The Student Room Group

What happens if you're UNDER the word limit?

Basically my essay is something like 1800. I seriously cannot think of anything else to write whatsoever, but the word count is supposed to be 2500.

Would this affect me or does it not really matter so much as long as it's not over? This is English Lit btw :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
It really varies between markers.
In my experience professors/teachers are lenient +/- 10% of the assigned word count.
It depends on who's marking it. Best bet is to send the examiner an email and ask how flexible the word limit is :smile:
I don't think it should effect you, but you should expect to not get a very high mark.
Reply 4
Original post by Jabberwox
Basically my essay is something like 1800. I seriously cannot think of anything else to write whatsoever, but the word count is supposed to be 2500

Obviously there is more to write if they are expecting 2500 words from every single person. They don't just make the word count up for fun; it's a guideline of how much content and detail to put into the essay. You haven't done enough; write more.
Reply 5
Original post by Plexus
Obviously there is more to write if they are expecting 2500 words from every single person. They don't just make the word count up for fun; it's a guideline of how much content and detail to put into the essay. You haven't done enough; write more.

The deadline is midday today... and I've been up all night.
Reply 6
The deadline is midday today... and I've been up all night.

That doesn't change the facts that you haven't written enough and there's more to be written about. You could do another 4 hours' work.
At my uni you are penalised for going more than 10% over the word limit, but there is no penalty for going under (this may be different at your uni of course). Some people just have a very concise writing style. However, going much under the limit can mean that you haven't answered the question fully and therefore will not get as high a mark as you might want.
Ask them to check.

With shorter essays (possibly yours) it might only be +/- 5%, although +/- 10% is usually more common, especially with longer essays.
Reply 9
That's odd. I always thought it was better to be over than under :confused:
Original post by Pariner
That's odd. I always thought it was better to be over than under :confused:

only true with fat lasses, mate.
At my uni, the rule is 10% either way, so for your essay, you'd have to do between 2250 and 2750 words. Yours may be different though.
Reply 12
Basically my essay is something like 1800. I seriously cannot think of anything else to write whatsoever, but the word count is supposed to be 2500.

Would this affect me or does it not really matter so much as long as it's not over? This is English Lit btw :smile:

Thanks

Too long = lacks focus.
Too short = lacks detail.

At our uni it is +/- 10% of word limit.
Reply 13
it won't affect you but you won't get a high mark...?????????????????????
Reply 14
I'd fail it. (Really)
bit harsh
Reply 16

Thanks

I'm doing a 2500 word essay in photography and only got around 500 words and can't think of much to write. It's about the dangers of cameras in regards to street photography. Have been writing about how street photography can make places look better/worse than they are and the history behind how street photography was fabricated even before cameras existed. (for example in paintings)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending