The Student Room Group

students of Psychology AND Sociology please :)

Hi TSR,

Im in my first year of college and have picked the following subjects:

AS Level French
AS Level Mathematics
AS Level Business studies

I am dropping Business at the end of the year, resitting Maths and French and picking up Psychology and Sociology, so next year I will be doing:

AS Level French
AS Level Mathematics
AS Level Sociology
AS Level Psychology

I was just wondering what students of both Sociology and Psychology thought about the courses, are they interesting? And do you find doing both subjects help the other e.g. does doing Sociology help you in Psychology

Thanks in advance :smile:
I did both at uni, but i can't really speak for a levels (i did psych at a level).

It really depends what you find interesting, no one can really judge that apart from you, so you can do that yourself (i.e. open some books/internet links on the subjects).

They do go quite well together, although you shouldn't really be using MUCH from sociology in psychology and visa versa, since they have different emphases.
Reply 2
Original post by Oaktree

I was just wondering what students of both Sociology and Psychology thought about the courses, are they interesting? And do you find doing both subjects help the other e.g. does doing Sociology help you in Psychology

I completed my Sociology and Psychology A-Level this summer :smile: I personally think that they linked together really well - for example, when you study crime, you look at the social reasons (e.g. poverty) in Sociology and then the psychological reasons in Psychology (e.g. hormonal imbalances). Sometimes the different explanations overlap, but there are also completely different explanations in each subject. It's really interesting to see different perspectives on the same topic!

Occasionally we look at the same theorists and terms, which is really useful. Also, although the mark schemes are different and the essays need to be written differently, both require good essay-writing skills so doing both should help you to really get good at essays!

I've just answered a similar question here >> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=40518873#post40518873, the OP asked how well Psych and Soc link too. Might be worth checking these answers! Also it's a good idea to look on the online specifications.

Hope this helps!
:smile:
Original post by Oaktree
Hi TSR,

Im in my first year of college and have picked the following subjects:

AS Level French
AS Level Mathematics
AS Level Business studies

I am dropping Business at the end of the year, resitting Maths and French and picking up Psychology and Sociology, so next year I will be doing:

AS Level French
AS Level Mathematics
AS Level Sociology
AS Level Psychology

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi,

I currently am in the middle of A2 Psychology and Sociology. They both link exceptionally well in aspects like social and criminal psychology as I've learned so far. Sociology and Psychology together are two nice A Levels together as they practically go hand in hand.

However, in terms of your subjects, don't you think on you'd be taking on too much? I had to drop Spanish at AS after a few months as I couldn't handle the work load with my three other AS Levels. When you go into A2 it is brought up to a whole new level in terms of work load. Taking a language is difficult and with the three subjects you may find it a bit of a struggle. If you're wanting to go to university to do Psychology you'd be expected to get high grades in three a levels so if I were you don't take on too much to stress yourself out in the long run :smile:

Hope you find this a bit useful! :biggrin:
Reply 4
I took both and they were my favourite subjects. Having said that I did have to retake the exams in my second year. There's an awful lot of studies and theories to remember so these subjects are really for people who have a good memory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending