The Student Room Group

want to go to uni but don't know where to start

Hi, I am currently looking to eventually get a PhD in computer sciences in the long run if it's possible but for now I'm struggling with the basic stuff.

I left school at 16 and did a full advanced apprenticeship in IT and got my level 3s and several IT vendor qualifications from Microsoft.
I've been working as an IT networks technician full time since.

due to courses asking for a levels as requirements and after spending quite some time researching online now I am honestly getting baffled.

I would like to do a computer sciences course and maybe ethical hacking but do not want to spend money applying for it via ucas when it asks for a levels when I don't have them. I believe I am fairly well qualified in IT and have quite a bit of knowledge and experienced behind me but as I have left home and currently pay bills at 19. I would not be able to go back to college as I wouldn't get funding for that as far as I am aware.

if anyone here could give me any advice on where I could find information I require or has any input I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I don't know much about computing but it sounds like you already have a lot of experience. Contact the unis directly to ask them whether they would accept you as it is. If not, look into an Access course. They're one year part time courses for working people to get them into uni.

Either way, A-levels are definitely not the only way into uni and some unis even prefer people who have real work experience over those with A-levels but no experience.

Good luck!
Reply 2
thanks for your response :smile: i contacted dundee uni last week and sent over copies of all my qualifications and experience today. They said they will look over them with the people that teach the course and let me know if i can be accept

Fingers crossed!
Reply 3
Most universities have other admissions criteria, rather than just A-levels. Your other qualifications and experience will be taken into account, I'm sure. But AFAIK, you still have to apply through UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by dendodge
Most universities have other admissions criteria, rather than just A-levels. Your other qualifications and experience will be taken into account, I'm sure. But AFAIK, you still have to apply through UCAS.

Thats my main issue as im on UCAS apply 2013 right now and i am physically not able to add my qualifications so when its submitted they wont know about my qualifications.

unless they specifically look out for my application since i contacted them
Reply 5
Original post by sean9461
Thats my main issue as im on UCAS apply 2013 right now and i am physically not able to add my qualifications so when its submitted they wont know about my qualifications.

unless they specifically look out for my application since i contacted them

Send them an email, including your UCAS candidate number, detailing your qualifications. Also try and find space for them in your personal statement (unless your referee puts them in your reference).

They should be able to link that email with your application.
Reply 6
Original post by dendodge
Send them an email, including your UCAS candidate number, detailing your qualifications. Also try and find space for them in your personal statement (unless your referee puts them in your reference).

They should be able to link that email with your application.

cheers i will do this. I am not applying until i get a response to my last email though. But as soon as they let me know i stand a chance of acceptance ill reply with the candidate number :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending