The Student Room Group

£1000 for a Corsa C

Is it possible to find a decent Corsa C 1.2L for £1000-£1200??

I don't want anything expensive, I just want a run-a-round for the first year.

I'm having difficulty on autotrader findinging something, all of them appear to be 100,000 + miles??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The corsa C is a very popular car so the only option at that price range is to get something over 100000 miles.

As long as it's been properly taken care of and serviced then it should be fine.

They're REALLY over priced for what they're worth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Camoxide
The corsa C is a very popular car so the only option at that price range is to get something over 100000 miles.

As long as it's been properly taken care of and serviced then it should be fine.

There's a couple for 80,000 miles, I have the money I just have no idea what to do when buying hmm
Reply 3
The Corsa may well be a popular vehicle, but there is a ridiculous amount of them! Offers should be accepted even if in great nick.
Reply 4
Be wary of insurance too. Corsas are popular boy racer cars and as a result = huge insurance premiums.
Reply 5
^
They were actually one of the cheapest cars to insurance when I was looking around
(well the Corsa B was)
Probably because they're so slow.
Reply 6
Original post by sabian92
Be wary of insurance too. Corsas are popular boy racer cars and as a result = huge insurance premiums.

Codswallop. If you want to get yourself a sporty looking thing and dress it up in all the gear with no idea, then expect a higher premium, otherwise most Corsa's will be very cheap.
Reply 7
Original post by Né Stig
Codswallop. If you want to get yourself a sporty looking thing and dress it up in all the gear with no idea, then expect a higher premium, otherwise most Corsa's will be very cheap.

I looked at quotes for me for a few cars, and Corsas as well as Saxos were significantly more expensive, and both are boy racer cars.
Reply 8
You'll get more for your money if you deal up on, for example, a Vectra?

Little hatchbacks hold their value even when they are knackered due to their popularity. A mid sized saloon with a base spec engine will give you more bang for your buck imho.
Reply 9
Original post by JC.

Little hatchbacks hold their value even when they are knackered due to their popularity. A mid sized saloon with a base spec engine will give you more bang for your buck imho.

I can vouch for this. I bought a Vectra for my first car, instead of the usual Corsas and whatnot. Insurance was cheaper. I paid £1128 insurance.
Reply 10
Original post by MrWhosane
I can vouch for this. I bought a Vectra for my first car, instead of the usual Corsas and whatnot. Insurance was cheaper. I paid £1128 insurance.

If we assume insurance is roughly the same or not significantly more expensive or cheaper in either direction, just for a giggle I've just been on auto trader to see what a grand buys you corsa vs vectra...

Vectra will get you up to around an 04 plate 1.8 petrol with 90k on the clock or maybe an 03 with 70k or a low mileage 02.
All with cloth, CD player, maybe alloys? Go a bit older you may even get design spec - so cruise, a/c leather etc...
Seems to be a good selection of cars out there for the money actually. Bit of a buyers market.

Corsa: Looking at an X reg to 51 plate so already an older car for the same 1k budget.
Mileage 70-100k and it's probably going to be a 1.0 3 pot or a 1.2 4 pot.

On paper the vectra will be a little dearer to run at the pump but nothing too terrible. Vectra's are also percieved as being a little boring so unlikely to have been owned by boy racer types.
Saloon will ride better and be more practical and for the same money have fewer miles and be a little newer.

Worth a second look then, perhaps?
Original post by JC.
If we assume insurance is roughly the same or not significantly more expensive or cheaper in either direction, just for a giggle I've just been on auto trader to see what a grand buys you corsa vs vectra...

Vectra will get you up to around an 04 plate 1.8 petrol with 90k on the clock or maybe an 03 with 70k or a low mileage 02.
All with cloth, CD player, maybe alloys? Go a bit older you may even get design spec - so cruise, a/c leather etc...
Seems to be a good selection of cars out there for the money actually. Bit of a buyers market.

Corsa: Looking at an X reg to 51 plate so already an older car for the same 1k budget.
Mileage 70-100k and it's probably going to be a 1.0 3 pot or a 1.2 4 pot.

On paper the vectra will be a little dearer to run at the pump but nothing too terrible. Vectra's are also percieved as being a little boring so unlikely to have been owned by boy racer types.
Saloon will ride better and be more practical and for the same money have fewer miles and be a little newer.

Worth a second look then, perhaps?

Mines a 2.0 DTI, does about 65 miles to a tenner, driving moderately and sometimes foot down in second, so about the same as a petrol 1.2 Corsa. The 1.8 does around 40-45 miles to a tenner though.

Mines also Design spec with the cruise control and whathaveyou like you said. Slightly higher mileage with 120k on the clock but frankly nothing on a diesel. Reason I bought this particular engine was it doesn't have flywheel problems like the 1.9 and I've seen taxis with 250-300k on the clock. Obviously it depends on maintenance but I reckon mine'll make it to 200k.
Reply 12
1.9 diesel is alfa romeo sourced IIRC and yes they have dual mass flywheel issues quite frequently and it's a grand minimum to put it right.
The 120bhp models are less affected by DMF failure, but they are a bit sluggish. The 150bhp models are virtually guaranteed to fail.

Definately an engine to avoid if you're shopping for either a Vectra or an Astra.
Original post by JC.
1.9 diesel is alfa romeo sourced IIRC and yes they have dual mass flywheel issues quite frequently and it's a grand minimum to put it right.
The 120bhp models are less affected by DMF failure, but they are a bit sluggish. The 150bhp models are virtually guaranteed to fail.

Definately an engine to avoid if you're shopping for either a Vectra or an Astra.

It's a Fiat 1.9 diesel, think Alfa's use them too actually.

But yeah, the reason the 2.0 doesn't have a flywheel common fault is because it's too bloody slow for the flywheel to mess up lol. Low torque and whatnot.
Reply 14
Original post by MrWhosane

Original post by JC.

This may be the case for you guys, however I've checked over 30 different cars, spent hours getting quotes, and the Corsa C is the cheapest by a long way. If I had my way I'd love to had a Ford Sierra or Vectra, however quotes are £5000 +
Reply 15
Hmm... well all I can say is get some named drivers on there with a good driving reccord (whether they will actually drive the car or not is immaterial) and get your mileage down - the national average is 12k per year, but your first year you likely won't clock up anything like that.
Reply 16
Rover 75?

Have you checked out any black box insurance? It was £760 to insure my car for a year with 0 years NCB
Reply 17
Rover 75?

Have you checked out any black box insurance? It was £760 to insure my car for a year with 0 years NCB

Original post by JC.
Hmm... well all I can say is get some named drivers on there with a good driving reccord (whether they will actually drive the car or not is immaterial) and get your mileage down - the national average is 12k per year, but your first year you likely won't clock up anything like that.

Thanks JC, always giving out good advice over the years!

And I don't trust myself on Black Box insurance, besides even if I did I wouldn't :smile: I've heard bad reviews, like premiums going up because of heavy accelartion/braking... it's bound to happen at junctions...

EDIT - Just checked again on a 2001 Vectra 1.8LS 16V, £895, 75,000 miles....

£2900 WITH the box, 3800 without. Corsa is exactly a grand cheaper with or without box, it looks so CLEAN too :frown:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491426477/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/transmission/manual/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/1000/model/vectra/make/vauxhall/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/200/postcode/se264dy/page/1?logcode=p
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
you know you can get a golf mk4 for the same ..
^
They were actually one of the cheapest cars to insurance when I was looking around
(well the Corsa B was)
Probably because they're so slow.

In my case, more pricey. A Yaris was the cheapest to insure for me

Quick Reply

Latest