The Student Room Group

family income drastically reduced within uni year

What happens with student finance if your parents income suddenly changes (by thousands) half way through the year? either through redundancy, retirement or even death of the main earner ! ???

Is it just tough and you have to wait until the start of next year to get any extra money? And then do it based on current income rather than last years as most of the last years will have the higher amount.

My dad will be retiring in the March of my second year at uni. This will lower the household income by several thousand pounds, and definately enough to move us by at least least one of the bracket as we're only just in the one that we're in now.
Reply 1
Original post by anony.mouse
What happens with student finance if your parents income suddenly changes (by thousands) half way through the year? either through redundancy, retirement or even death of the main earner ! ???

Is it just tough and you have to wait until the start of next year to get any extra money? And then do it based on current income rather than last years as most of the last years will have the higher amount.

My dad will be retiring in the March of my second year at uni. This will lower the household income by several thousand pounds, and definately enough to move us by at least least one of the bracket as we're only just in the one that we're in now.

This happened to me, and I think you would have to wait until the end of the year before anything changes.
There's no harm in ringing SF to see what they suggest.

My family didn't give me money for uni so it didn't affect me very much.
Reply 2
There is something about if there's a change of 15%, then you can fill in a change of circumstance form.
Reply 3
You can apply at any time during the year for a current year income if your household income has decreased by 15% or more
uni hardship fund is probably the best place to look if SF won't help
Reply 5
Ta, I'd rep you but some idiots negged me and now I'm in the red.

We're not entirely sure how much it'll go down by but I'll look into it next year and then contact SFE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending