The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of uni? (re-post)

I'm now half way through second year biology and I'm seriously considering quitting. I came to uni to have fun if I'm honest. In my head I had an idea that I'd have a group of really good friends who went out all the time, or that I'd get a girlfriend. Neither of these things have happened; I live with a house who never go out together, pretty much don't drink, and most of whom are in relationships.
I'm not interested in my course, I'm certain that I don't want to do anything biology related once I leave. I really struggle to get coursework done and to addend lectures. I feel like I'm going nowhere and wasting my life. I get very restless and depressed, especially on nights when lots of people go out, and I've taken to smoking weed to make me feel better, which I'm now borderline addicted to.
I've now decided that I want to go into the music industry like my dad, which a biology degree won't help at all with.

However, if I drop out I'll have wasted about £9000 (that's off the top of my head it could actually be more) in student loans... Admittedly I'd be saving the same but wouldn't get a degree for it. There's also no guarantee that I'll manage to get a job in the music industry, and I could find myself thinking "**** I should really have stuck with that biology degree"...
On top of that there will be a period of at least 6 months most likely much much more where I'm stuck at home with my parents looking for work experience placements and if I'm lucky working in Tesco or the likes, although having looked for a job the last two summers I've found it impossible to find anything in my area.

I'm very unsure of what to do, and it's a fairly urgent decision because I'm going to have to lay down a £350 deposit on a new house for third year this wednesday if I'm staying.
Reply 1
Well, for the music industry you don't especially need a degree that focuses on the subject to get you in, you just need the experience. You've got a year and a half before you need to go job hunting that you can use to start working on side projects that will help you get to where you want.

The Biology degree may not help you directly, but it's better than having to work in a bar or similar to make ends meet while you try and break into the music industry. So I would stick with it for now. And consider joining societies if you can to meet people and make new friends. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest