The Student Room Group

religious and/or single sex schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dukeofwembley
so did osama bin laden!

Haha, you learn something new every day!
I went to an all girls boarding school, I think it was a very good school and I'm grateful for the fact I went there. I had no distractions (boys).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
I go to an all girls school an do find it great as I have no distractions and don't have to worry as much about appearance, even though I would loves boys there I know it helps my education in the long run :tongue:
My school is also religious I enjoy that as I feel it brings us together at times and gives more of s community sense however I know that some people don't feel the same way.
Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The existence of religious schools make me want to cut myself. It's that deeply upsetting that we still take religion seriously.
I'm at an all girls school & I really love the atmosphere it creates. There's a sense of comfort with one another that I don't think we would get with guys. I think it has allowed for a lot of us to get really close. However, I do feel like it has created more of a 'bubble' environment. In a sense I feel like I've missed out to some extent, guys tend to voice themselves differently in lessons and think differently, enhancing the whole experience. I have experienced this first hand as I have Politics co-ed with the guys down the road, and I feel as though I would enjoy my other lessons more if they were co-ed too.

As for religion, my school is vaguely religious. We sing hymns praising the Lord, and prayers in assembly that we all have to bow our heads for. Being an atheist, I used to feel uncomfortable doing this, and when I didn't bow my head when I was younger I was told off. I felt like I was being penalised for my religious beliefs. Now that I am older, I am confident in not singing and not bowing my head, and I feel like my beliefs are respected more as I am allowed to do so. I am grateful that my school is not stricter when it comes to religion.

That's just my opinion, hope it helps :smile:
Reply 45
1. Went to a mainstream religious primary school but that was not all too religious; we just said the lord's prayer in some of the assemblies and that was it. I wouldn't personally send my children to a religious school simply because I don't want them to spoil other little children's belief- I would imagine my children will be the very overly educated children that will be exposing the truths of santa, tooth fairy, sex, science and just general life woes

2. If it's a grammar school then you kind of have to expect single-sex; it's not too bad especially in sixth form if there is like the twin school so like a boy version and a girl version then they do a lot of integration; at least I found.

3. Don't really know but based on my reasons for not sending my children to religious schools, I probably wont be taking them to a religious single-sex one

4.Yep I go to a girls school, quite a prestigious one and the only issue is that there is a lot of pressure to do well... like unless you get all a stars at GCSEs, you don't talk about your results
(edited 11 years ago)
If the religious school teaches faith in realistic terms, i.e. "here is how Muslims see life, here is how Christians see life" in conjunction with Science and Evolution, then there is no problem; of course Science and Evolution should be given more precedence, and by more I mean *much more*. Unfortunately there are going to be faith schools present for a while, and criticisms and objective analysis towards them will fall on deaf ears - we can only ignore them as they are ignoring us, and exclude them from mainstream secular society - faith schools will not stand the test of time as we become more and more educated and academic as a civilised people.
I disagree with religious schools as I think religion should be something personal; something kept at home. In my area there are problems with religious schools in terms of that in some cases they are the best option of schools. This can result in children going to schools which dictate heavily against their own beliefs in the name of getting a good education and I don't think that any child can flourish in an environment in which they feel uncomfortable. I think education on religion should be included in the curriculum in the form of unbiased religious education, incorporating all faiths of pupil and helping them to understand one another's beliefs. This is another reason that I disagree with the principal of religious schools: in many cases being surrounded by members of their own faith can leave children with a naive view of the range of faiths and cultures of the modern world. Being in a school of mixed faith which educates unbiasedly on a multitude of religions will help children go into the world with a broader understanding and acceptance for others' religions.
When I was at school I thought mixed schools were best because of diversity best but having left school, met my partner and planning a family I think single sex schools, like the one he went to are better. I am also pro religious establishments, without religion in school we have nothing to question. I agree with PP about respecting peoples beliefs though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending