The Student Room Group

BBC Top 25 Albums of 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcmusic/2012/12/bbc_music_top_25_albums_of_2012.html

No.1 is Kendrick Lamaar, good kid mAAd City
Ive listened to this thoroughly think its very good, also mention to Frank Ocean with his album Channel ORANGE coming second.
I think those two are for sure the best albums released this year, and shows a rise of new alternative hiphop
However BBC has got a few poor mentions such as Emile Sande who may have a good voice but her album is just full of the generic pop stuff, nothing special. Also Nicki Minaj 15th? Don’t know why she is even on there, her songs are so dreadful, is she a pop or hiphop artist?
im surprised Swans - The Seer isnt in the top 10, loved that album
what are your opinions? any albums you think have been missed off?
Reply 1
Tame Impala and Django Django below Nicki Minaj- what is this?!

Serious lack of Gaslight Anthem too. And The XX.

Other than that, decent, good mix of genres & some new stuff to have a listen to. Agree with TEED and Frank Ocean being placed high, haven't listened to much Kendrick Lamar tbh
Reply 2
No Muse? :curious:

Did I miss something?
Original post by wrexhamfc

Did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed that "The 2nd Law" is an awful album
Reply 4
Original post by jackclarke1995

[video="youtube;pWdd6_ZxX8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]
I enjoyed it.
No 2nd Law, no Apocalyptic Love, what's wrong with this list?
Reply 6
Original post by jackclarke1995

No its not, sure its no OoS and it its a bit bizarre in terms of the flow of the album but its a lot better than the Resistance and I enjoyed it a lot tbh.

Disappointed not to see Lucy Rose or the Maccabees on there though.
Have BBC alway done this?
No Mumford and Sons? Babel was a great album.
Reply 9
Original post by Olie
No its not, sure its no OoS and it its a bit bizarre in terms of the flow of the album but its a lot better than the Resistance and I enjoyed it a lot tbh.

Disappointed not to see Lucy Rose or the Maccabees on there though.

Good shout
Scuba and Phon.o should clearly be there but it's a fairly mainstream list so doesn't surprise me sadly.

It's not a bad list albeit and i think it's bizarre The xx didn't make the list seeing as its this sort of list they should be appearing in. Probably my favourite album of the year. Hot Chip are very unlucky too as their album is excellent, maybe Grimes too.

Got to laugh at people thinking Muse should be there. You might like it but there's little question that they are highly average now.
Reply 11
It's not a bad list, at least 60% of it is wholly justifiable - some good selections in there.

And it's the BBC, they are hardly able to throw in too many curveballs in there, such as Jam City or whatever.
Still they've chosen from a wide selection, mainstream and underground for it so you can't be mad at them for missing a few albums.
My glaring omission is Fiona Apple...

Quite a varied list but seeing as so many DJs contributed that's not so surprising. GKMC is also my album of the year.

Also, what's 'mainstream'? I've realised I'm not really sure what that is at all tbh. Is it different to 'popular'? (not necessarily pop)
Pretty sure it is...is mainstream more about sound? Never really paid attention to the term before, but it seems quite well used on here.
Original post by marqueemoon

Quite a varied list but seeing as so many DJs contributed that's not so surprising. GKMC is also my album of the year.

Also, what's 'mainstream'? I've realised I'm not really sure what that is at all tbh. Is it different to 'popular'? (not necessarily pop)
Pretty sure it is...is mainstream more about sound? Never really paid attention to the term before, but it seems quite well used on here.

I would say mainstream can be used in a few instances. Can mean for the charts or what i meant specifically when i said it is that it is quite an easy sound for everyone to like. I don't think there are any albums that stick out there that are particularly different say Scuba or Phon.o who definitively have albums that should be there but quite easy to see why they didn't make it.
Reply 14
Original post by wrexhamfc

Did I miss something?

Was a terrible album that essentially tried to do too many genres and failed pathetically. I've tried to love it and I'm a big fan of Muse up to BH&R but it's actually quite embarrassing now.

Original post by marqueemoon

Yeah Fiona Apple gets regularly ignored, especially by the more 'down w/ the kids' media like the NME. Shame because it was one of the albums of the year.
Disappointed with the lack of The XX and The Maccabees, glad to see Alt-J up there though
Reply 16
Favourite albums of the year were The XX's and Bat for Lashes' new ones. But I've not heard over half the stuff on the list so I can hardly complain. Got a list of 20ish new artists as a result of that list and people's comments so will get to work on seeing if I like any of it.

Quick Reply

Latest