The Student Room Group

Southampton v Cardiff!

Well Ello!

Both universities as for AAB. Southampton want an A in history but Cardiff want a B...

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/humanities/undergraduate/courses/history/v100_ba_history.page

http://coursefinder.cardiff.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/detail/V100.html

There are the two courses web pages for the universities...

I really don't know which one i prefer! HELP!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I noticed from the History offers thread that you have lots of choice - is this question about which to make your firm choice or insurance? If the latter, then Cardiff gives you a bit more margin for error.
Reply 2
In my opinion Southampton looks like it has the far better course. I've met some staff from Southampton's history department and they've been exceptionally good. I was tempted enough by it so that I almost ended up studying History & Philosophy at Southampton through clearing, but didn't in the end because my firm decided to accept me even though I missed my offer. But I would have been happy either way 'cos I liked Southampton's history course so much. I also have some friends studying History there and they say it's great.
Original post by ageshallnot
I noticed from the History offers thread that you have lots of choice - is this question about which to make your firm choice or insurance? If the latter, then Cardiff gives you a bit more margin for error.

Haha, yeah I got offers form all five. And it's between southampton and Cardiff as my firm as I already know that Kent is going to be my insurance....

:biggrin:
Original post by milkytea
In my opinion Southampton looks like it has the far better course. I've met some staff from Southampton's history department and they've been exceptionally good. I was tempted enough by it so that I almost ended up studying History & Philosophy at Southampton through clearing, but didn't in the end because my firm decided to accept me even though I missed my offer. But I would have been happy either way 'cos I liked Southampton's history course so much. I also have some friends studying History there and they say it's great.

Yeah I do think I'm swaying more towards Southampton but I really liked Cardiff as a city.... I guess I just need to have another look around southampton...
Original post by Llewellyn_Jones
Haha, yeah I got offers form all five. And it's between southampton and Cardiff as my firm as I already know that Kent is going to be my insurance....

Kent is a good insurance, but what makes Southampton and Cardiff stand out? Where else did you apply? Was York one of them?
Reply 6
Yeah I do think I'm swaying more towards Southampton but I really liked Cardiff as a city.... I guess I just need to have another look around southampton...

I haven't been to Cardiff, so I can't compare them. But I have lived in Southampton and I'd say that it is a good city. It doesn't lack clubs, pubs, or shops, and the area around the university is very friendly and safe, but it depends what you're looking for really. Location is important, so it definitely would be worth having another look around to see if you like it too.
Original post by ageshallnot
Kent is a good insurance, but what makes Southampton and Cardiff stand out? Where else did you apply? Was York one of them?

I don't know really... Yeah I got an offer from York but only because the school pushed me to put down a AAA university after I persuaded them to predict me AAA to make application for Southampton stronger..:smile:

Prefer the courses at Southampton and Cardiff to the one at York. I really liked the accommodation, the. Campuses and the course at southampton. I just liked how it was on its own little campus. But then I don't know if that was just because I went with four friends and it was a really sunny day and I was in a really good mood. I just need to make sure that I like as much as I think I do.... If that's the case then there is no question that ill pick Southampton....

i just wondered what other people's views were on them :smile:
Original post by milkytea
I haven't been to Cardiff, so I can't compare them. But I have lived in Southampton and I'd say that it is a good city. It doesn't lack clubs, pubs, or shops, and the area around the university is very friendly and safe, but it depends what you're looking for really. Location is important, so it definitely would be worth having another look around to see if you like it too.

Oh, that sounds better :smile: I only really had a chance to look at the uni and the accommodation before I had to go...
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't know really... Yeah I got an offer from York but only because the school pushed me to put down a AAA university after I persuaded them to predict me AAA to make application for Southampton stronger..:smile:

Prefer the courses at Southampton and Cardiff to the one at York. I really liked the accommodation, the. Campuses and the course at southampton. I just liked how it was on its own little campus. But then I don't know if that was just because I went with four friends and it was a really sunny day and I was in a really good mood. I just need to make sure that I like as much as I think I do.... If that's the case then there is no question that ill pick Southampton....

i just wondered what other people's views were on them :smile:

People who view houses on sunny days and love them are often advised to go back and see them again when the weather is rubbish - to make sure they still like their prospective purchase! :smile:
I went and saw Southampton again. It's really pretty but it didn't have as much of a spark as last time. While Southampton is definitely prettier, I don't know if that can justify the fact that it is so much more expensive than Cardiff.

They both have really goo libraries and do well on unistats, but Cardiff does better.

Cardiff's sample lectures were also far far far better and more interesting!

Cardiff continue to give help on studying history throughout the first and second year, while Southampton only have this for the first year but southampton has the French Revolution while Cardiff does not.

They both do Chinese history and the crusades and well as political and social history.

However, Cardiff the History of Psychiatry and Psychology which was a really interesting lecture, as was the civil war social divide.

Ahhhhh! Help!

Reply 11
I know people who do history at Cardiff and they seem to love the course! And Cardiff uni is great in general, has a fantastic union, great student atmosphere and Cardiff is a great city in general. It has so much within such a short distance.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think I've decided on Cardiff. I'll have a few days to mull it over and then I'll change it on UCAS!!!

Original post by pandabird
I know people who do history at Cardiff and they seem to love the course! And Cardiff uni is great in general, has a fantastic union, great student atmosphere and Cardiff is a great city in general. It has so much within such a short distance.

I've only heard good things about Cardiff! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending