Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

History for AS?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about choosing History, I would just like to know the following:

1. How hard is it for AS only (not A2)?
    2. Is there coursework?
    3. Do you get a lot of homework?
    4. Is there a lot of test/revision?
    5. Is there really a lot of reading to do?
    6. Any advice you would like to give me for AS, don't plan to do it for A2 though.
    • 227 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isteven)
    Thinking about choosing History, I would just like to know the following:

1. How hard is it for AS only (not A2)?
    2. Is there coursework?
    3. Do you get a lot of homework?
    4. Is there a lot of test/revision?
    5. Is there really a lot of reading to do?
    6. Any advice you would like to give me for AS, don't plan to do it for A2 though.
    Before I answer just want to say I don't get any proper lessons, as I'm in year eleven...

1) it's not too hard, as long as you think carefully about how to.structure your arguments. Remember information and have a good knowledge... Also taking both sides into account.

2) nope
    3) I wouldn't know but a lot.of reading notes is probably essential.
    4) revision wise, a good reading through the week before is good with a few mock papers
    5) it's not loads of reading but itd help.more if you do
    6) find a nice structure to follow, don't be too mechanical, write concisely and nicely...

:puke: on that :badger:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    With any a-level, you're going to get tons of homework. And I mean TONS. And it will e much harder than GCSE, for any subject - and a lot of people don't realise this! But If you work hard you can do well.

Also, my friends take the subject, they tend to get essays quite a bit. A lot of things to remember too...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who happens to do this course and I used to know someone who did AS History as well:

1) I've been told it's "alright" as long as you 100% understand what is being discussed. Any AS might seem hard to you, this might be a bit harder than others due to it being considered a 'hard' subject by universities - but if you have the intellectual capacity, don't see why it shouldn't be capable.
    2) Nope.
    3) Just as regular as every subject really - although it tends to be essays more than anything else as a homework task.
    4) I would imagine so due to the 'hard' subject label.
    5) If you mean outside of college/sixth form - unsure, I'll have to ask.
    6) Just make sure you revise often and have the ability to deal with considerably longer lessons than usual - e.g. My college usually has 1 or 2 hour lessons, but some history lessons (and a select few others) are 3 hours long. I'd imagine it'd vary on the college, but my friend who does history in a different college also endures 3hour+ lessons.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Before I answer just want to say I don't get any proper lessons, as I'm in year eleven...

1) it's not too hard, as long as you think carefully about how to.structure your arguments. Remember information and have a good knowledge... Also taking both sides into account.

2) nope
    3) I wouldn't know but a lot.of reading notes is probably essential.
    4) revision wise, a good reading through the week before is good with a few mock papers
    5) it's not loads of reading but itd help.more if you do
    6) find a nice structure to follow, don't be too mechanical, write concisely and nicely...

:puke: on that :badger:
    Well thx for replying but I mean for A level's, I do it for GCSE's already im in yr 11 too. But was wondering how A level is like because heard its so much different compared to A level's.

Also
    If you mean outside of college/sixth form - unsure, I'll have to ask.
    I mean a lot of reading for homework.
    • 227 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well thx for replying but I mean for A level's, I do it for GCSE's already im in yr 11 too. But was wondering how A level is like because heard its so much different compared to A level's.

Also

I mean a lot of reading for homework.
    Yes, I meant AS as well. I did my GCSE in year nine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Yes, I meant AS as well. I did my GCSE in year nine.
    Oh wow, your smart
    • 227 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, your smart
    :nah: I just find it really interesting, my first as exam was on Nazi Germany!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.