The Student Room Group

Secretary General Election

Hey all,
The deadline has passed, these two people have submitted manifesto's in the aim to be come the next Secretary General of the TSR Model United Nations:

RoryS I joined TSR in April of this year and stumbled across the vibrant communities of the MUN and MHoC. Ever since joining them, it's been a real learning curve. I've learnt so much about the operations of Parliament and the United Nations as well as gaining great knowledge on some of the international issues that face our world today.

My knowledge of the world is pretty sound, I know about most things but am not so good with the conflicts the world faces. I'm sure if I was to become Secretary General, my knowledge would be furthered.

If was to be elected, by you, yes you, the voter I would successfully be able to do these things:
Complete the daily administration tasks of the MUN
Have a good relationship with MUN representatives
Deal with any conflicts that may arise within the community
Invest time and energy into increasing the activity of the ModelUN Twitter Account
Post interesting news stories for MUN reps to vote on
Generally, make the MUN the place to be.

I would attempt at these things:
Talking to the Administrators about the creation of a chatbox for debates, hypes etc
Dramatically increase the activity of MUN representatives (continuing where T_C left off and more)
Establish further links with the Model House of Commons if the current government agree to this.
Invest time into making groups such as the blocs and Arab League, more active and dominant.

So, if you want these things, and hopefully more (feel free to ask in the Q&A session), a vote for RoryS is the way to go. Thank you.

Birchington
Who am I?

I’m currently deputy Secretary General, with over 4 years of MUN experience in many different roles.

What I hope to achieve, with your vote:

Open the MUN to the rest of TSR:
●Referendums on global issues and resolutions
●Integration with ‘International’ threads
●Engage non-participants by linking to other forums
●Improve MUN’s democratic role invite non-members to suggest hype topics
●Target students interested in IR/law and invite them to join

Better communications:
●Regular PMs
●A ‘help thread’ with advice on where to start/how to write resolutions etc.
●Advertise major events/threads with TSR-wide announcements
●Continue to promote the MUN via social media regular Tweets

A reformed Charter:
●Simplified
●More accessible to new members

Improve the MUN for existing members:
●Rotating elections for membership of non-permanent SC positions opening the SC to all MUN members
●Better outline and reform NGO positions to avoid irrelevance

General admin updates:

●Overhaul the wiki and usergroup
●A list of key info eg. Treaties in a single location
●Continuing regular checks on absent members and removal of long-term absentees, started by T_C.

Vote Birchington for Secretary General

RoryS
QFA

Birchington
QFA

There will now be a period for Q&A (Questions and Answers) for 48 hours!

Best of luck to the candidates.

Begin!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Question to both candidates:

If you were a biscuit, what one would you be and why?
Reply 2
How do you feel activity can be increased?
Are there any ways in which you would like to see the MUNs operation be changed?
Would you support ways to increase position papers in the MUN and how would you go about this?
Do you have any ideas for summits or hypothetically you would like to start?
How can resolution numbers be increased?

RoryS
Does 'Post interesting news stories for MUN reps to vote on' mean you would allow voting on stories rather than just on resolution? Dont you feel this would reduce the amount of resolutions?
You say you want to 'Dramatically increase the activity of MUN representative'. Could you expand on this idea and detail how you would like the role to change?

Birchington
you say you want to introduce 'Referendums on global issues and resolutions', how would these activities impact on the MUN and how would they fit into the model framework?
How would you advertise major events outside of the MUN?

I think that's all for now.
Original post by zaliack

You win the award for the most important and most impressive question of all time. :cool:
It's the sort of question Paddy would ask.
Rorys- You seem to focus on integrating the MUN and the MHOC a lot more, do you believe this is a desirable idea for most members of the MUN? A lot of members would prefer to keep the two separate?

Birchington- How would you improve the flailing activity within the MUN? And leading on from tehFrance, do you not believe you hold too many time-consuming positions to be able to benefit the problem of inactivity which will surely only increase without an active SG?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Birchington, after delays in MHoC Ad Hoc and poor running of the recent hype, are you sure you can handle being SG? it takes a lot more time than the two above do and I feel you don't have the time thus you would let the MUN fall to the way side.
Reply 6
Best of luck to both; you have big shoes to fill.

<3 x
Reply 7
Original post by zaliack

I would be a chocolate digestive - irresistible and good looking :tongue:

Original post by DayneD89
How do you feel activity can be increased?
Are there any ways in which you would like to see the MUNs operation be changed?
Would you support ways to increase position papers in the MUN and how would you go about this?

RoryS
Does 'Post interesting news stories for MUN reps to vote on' mean you would allow voting on stories rather than just on resolution? Dont you feel this would reduce the amount of resolutions?
You say you want to 'Dramatically increase the activity of MUN representative'. Could you expand on this idea and detail how you would like the role to change?

Q1: I think activity is the major issue in the MUN and I think T_C has done remarkably well to already start tackling this. I think activity can be increased in a huge amount, I would continue T_C's work of removing inactive members. I would try to contact inactive members in important positions by PM, email and any other forms of communication. I would also try to stimulate activity generally within the forums by posting interesting news topics for debate and would recruit new more active members through the ModelUN Twitter account.

Q2: I think the basic operations of the MUN currently works well - I would attempt to make communications/operations better by having more regular communication with the individual groups within the MUN and make them have a more dominant role within the community.

Q3: I think position papers are a good way of creating debate and activity so an increase in the publication of them would be beneficial as part of my plan to make the MUN more active. I would go about this by encouraging MUN Representatives to run away with their viewpoints and ideas and actually not be afraid to share their views on international matters. I would also encourage members within the news topics to write a position paper on issues they feel most passionate about. If I have the time, I'd like to have a dialogue with each active MUN member and ask them to write a position paper about an issue and publish it.

Q4: My first key development with summits is to encourage the TSR Admins to create a chatbox for us to turn on/off for summits and debates. I think summits could be held about any matter that feels most important to MUN members. I'd just facilitate the summits, but ultimately, I personally think its up to MUN members to decide what they need to meet and talk about.

Q5: Err, good question. I think it's the same kind of idea as position papers - I need to have a constant dialogue with active representatives and encourage them to move with the news and create resolutions in direct relation the issues affecting the world at this very minute.

Q6: Sorry, that was dodgy rushed wording. I meant that I'd be continuing where T_C left off with posting up interesting news stories so people can debate issues and discuss them. I wouldn't get people voting on these news topics but would definitely encourage people to think about writing a resolution relating to these stories.

Q7: I think this links back to all the other points I've made about activity. I think we should be, if possible, more selective about who we choose as MUN Representatives and should make sure they are committed to their roles before they get the opportunity to start working within the MUN. I think MUN Reps should get more help and guidance as maybe new members are put off by the concept of the MUN if they don't understand how things work perhaps. So maybe a updated newbie guide to the MUN is in order as well as a Help thread for those who needs answers on issues.

Original post by Cheese_Monster
Rorys- You seem to focus on integrating the MUN and the MHOC a lot more, do you believe this is a desirable idea for most members of the MUN? A lot of members would prefer to keep the two separate?

Birchington- How would you improve the flailing activity within the MUN?

It's ultimately up to the MUN Members - I personally think our relationship with the MHoC is important, but others think differently. I'd be happy to support what the MUN Members want to support and would assist them with this in anyway I can.

Original post by tehFrance
Birchington, after delays in MHoC Ad Hoc and poor running of the recent hype, are you sure you can handle being SG? it takes a lot more time than the two above do and I feel you don't have the time thus you would let the MUN fall to the way side.

A fair point.

Original post by LETSJaM
Best of luck to both; you have big shoes to fill.

<3 x

Thank you for your kind words :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by RoryS
I would be a chocolate digestive - irresistible and good looking :tongue:

But, aren't chocolate digestives the most common biscuit, a bit plain, and only good when they come in multiples, with a side serving of coffee?
Reply 9
Original post by zaliack
But, aren't chocolate digestives the most common biscuit, a bit plain, and only good when they come in multiples, with a side serving of coffee?

You might think that, I don't :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by RoryS
You might think that, I don't :tongue:

But you can't deny that they are the most common of biscuits, and there is a dramatic difference between value digestives and McVities caramel chocolate digestives.
Reply 11
OOC: Good luck to both. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Mazzini
OOC: Good luck to both. :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 13
Birchington
X

How can we trust you with the MUN if over 36 hours into a 48 hour Q&A session you have yet to post or answer any questions?
Good luck to you both aswell :smile:
Reply 15
How can we trust you with the MUN if over 36 hours into a 48 hour Q&A session you have yet to post or answer any questions?

:lol:

I'm on TSR every day practically and do let people know when I'm going to be away on holiday or short breaks (which isn't very often!)

Original post by Miracle Day
Good luck to you both aswell :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by RoryS

I'm on TSR every day practically and do let people know when I'm going to be away on holiday or short breaks (which isn't very often!)

I'm far too addicted to this site. For about a year my post per day average was over 40. Even with a few months of being away at different periods due to RL problems I've got a PPD of 11.73. The vast majority of my posts are in the MUN of MHoC though.
Reply 17

To get an active MUN, our SG must be inactive :cool:
Reply 18
I'm far too addicted to this site. For about a year my post per day average was over 40. Even with a few months of being away at different periods due to RL problems I've got a PPD of 11.73. The vast majority of my posts are in the MUN of MHoC though.

Me too - I wouldn't say I'm addicted but it's probably the second thing I do when I get onto the computer after checking my emails :tongue: Most of my posts are in the MHoC than the MUN but that can easily change. :smile:

Original post by zaliack
To get an active MUN, our SG must be inactive :cool:

Good plan!
How do you feel activity can be increased?I feel we need go back to basics - let's make people aware the MUN exists by improving links to other forums, advertise available positions beyond the MUN and simplify the place for beginners. Activity is dependent on several different factors, but I feel the reason for the MUN's current low activity is both that people are not aware we exist and that it can be uninteresting for new members.
I feel its discussion of topical issues is still worth maintaining, but I would like to expand discussions beyond just commenting/critique - I hope to facilitate regular resolutions and political action to give this place a purpose beyond a discussion chamber.
I think position papers could be useful in stimulating debate and giving representatives more purpose. I would provide help on position papers within the 'help thread' I have proposed, as they are currently unused and sidelined.
I think we could have a summit on a successor to Kyoto, and also possibly a discussion on how to assist with Syria. My main source of hype ideas would be regular members, but I'd like to see a hype on some form of environmental disaster as that could provoke interesting discussion.
Primarily, by simplifying the writing guide to ensure all members know what resolutions are and how to write them. Hopefully that will stimulate more proposals.

You say you want to introduce 'Referendums on global issues and resolutions', how would these activities impact on the MUN and how would they fit into the model framework?

How would you advertise major events outside of the MUN?

I think that's all for now.
I think referendums could be held in the International thread (in a similar vein to the HOC's referendums in a main forum). The MUN could propose a treaty on a major issue i.e. Kyoto, for example, and then this proposal could be submitted as a referendum for non-members. It's only a rough idea right now but I feel it's a good way to promote the MUN and attract new members/participation between the forums.

To advertise major events eg. hypes/referendums etc., I'd primarily like to have more announcements in the shoutbox as is the standard during HOC elections/referendums. Sticky threads could also be used in the International forum as well as Twitter. To raise activity, we need to advertise the MUN to the wider site and provide reasons for people to get involved.

I'm very sorry for the delay in posting responses. I had a powercut for most of yesterday that took out my laptop and phone. I'm hopeful that you'll realise from previous dealings with me that 99% of the time I respond quickly and contribute regularly. It was unfortunate timing and not what I wanted.

Latest

Trending

Trending