The Student Room Group

Oxford or Bristol

Hello,

If I get an offer from Oxford I will have a choice between Oxford and Bristol.

Everyone says go to Oxford but I think the history course and Bristol looks better and and also prefer the city.

Any advice?
x
Reply 1
People will inevitably begin saying 'go to the place you feel more comfortable in'. There is some value in doing that, I suppose, but on the other hand you would be prioritising 3 years of comfort over a good headstart in employment prospects for the rest of your life if you went along with this and ended up choosing Bristol. Both are excellent universities, but I would advise you to embrace the opportunities that would be opened up by Oxford over making sure you are happy for 3 years.
Reply 2
You sound like my brother. It's difficult to decide what's important short and long term.

Thanks
Reply 3
What I've gathered from my friends who study essay subjects, and the people that they know at other universities, is that one of the main differences between Ox and somewhere else is how many essays you write during a term. I've been told that at lots of unis you only write a couple/a few essays per term, whereas here I think they typically write at least one a week. Obviously this means more work during term time, however it's done so that when it comes to exams you've already got lots of good, marked essays to revise from. These are generalities but it might be worth checking out; I know it's true for some subjects.

All of the historians that I know here really enjoy it :smile:
Those are both terrific universities. For heaven's sake choose the course you prefer and as well in choosing between these two the mode of teaching you think will better suit you (Oxford's great strength is the tutorial system, but this won't suit everyone).
The first reply has a very good point, but choosing a course that you're not entirely happy with might end up with you becoming demotivated and actually achieving a worse degree grade than if you were at Bristol. Oxford obviously opens up many opportunities but it's definitely not for everyone and Bristol is still a good university.
I made a very similar decision last year, between Oxford and Bristol, so maybe some of my thoughts could help. I thought Bristol's course would suit me much better, and I love the city (largely the nightlife). I chose Oxford mostly because while the module choices aren't as amazing, the tutorial system, pace and general academic environment would make studying them better. I'm glad I chose Oxford. I have really enjoyed parts of the course I didn't think I would, having tutorials is fantastic and while the pace can be a bit much, I don't think I could have worked as well at a slower pace, or indeed in a city with so much other stuff going on that I'd want to be involved in (I don't mean to suggest that Oxford is dead, it's just not the kind of stuff that interests me a lot. I was gonna choose Bristol cuz it's full of hippies).

Definitely don't feel pressurized into choosing either way. You have a while to decide, yet, anyway.
Reply 7
Original post by superhanzzz
Hello,

If I get an offer from Oxford I will have a choice between Oxford and Bristol.

Everyone says go to Oxford but I think the history course and Bristol looks better and and also prefer the city.

Any advice?
x

As cringe worthy as this may sound I would say "Follow your heart."

As I want to study History in 2014 at uni I personally think that both courses look as good as one another as they provide incredible scope and the topics look very interesting but if Bristol's course looks better for you, then that's 1-0 to Bristol.

Next I would think about the town/social life. You want to be somewhere where you feel comfortable, safe and where you will enjoy 3 years of your life so I would suggest taking a day up to each place and just looking around the general town and thinking where you would "fit in" to the cities. Bristol and Oxford are both supposed to be incredible and I've heard Bristol's nightlife is quite epic?

Due to you having to chose between 2 fantastic universities I would say not think about the prestige too much. Bristol is an excellent uni and so is Oxford but don't just go to Oxford for the prestige if your heart isn't set in it because you may end up dropping out and regretting rejecting Bristol.

Good luck with everything! I'm sure you'll choose wisely :smile:
OK don't just let the reputation affect your choice. I have to admit if it was 1 day ago I would say go Oxford straight without thinking, however I went to Cambridge for interview yesterday and the interviewers are really mean and horrible, one of them was staring at me as if I am a total idiot and another simply put his head down all the time and look as if he cba, even if they trying to pretend like that I can't see how that is relaxing and comfortable as described on the invitation letter, also having spent a whole day at the college I feel like people there are completely separated from the rest of the world.

So you need to consider about the living as well not just reputation.
Reply 9
Original post by Jackfinance17
OK don't just let the reputation affect your choice. I have to admit if it was 1 day ago I would say go Oxford straight without thinking, however I went to Cambridge for interview yesterday and the interviewers are really mean and horrible, one of them was staring at me as if I am a total idiot and another simply put his head down all the time and look as if he cba, even if they trying to pretend like that I can't see how that is relaxing and comfortable as described on the invitation letter, also having spent a whole day at the college I feel like people there are completely separated from the rest of the world.

So you need to consider about the living as well not just reputation.

Just to put it out there, before you skew the OP's view: two interviewers in one college at a different university are not representative of 3 years spent at Oxford.
Reply 10
I'd honestly recommend visiting both again, and further researching the two places. Think about what is important to you - accommodation is likely very different indeed, for example. Do you really know that much about either city? TSR can be good for specific questions.
Original post by Babs12123
Just to put it out there, before you skew the OP's view: two interviewers in one college at a different university are not representative of 3 years spent at Oxford.

Everyone will notice that if they are human, what I am trying to say is by using me as an example to make a point - dont let reputation affect Op's choice, and I didn't say there are any similarities between those 2 unis.
Reply 12
Original post by Jackfinance17
Everyone will notice that if they are human, what I am trying to say is by using me as an example to make a point - dont let reputation affect Op's choice, and I didn't say there are any similarities between those 2 unis.

What? If you don't establish that there are any similarities between the two universities then your example is invalid.
Original post by Mellete
What? If you don't establish that there are any similarities between the two universities then your example is invalid.

All I am trying to say is "Do not be affected purely by reputation" by introducing something I experienced. So basically I am trying to say do not just chose Oxford because it's reputable, you need to like the city etc as well. Since Cambridge and Oxford are very reputable, so my point is valid. And you sound like one of my mate, I hope you are not.
Wait till you find out what exactly Oxford say, as that might influence your decision in many different ways. Then you can think about choosing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending