofc you'd need to understand what you're learning...we're doing polymerisation at the moment, and i'm just like,"wth is this."
You have a good set of grades there, and with maths, it's just a matter of practising questions over and over again until the method is drilled into your brain, and with history, there's bound to be some stuff you will find so boring that you just cba trying to learn it, because it's so dull (that was me with the world wars) but you've only just started year 10, so you still have more than a year and a half to perfect your skills and learning, so I wouldn't worry about your first report - it's the start of the year, and you're just beginning to grapple with all the new concepts! Keep working at it though, it's not going to be easy+ tell us how you do in your next report, good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending